New Jersey stunned by gay sex tales

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 01:43 pm
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Governor James McGreevey is gay, but reputed lover Golan Cipel denies his homosexuality; the governor's biggest backer is guilty of hiring a hooker, and another man says he's had sex with Cipel.

Blackmail, prostitution, corruption, people being shipped off for psychiatric evaluations, even by New Jersey standards, it's been a weird week for politics.

Last week, New Jersey Governor McGreevey stunned viewers with a televised speech in which the father of two, his wife at his side, said, "I am a gay American." He admitted to having a homosexual affair and said he would step down from the Garden State's most powerful job in November.

"It hardly carried the seriousness of John F. Kennedy's assassination or the significance of the moon landing," The Montclair Times wrote. Still, the Northern New Jersey newspaper said McGreevey's announcement, "could turn out to be that sort of 'Where were you when' event based on its shock value."

Syracuse University pop culture professor Robert Thompson said that until recently Americans would have been shocked that the governor was gay, but media coverage has suggested a less homophobic nation. "The fact that McGreevey had an affair with a guy isn't nearly as big a deal as it would have been in the past," he said.

Since then, the tale has grown stranger, even in a state known for its political intrigue and as the setting for television's mob hit "The Sopranos."

McGreevey's dalliance was said to be with Cipel -- a man who briefly served under him as the state's top homeland security official. Sources close to the governor said Cipel was trying to extort millions of dollars to keep the affair quiet.

Cipel, a former sailor and poet and an Israeli national, lacked any obvious qualifications for that job and was unable to attend security briefings since he was not a U.S. citizen. Cipel was quick to rebut the governor.

SMEARED AND HARASSED?

Cipel's lawyer accused the governor of a smear campaign, said McGreevey's aides had offered to pay Cipel for his silence and insisted his client had been sexually harassed. Then Cipel, who fled to Israel, told reporters he wasn't gay.

"This is definitely the best soap opera of the year," said Village Voice writer Michael Musto, who has been covering for the weekly tabloid the sauciest scandal in these parts since former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani announced he was leaving his wife because he had a "special friend."

"Like any good political gossip story, it keeps growing in surprising ways, which makes for the best stories," Musto added. He said that, in his view, the McGreevey debacle was also classic tabloid fodder because "everybody is lying."

The incompatible stories of the disgraced governor and the former Israeli seaman were summed up by the tabloid New York Daily News under the front page headline "He said: He said."

By Wednesday, a corruption probe that had dogged McGreevey before his confession made headlines. His top contributor, Charles Kushner, pleaded guilty to charges of interfering with a witness, his brother-in-law.

Kushner faces prison time for encouraging his brother-in-law to sleep with a prostitute and then giving the tape to the man's wife, Kushner's sister, to tamper with a federal corruption probe.

As if all that wasn't enough, a New Jersey physician, Michael Miller, then appeared on local television wearing only shorts to claim he had had a homosexual relationship with Cipel. The exiled former state employee denied the claim.

By Friday, a judge in Newark, New Jersey ordered a psychiatric evaluation for Miller, who was arrested late on Thursday on charges of pretending to be a law enforcement officer and for telling people he was a CIA operative.

While the drama continues, powerful New Jersey Democrats are working to convince McGreevey to step down before September 3 so an election can be held in November for the remainder of his term. U.S. Sen. Jon Corzine is the man they want to take over.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,342 • Replies: 37
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:31 pm
Wow. I'm at a loss for words.

The amazing thing is that he's standing down for something that has nothing to do with politics at all. If all politicians had to step down because of lies, about six would remain. So, he's gay and he has a wife? Or he just went off with a man?

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:46 pm
i know once again i say its a messed up world
isnt peoples sexuality a personal thing?
and also i dont know if hes married or not there lots of post on him and this in other sections if your interested im sure if you search with his name as a keyword youll bring up lots of info i was reading some post the other day about this here on a2k
it just seemed something controversial to post here this time of night
i was musing putting it in the politics thread but i decided to stay away from there as i just attract hassle from all the super opinionated people that dwell there

ps drom i just read an article that says the lib dems are thinking of forming a coalition with the tories...now thats true horror.
i mention this cos i remember you said u were into the lib dems...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:00 pm
Quelle horreur! Lib Dems and Tories?! They're diametrically opposed! Whoa! They're completely different! Neutral! It'll end up with the Lib Dems being torified! I doubt that they'll coalate though. It would be cool, if the Tories were liberal. But they're not. If they do, I hope that they keep their own opinions-- but how can they when they'd be outnumbered by Tories?! Brave new world indeed...

And I'll go find out something about that guy.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:02 pm
He Is married with children. That was dishonourable, but it has nothing to do with the public.

Trenton, N.J. -- New Jersey Gov. James McGreevey resigned Thursday, announcing that he had an affair with a man and that this had left him vulnerable to "false allegations and threats of disclosure."

"My truth is that I am a gay American," McGreevey, a married father of two, said at a news conference at the Statehouse here. "This, the 47th year of my life, is arguably too late to have this discussion. But ... at a point in every person's life, one has to look deeply into the mirror of one's soul."

McGreevey's voice hitched several times but he retained his composure. He said that his affair had brought great pain to his wife, Dina Matos McGreevey, who stood by his side as he spoke. "I engaged in an adult consensual affair with another man," he said. "It was foolish ... and for this, I ask forgiveness."

Full article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/08/13/MNGVK87HAE1.DTL

0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:04 pm
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
If all politicians had to step down because of lies, about six would remain!

Six? Isn't that a bit much :wink:
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:09 pm
Very Happy!

No... there's Zapatero... and.... Zapatero... and that guy in Guinnea-Bissau.

*Rick looks the other way*

(Speedily:) Ok bye

*Runs away*

0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:10 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:10 pm
no its worse drom
the so called lib dems have gone the tory way and adopted right wing agenda Shocked

its at yahoo uk news if you want to go have a look

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040821/344/f0v6v.html

as for McGreevey all i can say is quelle horreur to that too....
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:14 pm
Very Happy

As for that--- Don't worry. Labour have been trying to get back people who are new Lib Dems, by saying that they're changing. Labour, if anyone, is the same as the Tories... the Libs are still very liberal. So, I'm thinking that this is anti-liberal propoganda, which was never needed before because the Libs never were a threat.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:27 pm
ok cool Very Happy my minds now at ease again...
i had the horrific vision once the libs turned to the right then that would be it..
hordes of black clothed jack booted people marching thru london singing 'england uber alles'...
this is ok to say as a joke isnt it?
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:33 pm
Never fear! We shall simply have to put our Jedi mind powers to good use to defeat the terrible Storm Troopers (sorry, my insomnia is getting the better of me)
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:36 pm
Very Happy yeah fortune my dear what are you doing up so late your like me some nights i dont go to bed at all
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:38 pm
Night? It's now half past 7 in the morning! What night? You mean that dark thing that happened a while ago? I never bother with that silly thing.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:40 pm
Wow, I'm talking to a person who's already experiencing Sunday August 22th. Nice Cool (In half an hour I will be joining you though).
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:44 pm
hah nice one fortune Wink

yeah rick man she lives in our future
isnt that groovy... shes future girl...
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:44 pm
Sunday's looking pretty good right now. Dawn happened on schedule, everything lit up the way it should. I'll keep you posted on it's progress, though. You never know when these Sunday's could turn on you. Dangerous critters, they are.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:46 pm
Exactly! Why you think God made it a resting day for Christians? He knows (wo)man, HE KNOWS! (Could have been Col Man saying this Laughing )
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:48 pm
you must be reading my mind...
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:48 pm
Cool No comment
0 Replies