Music to the masses: BBC plans opera by stealth

Col Man

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 10:04 am
LONDON (AFP) - If the people won't go to the opera, bring the opera to them -- and when they least expect it.

In a somewhat unorthodox addition to its autumn television schedules, the BBC has announced that next month it will surprise commuters by staging an opera at an unnamed London rail station, without any warning.

The 65-strong orchestra and three opera singers will swoop unannounced, with selected members of the public joining in as a chorus after being contacted at the last minute by mobile phone text message.

The event, to be broadcast on the BBC3 satellite channel, is based on the concept of "flashmobbing", an Internet craze in which people agree to converge in a public area and join in a seemingly random act.

"Flashmob -- The Opera" had been specifically designed to make opera more appealing to younger audiences, said BBC3 controller Stuart Murphy.

"We were trying to work out how we could do something that is a big event and that audiences would find entertaining," he said.

"We want this to work for audiences who might only recognise opera music from TV adverts," he explained.

Murphy said he hoped the sudden appearance of the singing spectacle, which melds classic music from the likes of "Madame Butterfly", "Don Giovanni" and "La Traviata" with a new, modern love story, would "baffle commuters".

"I like the idea of someone commuting and suddenly there's an opera singer belting out an aria and a massive concert orchestra performing," he said, adding that it was unlikely people's commutes would be delayed.

"The train times will still be up on the screens so, unless they are monumentally stupid, I don't think they will miss their trains," he said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,624 • Replies: 40
No top replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 10:07 am
I'm glad to see that my TV licence fee is being spent wisely by the BBC...
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 10:10 am
Laughing hi duke good day 2u Smile
yeah f ing tv license biggest rip off going...
thankfully i dont have a tv so f em all Razz
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 10:14 am
Hey, you guys:

I'm betting that at least £100,000 has gone into this, considering the fact that they're hiring an orchestra, performance rights, etc... to cheapen classic arie; and, even if one wanted to watch it (which I certainly don't,) it's on BBC3, a digital only channel that most people can't get due to ærial problems.

Yes, I'm glad that I'm moving away from English logic.

0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 03:03 pm
Re: Music to the masses: BBC plans opera by stealth
Col Man wrote:
"Flashmob -- The Opera" had been specifically designed to make opera more appealing to younger audiences, said BBC3 controller Stuart Murphy.

----

"We want this to work for audiences who might only recognise opera music from TV adverts," he explained.

These 2 quotes made me laugh.

1) 99.9% of young people will laugh at anyone playing opera, whether it's in the Royal Albert Hall, or Bethnall Green Tube station. Doing it in the street will not make it more interesting. Perhaps if they changed the tunes and put the words in English... but then it wouldn't be opera any more.

2) People only recognise opera from adverts because they don't buy it or pay to see it live BECAUSE THEY DON'T LIKE IT.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 03:24 pm
Good to know that I am, as ever, in .1% of the population.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 03:30 pm
theres always a horse for every course...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 04:04 am
I like Opera too, Fortune. This, however, will be in English, and sang majorally by people without classical training, so I'll miss it out. The fact that 'Sweeney Todd' is considered a good English opera makes me long for the Italians.

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 02:09 pm
Ha ha! I remember seeing that. It had a couple of funny parts but nothing really phenomenal.

Actually the production I saw was more interesting for the act that they had no real set or props. The entire thing took place in and around he orchestra itself, quite creative really.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 02:49 pm
Sometimes, that can be awfully pretentious. One such example was 'Dogville,' which I personally did not much like.

What is your favourite opera, Fortune?

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:12 pm
Strictly speaking it aint opera but i've got a soft spot for Gilbert and Sullivan.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:17 pm
I liked HMS Pinafore... G&S were crazily inventive.

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:23 pm
I don't suppose you ever saw a recording of the production of Pirates of Penzance starring John English (an Australian, funnily enough), it was absolutely hilarious!
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:50 pm
i rather be tortured than listen to this kind of thing

give me booming dance music, sweaty bodies and scantily clad ladies any day.....
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:52 pm
But Col: if you are above base desires, why want sweaty bodies and scantily-clad women Wink?

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:53 pm
fortune wrote:
I don't suppose you ever saw a recording of the production of Pirates of Penzance starring John English (an Australian, funnily enough), it was absolutely hilarious!

I did not, Fortune; would you recommend my rooting for it? Is that your favourite G&S recording?

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:58 pm
i didnt say i was above base ideas
i said im not driven by them
and that i have more than this
there is a big difference Razz
i am still a sexual being and i love sexuality and sex with the right women Wink
balance is that what im on about... balance
having everything
some people go too far up the basal road
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 04:01 pm
Who are the wrong women?

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 04:03 pm
ohh
hmm maybe the wrong women are the ones that say no....

the wrong women are the ones it doesnt feel right with
you know... theres got to be a certain connection, a certain vibe ....
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 04:07 pm
Definitely my favourite G&S recording, Drom.

Col, I like many styles of music. If I was in a night club I definitely wouldn't be wanting to hear opera. If I was at the opera I wouldn't be wanting to hear dance music. Everything in it's place. As you say it's about balance, having everything.
0 Replies