'Hippie Dictionary' tells it like it was, man

Col Man

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 09:51 am
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/reuters_ids/20040824/i/744795010.jpg

BOSTON (Reuters) - Are you feeling screwed, blued and tattooed because the man slipped it to you? Like, stay loose, hit the pad and share a thumb with your pash.

Huh?

If that made no sense to you, check out "The Hippie Dictionary" by John McCleary. Using the new book to translate, readers come up with the more conventional: Are you feeling mistreated by the authorities? Relax, go home to bed and share a very large marijuana cigarette with your significant other."

Those expecting the dictionary, published by Ten Speed Press, to be a stodgy reference work are in for a jolt.

McCleary's book is chock-full of pointed editorialising, slang and swear words culled from the vernacular of the 1960s and 1970s hippie youth, who questioned authority and created their own counterculture.

McCleary said he wouldn't have it any other way.

"In order to be truthful to the era, I had to put every term that I could remember in the dictionary," McCleary, who spent eight years writing and compiling the 700-page tome, said in an interview.

Hence, among the book's entries are such gems as "absofuckinglutely" (without a doubt), "hey man" (the most prevalent greeting of the era) and "swacked" (high on drugs or alcohol).

One of the more amusing entries is found under "like," which McCleary calls an unnecessary word that along with "you know" and "I mean" has come to dominate U.S. speech.

"What is strange about these exclamations is that, even though they have no real bearing on the conversation, they indicate a desire ... to communicate with clarity and understanding."

'INTELLECTUAL RENAISSANCE'

The vocabulary of the hippie era came in large part from the beat generation, jazz and blues music, African-American culture, Eastern religion and the British musical invasion of the early 1960s, McCleary said.

As part of their countercultural thinking, he noted, hippies tended to imbue words and phrases with new meanings.

Many of these new meanings related to drugs and sexuality -- topics "The Hippie Dictionary" does not shirk. Despite his focus on such terms, McCleary feels strongly that the hippie era marked the "intellectual renaissance" of the 20th century.

"If the hippies had been listened to (then) 9/11 would not have happened," he added. "Had the hippie ideals been followed, we would be in a different world altogether right now."

In fact, the book's entry for the term "hippie" says, "The true hippie believes in and works for truth, generosity, peace, love and tolerance. The messengers of sanity in a world filled with greed, intolerance and war."

If McCleary sounds enamoured with the era, it's because he is. A self-described ageing hippie, he experienced an epiphany at the age of 24 -- during 1967's "summer of love."

"I saw Janis Joplin sing 'Ball and Chain' at the Monterey Pop Festival' and it changed my life," he said.

After that, he took to sporting striped bell-bottoms, experimenting with drugs and sex and hitting hippie haunts around the world.

McCleary, now 61 and working as a part-time carpenter from his home in Monterey, California, said he has no regrets.

"Everything I did, including the sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll, I'm proud of because it was an experimentation, a statement of joy," he said.

'NO APOLOGIES'

Just as he voiced no regrets over his behaviour, McCleary has no apologies for expressing highly subjective views in what is ostensibly a reference book.

In his entry on President John F. Kennedy's assassination, he wrote, "It is interesting to note that liberals are the ones who are killed in their prime, and conservatives die old in their soft beds. This world would be a better place in which to live if John Kennedy, Robert Kennedy, and Martin Luther King, Jr., had lived to die in their soft beds."

McCleary said his editorialising is necessary because the hippie era was a very opinionated period and some of the themes he touches on help illustrate the hippie philosophy.

By the same token, McCleary said omitting crude language or references to hard drugs would be academically incorrect.

"I will not defend the vulgarity or naivete of the era, except to say that we were experimenting and learning what might work in the future for human beings," he wrote.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,218 • Replies: 27
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 10:17 am
I mean, like totauckinlutely groovy, chives Very Happy.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 12:17 pm
Laughing Wink
Very Happy yeah man.. totally bodacious dude Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 12:22 pm
His definition of hippie is way off base. Everyone knows that a hippie is just an 'E' with style.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 12:25 pm
Laughing

Heavens, it's sad to think how many ex-hippies are in middle-management to-day.

