Overused words that need to disappear

Fri 6 May, 2016 03:59 pm
I would like to never see the word "iconic" in a newspaper, magazine, or hear it spoken on a TV show-biz celebration. I also never want to see, iconic, iconic, iconic, plethora, iconic, iconic and lastly, iconic. Don't any of the reporters (sic) own a thesaurus?

ossobuco

Fri 6 May, 2016 04:07 pm
@glitterbag,
Amazing was overused a lot for quite a few years in recent times. I most remember it from when I still read fashion articles. That one word helped me to overcome any remaining interest I had in fashion design. Luckily, I like many kinds of design, so the loss isn't difficult.

The word may still be going strong in some circles.

The trouble is that there are occasions when iconic and amazing can be appropriate words.
glitterbag

Fri 6 May, 2016 04:11 pm
@ossobuco,
I also am getting weary of having a conversation with someone who exclaims "exactly!" after each sentence I speak. But that's not anywhere near as irritating as iconic.
roger

Fri 6 May, 2016 05:07 pm
@glitterbag,
Exactly!

You knew someone was going to say it, now didn't you?
PUNKEY

Fri 6 May, 2016 07:20 pm
So . . . at the beginning of EVERY sentence.

Transparency.

Tremendous
0 Replies

glitterbag

Fri 6 May, 2016 07:41 pm
@roger,
Exactly!
Sturgis

Fri 6 May, 2016 07:43 pm
@glitterbag,
That was like ya know like so like awesome
roger

Fri 6 May, 2016 07:50 pm
@Sturgis,
Exactly! Like, you know, right?
ossobuco

Fri 6 May, 2016 07:50 pm
@Sturgis,
Very Good, Sturgis: I count that as 4 points..

really!

0 Replies

roger

Fri 6 May, 2016 07:51 pm
@roger,
How about meetings that inform us we've all got to give 110%, and there is no I in Team?

Not single words, but still. . . .
glitterbag

Fri 6 May, 2016 07:53 pm
@glitterbag,
Here's another one that drives me crazy, and its usually said by 20 - 30 somethings, when you say something they agree with they say "Thank you" and smile broadly and shake their heads vigorously. I think it means they agree or like what you said. So my dilemma is, what's the proper thing to say? Should I say Thank You, and if I don't, am I being rude?
roger

Fri 6 May, 2016 07:58 pm
@glitterbag,
If you're a veteran, you just might, possible be tired of hearing "Thank you for your service". Since I didn't enlist on some date like December 8, 1941, it's entirely likely I just needed a job that came with paid training.
glitterbag

Fri 6 May, 2016 07:58 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

How about meetings that inform us we've all got to give 110%, and there is no I in Team?

Not single words, but still. . . .

Good one, drives me batty. I actually like had like a boss who would um... say like "Let's run it up like the flagpole and like see who salutes it" Well he didn't use like between every word but he loved those little things like (I meant to say 'such as') "think outside of the box", Arrrgghhhh
0 Replies

glitterbag

Fri 6 May, 2016 08:05 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

If you're a veteran, you just might, possible be tired of hearing "Thank you for your service". Since I didn't enlist on some date like December 8, 1941, it's entirely likely I just needed a job that came with paid training.

My husband is a vet and that "than you for your service" makes him groan. It's become meaningless, but our service members should be respected for their service. When I see uniformed people at the airport I say Welcome home. I live in Annapolis very close to the Naval Academy, so saying thank you for your service all the time would give me laryngitis. Not everybody at the Academy is a midshipman, there are a lot of Officers running around the area.
0 Replies

snood

Fri 6 May, 2016 10:56 pm
It reached overused status a decade ago, but I think "awesome" is still overused. I hate when they describe every woman anywhere who is good at anything as a "diva". My most hated phrases? "It is what it is" - spoken solemnly, like the speaker has conveyed an actual freaking thought. Also, "I know, right?" - to express solidarity with whoever is speaking about whatever. As in, "Man, you can't tell what this weather is going to do next." "I know, right?"
TomTomBinks

Fri 6 May, 2016 11:15 pm
@snood,
"Shifting the paradigm" is annoying especially when referring to something mundane. Also the word "Solutions" in the names of companies.
roger

Fri 6 May, 2016 11:25 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Fortunately, that one is not nearly as common as earlier.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Fri 6 May, 2016 11:35 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

It reached overused status a decade ago, but I think "awesome" is still overused. I hate when they describe every woman anywhere who is good at anything as a "diva". My most hated phrases? "It is what it is" - spoken solemnly, like the speaker has conveyed an actual freaking thought. Also, "I know, right?" - to express solidarity with whoever is speaking about whatever. As in, "Man, you can't tell what this weather is going to do next." "I know, right?"

I'm late to the party, I also scream when I hear some one say "It is what it is". I hear that on tv every time they interview victims or suspects and they all toss out "IIWII" as if it explains anything. People, build your vocabulary so you don't constantly repeat trite crap and lose the folks who can't absorb anymore 'IIWII" and it just floats away.
Lordyaswas

Sat 7 May, 2016 12:52 am
Literally, and so.

If someone starts another paragraph with so, I will literally pull their head off.
glitterbag

Sat 7 May, 2016 01:36 am
@Lordyaswas,
Yikes I think I do that but I promise NEVER to do it again. Embarrassed I'll pick up another word, (skulks away in shame)

1. Forums
  2. » Overused words that need to disappear
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:52:20