Sat 7 May, 2016 01:40 am
A good read.....
Why not a good book?
So that is exactly why I do not answer that kind of awesome questions
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 7 May, 2016 02:32 am
@Lordyaswas,
So, it was a dark and stormy night, the plague ridden child crawled bravely to her grandfathers like opium club, if her daddy was in the den he like might help her score her like her next hit. But the clouds gathered in a menacing fashion. Uncharacteristically, the thugs were like watching like dirty old granddad, and like granddad was a revolting lump of crap so awful that he didn't need like anymore hassle.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 7 May, 2016 03:10 am
I enjoy (Rolling Eyes) talking to people, some as young as their 30s, wno are apparently suffering from early on-set Alzheimer's . . .

"I was watching the news, and that guy . . . what the hell's his name . . . that anchorman . . . anyway, on the, uh . . . the . . . some network, you know which one . . . and he was talkin' about the uh . . . the uh . . . the primaries, that's it . .. and he was sayin' how that one guy, you know, the idiot . . . who'was sayin' that they should pass a bill about that . . . uhm . . . that economy thing . . . the one about trade . . . you know what i mean?"

"Oh yeah, yeah . . . that p*sses me off, too."

Of course, what i should really say is: "No, i don't have a clue what you're talking about, and i suspect you don't either."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 7 May, 2016 08:23 am
@glitterbag,
I used to do that from time to time. I used it once lately as a starter, meaning therefore.
Ragman

Sat 7 May, 2016 09:20 am
This one drives me up a wall. This is a new trend in the last few years but it's now everywhere in media.

The choice of the word optics when they (media) intends the meaning to be how something appears. Media misuse is rampant and epidemic.

For example, "the optics of how far Stanton hit that Home Runball". That sort of discussion is not about how the light is produced or reproduced. The actual meaning would be best served by using the phrase visual or visual effect.

The same phenomenon applies to something psychological...e.g., how a campaign is run and 'spin control'...the optics of a candidate kissing a baby. Clearly, it is the visual that the media should be writing about.

Optics actually are the production or reproduction or transmission of light using mechanical or technological (visual) devices such as microscopes telescopes, TV/HDTV, cameras, mirrors, lasers, etc.

Why not use a better word and call them visuals?

I'll tell you why - because they're friggin' illiterates - trying to destroy the English language a chunk at a time.
Ragman

Sat 7 May, 2016 09:53 am
@Ragman,
...And, yes, I know that online dictionaries list it with the reference to political implications. It's still abuse and misuse of language. (Ain't is listed in the dictionary, as well.)
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Sat 7 May, 2016 10:02 am
@ossobuco,
I can understand its use sometimes, like when one asks a question or is summarising, but everyday in every way usage drives me mad.

It's usually the opener for a verbal mini play, where the person sounds as if they are reading a script verbatim.

Act 1, Scene 2:
So, there I was in the Mall and he was like "Whoa!", and I was like "don't sound so surpised" and he was like "I thought you were away for the weekend" and I was like "No".'

Thinking about it, maybe I should add 'was like' to my list.

And 'youknowwhatI'msaying?"

Aaaaargh!
ossobuco

Sat 7 May, 2016 10:07 am
@Lordyaswas,
Agree..
ossobuco

Sat 7 May, 2016 10:14 am
@ossobuco,
When I complained about use of the word really, it was with awareness that I used to say it way too much.

Some years ago, my husband, a literature major and excellent speaker, got caught in an overused wording thicket: you know. Once it started he used it for a few months, and it was maddening. I don't think we argued about it, as he could hear himself. He had some trouble stopping it - this overuse stuff can be like a tic, or even a tick. He prevailed and stopped it.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Sat 7 May, 2016 10:17 am
'I'm good' gets my goat as well.

I asked how you were, not what you were.

How are you?

I'm good.

At what?

Pardon?

What exactly are you good at?

Why do you want to know that?

It's just that you said you were good, but didn't specify what you were good at.

You're a weirdo.

I know. I'm British. Anyway, how are you?

I'm good.

I am becoming a grumpy old git.
glitterbag

Sat 7 May, 2016 12:16 pm
@Lordyaswas,
The word 'good' is used in many situations, the waitress asks if you would care for more coffee, the reply is often 'I'm good'., that means they don't want any more coffee right at that time. Then there is the "It's all good" as if you have uttered something truly profound. I'm getting more than irritated by the phrase 'you tripping' and those morons who say they asked their friend to borrow them some money, they mean LOAN. I'll be back later, I think my head exploded.
0 Replies

chai2

Sat 7 May, 2016 01:58 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

I can understand its use sometimes, like when one asks a question or is summarising, but everyday in every way usage drives me mad.

I've read of other people here driven to distraction by people starting sentences with "so"

I will gladly admit I do it all the time, and have never thought of it as being a negative. I never even knew people noticed it.

In fact I had to google why some people find it wrong to start a sentence with "so".

Here's the link.

http://www.npr.org/2015/09/03/432732859/so-whats-the-big-deal-with-starting-a-sentence-with-so

After reading though carefully, I still don't understand what's wrong with saying it.

Yeah, it's letting the listener know there's going to be some backstory. Honestly? I'm all about the backstory. Without backstory, you're just going to ask me 5 or 6 questions, and after the 2nd one I'm going to have to say "Look, let me just tell you what's going on."

As per the article, I don't use it to sound important, quite the opposite. It feels like I'm giving an opener to the other person to disagree, correct or expand on what I said.

I sure don't use it as a weasel word to avoid giving a straight answer. I'm gong to give you a complete answer so you don't have to waste your time, or bug me with questions.

If someone in a store asks me where the ketchup is, I'll say "I think it's on aisle 3" If someone asks me how I manage to make my scrambled eggs so fluffy, I might start with "So, there's a couple of tricks to it...."

I use it like "Well", or "Oh"
chai2

Sat 7 May, 2016 02:01 pm
@chai2,

I dunno, I think it sounds cute.
djjd62

Sat 7 May, 2016 03:17 pm
Overused words that need to disappear

for a start

conservative, republican, liberal, democrat, potus, election, hillary, trump, bernie
djjd62

Sat 7 May, 2016 03:29 pm
@djjd62,
super delegate

though if i had a choice of super delegate, i'd take the soup every time
TomTomBinks

Sat 7 May, 2016 06:36 pm
@djjd62,
I would choose the super sandwich!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 7 May, 2016 06:46 pm
I almost forgot, the iconic 'yafeelme'
roger

Sat 7 May, 2016 07:09 pm
@glitterbag,
I hear ya.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 7 May, 2016 07:14 pm
@chai2,
a street term "NOME SANE ?" . always presented as a question , ( it is the ebonic form of "Know what Im saying?") and always sounding just as stupid as "YA KNOW?".

ossobuco

Sat 7 May, 2016 07:19 pm
@glitterbag,
Never heard of that..
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 06:04:24