Enid Blyton still a favourite. For you, too?

sakhi

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 02:39 am
Loved all the books you all mentioned. But my favorite was the Enchanted wood/Magic Faraway tree series Smile
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 02:46 am
Rhamag wrote:
Can't remember the names of all the characters but one was maybe Jack and had a parrot, and Lucy (?) who were brother & sister, and two others who were brother and sister One was maybe Philip?

I think it was Jack, Dinah, Lucy, and Philip...
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 03:30 am
I loved the adventure ones - hated Noddy even when I was very little - but my favourites were the 'mystery' series - The Ring o'bells mystery and the Rat a Tat mystery etc.

I used to re-read them in bed on summer evenings when it was light and I was supposed to be asleep.

Yes. msolga George was a much more in depth character than goody-goody girly Anne! I always felt that she was EB's favourite,

My daughter used to use tapes of the Sea of Adventure to get her off to sleep - she must have known it by heart!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 03:57 am
Vivien wrote:
Yes. msolga George was a much more in depth character than goody-goody girly Anne! I always felt that she was EB's favourite ...

Yes, Vivien! George was my role model as a wee young thing! What a girl! Laughing Nothing like that wishy-washy, mamby-pamby wuss, Anne! Razz
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 04:06 am
<i>Everyone</i> likes George....I seem to be the only one who liked Anne Sad

And then in "Little Women" too...Jo's everyone's favorite. But I always liked Meg and next best's Amy....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 04:08 am
Very curious taste you have, chinmayee_s! Surprised Very Happy
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 04:11 am
Embarrassed
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 04:22 am
You're a real girl, chinmayee_s! Very Happy :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 02:21 pm
Chinmayee was an old fashioned girl--which is a very acceptable way to become a complete woman.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 11:07 pm
Smile
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 11:08 pm
Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 02:09 am
Just curious, Noddy: Did you ever read any Enid Blyton in your neck of the woods?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 12:54 pm
Msolga--

I've never read an Enid Blyton--although one of these days when I'm feeling very solvent, I'll order a copy from Amazon UK.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 02:28 pm
you probably needed to grow up with them Noddy - a world where children go off camping on lonely islands alone (with heroic dog), sort out gangs of smugglers while they are there or spies or whatever, all with honourable and polite behaviour Very Happy

Anne was a very girly girl who never dealt with baddies but bandaged injuries and did the homely stuff and George (Georgina) was the tomboy in with the action. Julian and Dick were the boys, Julian was the stiff upper lipped responsible leader.

Very much of its era and yet my daughter and other kids still loved them today!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 03:08 pm
Vivien--

We have similar stories by indigenous authors.

Rule #l: Remove adults.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 03:40 pm
exactly Laughing
0 Replies

benacre

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 01:48 pm
Enid Blyton was my favorite childhood Author. I liked the Magic Faraway Tree trilogy.

Still read her books.
Benacre
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 02:28 am
benacre wrote:
Enid Blyton was my favorite childhood Author. I liked the Magic Faraway Tree trilogy.

Still read her books.
Benacre

You still read them, benacre? I was just wondering, after reading your comment, what I'd make of those books I loved so much as a child, as an adult. I love the Magic Faraway Tree, too! Very Happy
0 Replies

benacre

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 11:13 am
Childish but in an adult mind just as good as when I really was a child
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 04:15 pm
I must try it at some time, too! Very Happy
0 Replies