Overused words that need to disappear

TomTomBinks

Sat 7 May, 2016 07:25 pm
@farmerman,
Prison slang. This is very annoying to me as well because it sounds so LAZY. Not even an attempt at enunciation.
ossobuco

Sat 7 May, 2016 07:34 pm
@TomTomBinks,
You poor thing.

That was probably from Jackie Gleason, but fits.
TomTomBinks

Sat 7 May, 2016 08:01 pm
@ossobuco,
???
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 7 May, 2016 08:15 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't take people in prison who don't speak as you do, with precision, as lazy by definition.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Sat 7 May, 2016 08:43 pm
"You got it" when giving an order at a bar or restaurant.

"And why wouldn't I " when asked if they would like something.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sun 8 May, 2016 02:39 am
Terrorism

Quote:
Guido Menzio, an economist at the University of Pennsylvania, was working on a differential equation while waiting for the Syracuse-bound plane to take off from Philadelphia, the Washington Post reported. He had to present the findings of a working paper at Queen's University. But a passenger somehow mistook the equation for Arabic or some sort of Islamic code for a terrorist attack.

That's how the 41-minute flight ended up delayed by two hours—a false alarm the olive-skinned, curly, dark-haired native Italian chalked up to racial profiling.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 8 May, 2016 03:26 am
@djjd62,
That POTUS crap drives me crazy, along with SCOTUS. I suspect people use it because they think it makes them look knowing, as though they were some kind of insider. Actually, it just makes them look stupid. One doesn't call the nation to the south of you TUSOA.
djjd62

Sun 8 May, 2016 04:51 am
@Setanta,
maybe i'm just envious that we can't use some cool acronym for our leaders, PMOC (Prime Minister of Canada) doesn't roll of the tongue

now POO (Premier of Ontario), could be very effective depending on the party in power
Setanta

Sun 8 May, 2016 04:59 am
Hmmm . . . that has possibilities

Governor of Oregon
Mayor of Orlando
Legislature of Oklahoma

The bind moggles . . .
0 Replies

saab

Sun 8 May, 2016 05:08 am
@Setanta,
What is Potus and Scotus?
Sounds like some sort of skin problem.
Setanta

Sun 8 May, 2016 05:21 am
@saab,
Ha! skin disease . . . i like that.

POTUS means President of the United States, and SCOTUS means Supreme Court of the United States. However, when making abbreviations in English, conjunctions, articles and prepositions are not included in the abbreviation. As an example, AFL-CIO stands for the American Federation of Labor--Congress of Industrial Organizations--the underlined words are not included in the abbreviation. I suspect that "POTUS" was dreamed up by bone-heads in the Secret Service, and then repeated by people like Tom Clancy who wanted to sound like insiders. I'm sure that SCOTUS was just a case of expanding the idiocy.
saab

Sun 8 May, 2016 06:26 am
@Setanta,
...and the next president will be either Hilarious or Trompus?
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Sun 8 May, 2016 06:54 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

What is Potus and Scotus?
Sounds like some sort of skin problem.

I heard FLOTUS for the first time recently, and thought it sounded like one of those turds that just will not flush.
Foofie

Sun 8 May, 2016 12:38 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

It reached overused status a decade ago, but I think "awesome" is still overused. I hate when they describe every woman anywhere who is good at anything as a "diva". My most hated phrases? "It is what it is" - spoken solemnly, like the speaker has conveyed an actual freaking thought. Also, "I know, right?" - to express solidarity with whoever is speaking about whatever. As in, "Man, you can't tell what this weather is going to do next." "I know, right?"

Word up!
0 Replies

roger

Sun 8 May, 2016 04:11 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I love it!
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 9 May, 2016 08:57 am
These phases drive me crazy..

"....for one" and then there is no two... You can't have a for one without at least a two!

adding "by the way" redundant. I hate wasting words, by the way.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 9 May, 2016 09:27 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
maybe i'm just envious that we can't use some cool acronym for our leaders, PMOC (Prime Minister of Canada) doesn't roll of the tongue

pee mock
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 9 May, 2016 09:30 am
cheers used for any reason in a restaurant/club/pub setting

hate it

pretty much guaranteed to have a negative effect on the server's tip

say it to me at work and you're going to get side-eye
0 Replies

djjd62

Tue 10 May, 2016 06:54 am
trigger warning

this was part of a sentence from a census discussion on facebook

"I was offended (almost triggered)..."

0 Replies

neologist

Tue 10 May, 2016 11:45 am
@glitterbag,
Awesome topic, Gbag!
Like - I really appreciate it.

Exactly what was needed

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 03:40:45