[answered]Is anyone else here getting...

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:16 am
pop-ups for a pop up blocker while using a2k? Started about 3 days ago, only when i'm on a2k.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,992 • Replies: 20
No top replies

husker

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:17 am
nope
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:23 am
nope
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:24 am
nope
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:25 am
Thanks, thats very helpful...lol Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:27 am
Your PC may be infected with something. I believe that is a common symptom.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:41 am
I occasionally get pop-ups here while browsing, but I just run all my spyware programs and they go away.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:45 am
nope

Run Ad Aware and see what you come up with. You may be hijacked - if you are, head to the Internet forum and follow the directions under timberlandko's topic about spyware.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 11:02 am
I regularly get pop-ups while I'm at A2K - on my work puter, and at Setanta's - but not on my home puter.

I had the work lads look at it - they confirmed it's related to this site. Nothing harmful, so far, so we're just coping with the annoyance factor.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:06 pm
Beth,

Tell your work folk to learn about computers. It's because you have spyware and is only related to this site in that the spyware you have triggers pops by URLs (spyware has long done this to try to make users think it's from a site, and not look not look into getting rid of spyware on their puters).

We don't use popup advertising and will block any pop campaigns that slip through our filters.

If you want to accept your spyware as an annoyance then that's fine, but I will make it clear to others that your popups are due to spyware on your computer and not due to anything on our end.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:08 pm
Well I adjusted my cookies, so we'll see if it helps. Thanks craven!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:09 pm
stand up for pessimism,

Out of curiosity:

1) Are they in the shape of a toolbar? i.e. under the address bars etc.

If so, that may be XP sp2's new popup blocker.

2) Have you received any PMs during that period?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:11 pm
stand up for pessimism wrote:
Well I adjusted my cookies, so we'll see if it helps. Thanks craven!

Cookies will not make a difference with popups or spyware.

<sigh>

I really need to just get used to the idea of people being fine with having infected computers.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:56 pm
This may be an HD thing, but has anyone seen that commercial with the giant trojan horse, rolling down a city street, saying things like "Can I borrow your network, for just a minute?", and "You've got data in there. Can I look at your data?".

Freakin hilarious. I believe it is an IBM commercial.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:01 pm
I have to echo Craven's sentiments here. I am a total end-user, and have commented in the past about pop-ups on A2K. I got the spyware stuff. If popups start here, that are not PMs, I update and run the software, and it goes away.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:58 pm
cjhsa

That commercial IS hilarious! The tone of voice is what gets me.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 03:24 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Beth,

Tell your work folk to learn about computers. It's because you have spyware and is only related to this site in that the spyware you have triggers pops by URLs (spyware has long done this to try to make users think it's from a site, and not look not look into getting rid of spyware on their puters).

We don't use popup advertising and will block any pop campaigns that slip through our filters.

If you want to accept your spyware as an annoyance then that's fine, but I will make it clear to others that your popups are due to spyware on your computer and not due to anything on our end.

That is interesting - my work computer is infected with spyware, too, then - I had pop-up city when I accessed here from work yesterday - and they refused to go away - had to click them and click them. I have never seen anything like it.

Of to the remove spyware threads....damn.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:41 pm
Ok, I just found out something interesting. When I installed the sp2, a thing popped up saying I have no anti virus software...I thought I did...hmm...so anyway, I downloaded "luke filewalker" I don't know how good it is, or whatever, but there were quite a few trojan things, and one worm. Since I ran the program, I havn't had any pop ups. "It's easier to blame someone else then ourselves"
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 12:13 am
That's a nice first step, now if someone can convince Beth to clean her computer and stop blaming her infections on A2K.....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 10:58 am
Sorry, lad, but I'll let the i.t. department take care of my work puter.

My home puter is fine, except for the new post dump, which is a very different issue.
0 Replies