Mini-stories...write the perfect last line.

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:59 am
Okay, here's the deal. It's a chain. You finish the one- or two-paragraph mini-story above you. Once you finish it, you can either write your own mini-story, or if you're feeling lazy, don't. Anyone can jump in and start a new one. You're story should be completely unrelated to the one above it. Or not. Whatever you feel like.

Here's the inaugural mini-story. Finish it with the perfect last line, if you dare. He he he...

The three shame-faced boys walked in just as Grandpa Bart had finally adjusted himself into his favorite half-sitting, half-laying down position on the couch, a black and white John Wayne movie on the television easing him gently into his afternoon nap. Grandma urged the young boys from behind with her broom. "I'll give yer kids sump'n fer what ails yer, I'll be hanged if I don't! Now go'on 'n' tell yer grampy what yer been up to in the coops! Go'on, now, Timmy," she smacked the tallest boy's hindquarters with her broom as a motivational tool, "tell yer gran'pap what yer got to tell 'im, so's yer c'n git what's comin' t'yer."

Grandpa Bart got up to a sitting position (with more than a little effort), put his spectacles on, and took a look at the boys. They were covered in broken egg shells and yolk, along with a generous amount of mud splatterings, and they were all completely naked.

Grandpa's mouth fell open as if on a hinge as Timmy said...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,489 • Replies: 39
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 05:09 am
"We didn't win the dirt- and egg-throwing contest at the County Fair, but we did what ya' said and kept our clothes clean."

Next story -

Marlene and Doug were sitting outside in the moonlight watching the shooting stars and occasionally necking. Ron, Marlene's husband, walked in on them just as Doug was reaching into his pocket for a condom.

Ron's shotgun was trained on Doug. Doug knew he'd have to say something really good, something to somehow save himself, so he said ...
0 Replies

markr

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 10:55 pm
"My boyfriend gave me this last night. Do you think he's trying to tell me something?"

Next story:

Mark was sitting at his computer, staring at the screen with writer's block. He had just submitted what he thought was a halfway decent ending to a story about a love triangle that was about to become dangerous.

For the life of him, he couldn't come up with the beginning of a new story. So, he hopped into his time machine and transported himself a few days into the future. He logged into able2know.com, went to the "Mini-stories" topic and saw that another member had posted this reply...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 05:00 pm
"Get back in your time machine and come back next week. This could take a while."

Next story:

Kicky started crossing the busy intersection of 43rd and Fifth. A burly police officer put his hand up in Kicky's face, to let him know that even though the sign said "walk", the black limousine carrying the President to the Republican convention had the right of way at the moment.

As it drove past, Kicky couldn't resist trying to get a look. He leaned over, within inches of the thick, bullet-proof tinted windows as the car went by slowly. The window suddenly slid down, and as they went by, George Bush looked out at Kicky and said...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 05:14 pm
...."ah, my dear friend Karl Rove! Take off the kickycan outfit and get in the car. Did you manage to trick any of the people on A2K into voting for me, Karl?"

The small dog sniffed the ground around the body. Loising interest, he raced off in search of a butterfly to chase. The body continued to decompose.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 09:36 pm
Next to the decomposing body were two flies, perched on the fresh dog turd that Sparky had dropped on his way. One burps. The other one says, "Hey, do ya mind!? I'm trying to eat!"

Monkeys began falling out of the sky at 2:44 PM, on the sunny summer afternoon of July 12th.

Marlene and Jed had been playing in the pool, and as Jed lunged for his little sister's head again, intending to dunk her for the third time, he noticed the sky had gotten darker all of a sudden. And that's when he heard the vicious war cry of the Baboons From Planet Zero; and a moment later, they were falling from the skies like rain.

Jed did the only thing he could in such a dire situation...
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:15 pm
He ripped off his sisters head, and dropped his human guise, for the war had finally reached earth.

As Doug stepped into the dive that he had come to known as a second home he realized that something wasn't right. He felt disconcerted but just could not put his finger on it. He went through a couple of beers and saw to his disbelief that...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 02:55 pm
Oh man, that was a GREAT last line, sublime! Love it!
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 03:09 pm
Thanks kicky, good idea for a thread. New to A2K and was wondering what the reaction to that would be.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 03:11 pm
I thought that was an excellent line too, but didn't say anything because I thought I would disrupt the flow of the thread, but now that kickycan, who owns the thread, has offered his compliments, I shall offer mine too.

Great last line, sublime!
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 08:53 pm
Thanks again, it's good to know a sick mind is appreciated.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 09:48 pm
You're among your own kind, sublime.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 11:31 pm
I'm stumped on this one (or maybe I'm just reticent about finishing it since that last ending was so great), but since we're on a new page now, I thought I'd get it over here to think about, at least.

sublime1 wrote:
As Doug stepped into the dive that he had come to known as a second home he realized that something wasn't right. He felt disconcerted but just could not put his finger on it. He went through a couple of beers and saw to his disbelief that...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 09:52 pm
...he had gotten so drunk that he had accidentally wandered into the phlebotomy wing of the hospital and was drinking urine samples again.

Jocko the Bull stood waiting for the bell. He was four-hundred pounds of flab and hair, and he always played the villain in these professional wrestling matches. He looked across the ring at his opponent, The Howler. His hair stood on end as he thought about what he was about to do. The bell rang, and the Howler stood facing him. Jocko walked towards the center of the ring, and to the surprise of everyone in the building...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 09:57 pm
he ripped off the Howler's head and dropped his human guise, for the war... oh, nevermind.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:59 pm
... Jocko walked towards the center of the ring, and to the surprise of everyone in the building...

he was wearing tights and a dainty pink tutu made of frothy tulle. His secret was out, and he felt better, not embarrassed, even as the heckling got louder.

<sorry couldn't do it in just one line>

Mildred walked away from the auto accident, and tried to flag down a passing car, a truck, anything. She was lucky; she only had a few scratches but there was the matter of a persistent ringing in her left ear that was getting louder. While dozens of vehicles rubbernecked - after all, a Toyota in flames isn't a sight you see every day - she frustratedly sighed. How the heck was she going to get help, here along the Atlantic City Expressway, smack dab in the middle of the stinkin' Meadowlands?

Her luck changed when she pulled her skirt up high, exposing a tantalizing foot or so of her thigh. A somewhat familiar-looking stranger stopped and rolled down the window of his 70s vintage El Dorado. If it weren't for that damned ringing in her ears, she'd've heard him say ...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 03:09 pm
..."Thank hevean for that giant bony foot. Otherwise, youda been kilt."

Millicent walked into the hotel lobby, all gussied up for her debutante ball. Still, she carried with her a heavy heart. She was promised to Brad, but was in love with a frog prince. Well, a frog actually, not a Frenchman, or a prince. How could she possibly explain this odd fetish to the parents on this special night? She took a deep breath and just decided to speak. She said....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 04:24 pm
"He may reek of sardines, but it's love, I tell ya, it's love! So damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead, I'm in love with an amphibian!"
----------

Celeste and Gina were out on the town, checking out the local talent and trying to decide whether to go home with the Spontini brothers for one last roll in the hay. There was just one thing preventing that, and it was ...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 04:34 pm
...the fact that the Spontini's were not brothers at all! They were sisters, yes, lapsed nuns!!

Celeste and Gina were horrified, but decided to discuss things before running away...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 01:53 pm
and were thus ignominiously crushed beneath Godzilla's heel.

The giant lizard paused to scrape the nauseating mess from his foot but foolishly decided to use the rails from the electric commuter railway. Sparks flew, 'Zilla jumped, and...
0 Replies