Honest cabbie wins Philippine presidential citation

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 01:03 am
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afpji/20040820/040820120419.auhn15jl0b.jpg
Filipino taxi driver Nestor Sulpico shows his honesty recognition plaque given by the Department of Tourism in Manila.

MANILA (AFP) - A New York taxi driver who returned 70,000 dollars' worth of jewellery left by a passenger in his cab won a citation and a modest cash award from Philippines President Gloria Arroyo.

"Thank you for making us proud," Arroyo told Philippines-born Nestor Sulpico, 46 as she handed him a presidential citation and a cash reward of 100,000 pesos (1,795 dollars), a presidential palace statement said.

He became an instant celebrity both here and in the United States when he returned assorted black pearls left in a backpack in his cab by an unidentified passenger in July.

The presidential citation read: "You have demonstrated to the world the Filipino virtue of honesty, for doing the right and honorable thing. You have made your family, country proud."

Sulpico, a native of the central island of Panay, had migrated to the United States to earn more money as a taxi driver in New York.

The government paid for his brief visit here after learning of his honest deed in the press.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,691 • Replies: 42
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 04:52 am
I'm glad to see something like this. If only more people did what he did!

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 05:49 am
yes if only...
i was shocked too.. Shocked an honest person in new york Shocked .. what is the world coming to... Wink
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 05:53 am
Joe Nation is honest. I have family in NY, and they're honest too. Plenty of people are. George Bush might be a liar and thieves might be all around the place, but they're not the running order and there are plenty of wonderful New Yorkers. Most people are greedy and dishonest everywhere... but that shouldn't reflect on the good.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 05:55 am
ok thats good to hear Smile
so you do have some family you get on with and who are good people, you painted such a dark picture of them before Smile...
im happy to hear that too Very Happy
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:03 am
The only relatives who like me are ones who aren't in my immediare family.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:11 am
oh Sad ok..oh well Confused theres always hope that the rest will turn into nice people at some point...you never know Smile
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:12 am
Bad habits die hard.... they're all too far to go back. They're happy being greedy and violent.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:16 am
Crying or Very sad now your making me sad Crying or Very sad
i want to hear more happy news from you Very Happy
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:20 am
It's true what they say, there's one in every bunch. Unfortunately, some of us get stuck with more than one. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:22 am
OK, then-- it's not too hot here in Lodz and it's quite an interesting town Very Happy.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:22 am
Shocked to fortunes post
and to you drom ive never heard of lodz like i heard of gdansk
do you mean its not too hot groovy wise or temperature wise?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:25 am
oh Smile its ok im not reading right you mean temperature wise Smile
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:27 am
Yeah. I can't support the heat, as you know, so it's nice to be able to go around without fainting or feeling the need to puke my guts out.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:29 am
Col Man, I hope you didn't think i was referring to you!
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:39 am
yeah drom i know thats where you and me diifer
i love the heat and cant get enough of it..when i free myself in the next year or so from this wheel im simply going to chase the sun/heat around the planet Smile

and fortune, no i didnt think that my dear.. i know what you meant.you speak true.thats what shocking Wink i have that within me... the truth is we all do.... its wether we choose to be it thats what matters Wink
like big d here says in a nearby post we are all individual and i say too we are all very similar and its our choice to be good or bad....
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:51 am
Big D Very HappyVery Happy

I love nothing more than a clean beach, when it's raining. That's my joy; it's so quiet and the rain builds up such an atmosphere. If I were going to Greece, I'd go in November or January...

Well, it's partly our own (present) choice, and partly the effect of choices in the past.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:57 am
Wink i thought of that one all myself Very Happy
your big d to me dear Wink

and hmm i just cant concurr<? with your other point of view..for me the suns everything..its the giver of life...i just cant live without it Smile plus ive just been rained on all summer here, the last thing i need is more rain......
each to their own sis...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 07:06 am
Nice name, I like it Very Happy. It sounds as though you and I were going into some unusual underground organization.

That's exactly what I think. Thank Nader that the majority of people love the sun! It means that I travel cheap in winter, and get beaches all quiet with no one there when it's raining.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 07:21 am
haha yeah right i didnt think of it like that maybe is my darkpast coming out or memories of a past life Wink

and hey that makes good sense
i remember the story of some famous spiritual dude (funnily enough i believe it was in armenia where the story was)...who when he was a child his grandma was dying and he went to her house with his mum and family and as they were stood around paying their final respects...
his grandma suddenly grabbed him and staring intensely into his eyes said 'look you, little one, listen to me!! in this life dont do as others do' and when he looked at her a bit confused (he was only 5 or so) she said again 'look either go to school and be an idiot like the rest or just do something different with your life..live child live!!..'
and with that she passed away...
this had such a profound effect on him it changed him forever...afterwards i remember he went crazy and cried and freaked out and ran away hid in the coal shed for hours until his mum was sick with worry...and until the energy had returned to normal within his head...
hmm stories....
0 Replies