What made this rock formation/ what type of rock is it

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 07:37 am
http://imgur.com/WwmsxZB

This is somewhere is Burnet, TX on the Eastern part on the Llano Uplift.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,619 • Replies: 7
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 08:28 am
@Marktheshark902,
http://geology.uprm.edu/Morelock/thcgeol.htm and these are kids from the U of Puerto Rico who put this together. You should pay attention in class.
Marktheshark902

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 10:54 am
@farmerman,
I'm more curious about the formation of that specific rock in the picture, how was a split in half like that?
farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 04:44 pm
@Marktheshark902,
you can see that the rocks (Most likely the Paleozoic sandstones that underlie the cretaceous ) are

1Not in place (theyve been moved by a force other than nature.

2Theyve been broken along bedding planes and then busted up, most likely by human efforts.

3. Theres no signs of any wind or water erosion along the breakage . I see no clevage , just a"Hackly" texture

What are the surroundings? Is there a quarry nearby?
Marktheshark902

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:09 am
@farmerman,
There is one about 15 minutes away from that location, this is on a ranch that is open for hikers and bikers so it's very hilly
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2016 12:09 pm
@Marktheshark902,
It actually looks like mine dump stuff. What kind of quarry? Is it for dimensional stone? Thats what some of thee chunks look like.
Marktheshark902

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2016 07:11 pm
@farmerman,
I wish I could tell you, it's called Hanson Aggregates. I'm no geologist, this research is just for a project in geography. Those chunks are what I am wondering about, they look so odd and I want to know how they got there or formed if it were natural.
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2016 08:07 pm
@Marktheshark902,
I dont believe they are nturl with that shape. The flat sides are natural (these are called "bedding planes" and account for the deposition of one unit layer of sand that may have been carried by one storm vent. Usually, if you look at these layers as you would rings on a tree, they tell a story of how they were laid down (Originally, they were lyed down as a higher energy water mix , like a river or a flood plain during a big storm). We can see that different layers had occured and the statistical variance of each layers sandy components will hve a different (albeit slight) mean and median sizes (We use terms like "nominal diameters and roundness coefficients).
You are looking at the narrow prt of the stone slab as a representation of the makeup of the layer (or many smaller layers) and the flat part is the bedding plane on which the rock actually broke.
The " Hnson aggregates" term says a lot. It usually means that the quarry produces rock in various sized particles (usually it has the everyday name of "gravel" or dimension rock or crushed stone).
Most of the story is found on the bedding surface, and the energy level is told from the makeup of the size and shape of the prticles of sand or gravels. Sometimes we find gravels made up of rocks that are 10 cm or more in diameter (These gravel rocks we call "pebbles" ). If you can, take some pictures of the rock slab bedding plane and lqy a coin or a cell phone in the close-up (this provides a scale by which to compare sizes of things in the shot).
Hanson is one of the US's bigger quarry operators and dimension stone producers

0 Replies