0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 12:29 pm
I know a couple who are CEOs and CFOs.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 12:36 pm
good for them Smile
i say a hippy for president and prime minister Exclamation
more hippies in the UN too Exclamation
im a hippy running his own company.. Exclamation Very Happy
its a mandatory law that if people work for me they have to smoke pot and have long hair Wink and they cant wear a suit... thats against the law...
we are a dying breed it seems Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 01:03 pm
They're probably not hippies any longer, are they? That's what I was referring to.

A hippy President would be wonderful. I thought that the UN was already hippy, though. There's never quite an experience as seeing Boutros Boutros Gali and Kofi Annan flowerdance at the handing over ceremony.

0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 01:20 pm
Ever wonder why, in the sixties, a hip 'E' was added to the end of 'styl'? So the commie Russkies wouldn't rule the fashion runways. I promise that's the last you'll hear of this pun. Laughing
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 01:23 pm
The guy who wrote it put in all the terms he can remember? What's that old saying about the '60s: If you can remember it, you probably weren't there...

I must just have to shine it on...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 02:02 pm
Interesting. Where can we see this dictionary? Perhaps purchase a copy?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 04:06 am
Here you go, Eoe:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1580083552/103-0638562-0739016?v=glance

663 pages!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 04:56 am
When i was doing advanced individual training at the Medical Field Service School at Fort Sam Houston, the CID (Army's Criminal Investigation Department) put a "plant" in our battalion who was so obvious it was embarrassing. One of our inveterate jokers took the boy under his wing, and instructed him in the intracacies of langauge which he would have to master in order to blend in. In no time at all, this poor sap was saying things like "right arm," and "outta state," and "i can smell where you're comin' from." Everyone reacted more or less with a straight face, and the poor guy was convinced that no one was more hip than him.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 04:59 am
Hahaha; poor thing! Did he never realise that that the whole thing was a joke?

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 05:02 am
No . . . this guy was so dense, when off duty he would wear nehru jackets in bright colors, cheap gaudy beads and huge, round lens sunglasses. He had the Hollywood hippie stereotype down pat. We were informed by the company clerk that he had assured the First Sergeant that there was no drug abuse in our company, and he knew this because he was so thick with everyone else. He was thick, alright. We laughed a good deal at that one, and rolled and smoked another one.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 06:03 am
Laughing

I wonder how the guy turned out in the end? How old was he when he was pretending to be in the clique?

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 10:32 am
I'd say about 20 to 23 . . . we were all shipped overseas, and never saw him again. We had plenty of experience with CID later on, though, and they proved that they had mastered a high level of cluelessness . . .
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 10:43 am
It's awful to think that there are 'important' officials who are this naïve. Were these other people duped, or were they generally clueless?

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 10:48 am
Just generally clueless. There is a card game popular among urban blacks in the United States, derived from Whist, and know colloquially as Bid Whizz. I and some friends were playing Bid Whizz in a barracks room once, in which about five or six others were sitting around on the bunks, smoking reefer as though there were no tomorrow. The room was hazy with smoke. Suddenly the door burst open, and a guy was standing there in a purple shirt, with a chartruse, cardigan style cashmere sweater, brown check slacks, and ox-blood penny loafers. His outfit screamed "narc," and there was a brief pause of the sort which brings home to one the expression "pregnant pause." Then everyone in the room burst out laughing. The CID boy (of this, we had no doubt), let out a little involuntary yelp, and fled precipitately. We cleaned up the room, and opened the windows. Sure enough, the First Sergeant showed up with this character about ten minutes later, to introduce our new "barracks mate." He lasted about four days. Even the CID apparently buys a vowell now and again.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 11:03 am
While much later than the 60s, sorry folks, I'm not that old, in high school, we had a series of narcs come into the school posing as students. This was the 80s, and if anyone remembers 21 Jump Street, with Johnny Depp and Richard Grieco, who all looked well over 20, those were are narcs, and I swear, they wore seconds from the set of that show. I remember one dude who suddenly appeared in our math class, dressed something like Judd Nelson in The Breakfast Club, but with shorter hair. First mistake: Actually answering all the questions the teacher asked. Rolling Eyes One day we cornered him and asked, "Hey, are you a narc?" Never saw him again. Laughing
0 Replies