Thok

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:08 pm
is this a regular refresh image?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:12 pm
Thok wrote:
is this a regular refresh image?

Rather impossible - or do you believe that it's night at the same time all over the world? :wink:
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:20 pm
well, of course not. I meant, if the image would be refresh the lights because of the city migration :-)
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:55 pm
earth at night explanation
Credit: C. Mayhew & R. Simmon (NASA/GSFC), NOAA/ NGDC, DMSP Digital Archive

Explanation: This is what the Earth looks like at night.

Can you find your favorite country or city? Surprisingly, city lights make this task quite possible. Human-made lights highlight particularly developed or populated areas of the Earth's surface, including the seaboards of Europe, the eastern United States, and Japan. Many large cities are located near rivers or oceans so that they can exchange goods cheaply by boat. Particularly dark areas include the central parts of South America, Africa, Asia, and Australia. The above image is actually a composite of hundreds of pictures made by the orbiting DMSP satellites.

(Editor's note: This image has become an email-attachment phenomenon! It has also generated many print requests. Unfortunately, we do not sell prints. However, a high-resolution digital version of the image is available (click here or here).
0 Replies

Abra

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 02:01 am
very very interesting......
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 02:07 am
welcome to a2k
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 02:39 am
Abra
Abra, welcome to A2K; glad to have you here.

Can you find your location on the world map?

BBB
0 Replies

Abra

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 02:45 am
thank you so much guys, that really made my day, er night a little brighter.
I see I already broke a rule and accidently put a link in my signature and it was removed (sorry moderators, wont happen again) I am a bit lost, and also sorry I didnt post more...
Anyway yes, sadley, I can find my location, right smack in the capitol of nebraska.

Do you guys think we have a serious over poplation problem? I remember seeing a movie about this a while ago, it said because in space now they can see lights during night, it is a sure sign the earth is overpopulated, and nature will take care of some of this, like it does for all other over populated animal populations. I also saw on the mayan calender (or aztec? ah, mind is foggy, not supposed to be up this late, gliders are keeping me from sleeping, lol) well, the calender ends year 2012 so i am thinking naturally, something will happen to rid itself of some of the human over population...we had a whole debate about this in class, LOL.

So I know that was a little bit off topic, but what do you all think? Does it make sense or no?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 03:04 am
This is not off topic. :-)

Abra wrote:

Do you guys think we have a serious over poplation problem?

Yes, few place on the earth for us, humans. (about 29 percent land) slums in cities, too many migrant to metropolis etc.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 11:48 am
Abra
Abra, you said something fascinating, "gliders are keeping me from sleeping."

I'm a big fan of glider pilots and soaring. What did you mean by your comment?

BBB
0 Replies

Abra

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 01:17 am
Re: Abra
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Abra, you said something fascinating, "gliders are keeping me from sleeping."

I'm a big fan of glider pilots and soaring. What did you mean by your comment?

BBB

hehe, Im sorry, no no not those kinds of gliders....I should have elaborated, I guess I am used to the glider boards where i can shorten it and say "Glider" instead of "sugar Glider"
Im a "Sugar Glider" breeder...these are the Gliders I am talking about:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v363/feathernfur/Zz%20misc%20pictures%20to%20link%20from/amypreciousbabies.jpg

sorry bout that Embarrassed
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 01:55 am
Petaurus breviceps,nice animals. They are a part of the categorie possum.
0 Replies