"Disappointed" rescuers save man and son -- twice

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 01:01 am
LONDON (Reuters) - Rescuers had an uncomfortable sense of deja vu when they saved a man and his eight-year-old son after they drifted out to sea in an inflatable dinghy.

Just 24 hours earlier the same hapless duo were plucked to safety off a Somerset beach after getting stuck in treacherous mud flats while struggling with a punctured dinghy.

On Friday the would-be sailors were back at it again.

"Very disappointing," was how coastguard Steve Bird characterised the back-to-back life saving rescues.

"Yesterday we had 50 people involved in the rescue ... but, nothing seems to have been learned", he told the BBC on Friday.

Coastguards had warned the 30-year-old man of the dangers of the mud after his first rescue on Thursday. On Friday, they were incredulous.

"We are somewhat surprised that having lost one dinghy in a very dangerous situation, he then acquired another," Swansea Coastguard Watch Manager Helen Hutson said in a statement.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,303 • Replies: 373
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 04:51 am
Fools die fools, I guess. People's own self-importance and feeling themselves 'experts' means that a lot of emergency services' time is wasted.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 05:46 am
hahaha fools die fools Very Happy i dont know what the word is for that but thats funny and sadly true one of my mate used to be a mountain climber and he said a lot of people he saw 'climbing' made him shake his head, he said 'they are just asking to become statistics' at the time i thought this was hilarious.....
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 05:58 am
Very Happy Poignant humour, I guess... it's true though. I guess this fearlessness is all about Ego, but it can do no good.

0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 01:45 pm
It's stupid that a man does something like this, but with his EIGHT-YEAR-OLD SON? That's very irresponsible!
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 01:46 pm
yeah and he did it twice as well just to prove it....
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 01:47 pm
ps i like your ongoing argument in the other thread i noticed he was in an arguementative mood yesterday..he was trying to bait me but i wouldnt go for it and then you took up the banner for the dutch..
so nice one Wink
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 01:49 pm
I know, it should be about peace and love :wink: , but sometimes, I just get these weird nationalistic feelings I can't resist (nationalistic feelings in a positive way of course, so no racism, discrimination etc.). I think I need some counseling :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 01:51 pm
This is all very sad. Could there be a language problem, or that they are out there to get food (I have no idea if there are any fish around there..) or what. It seems so purposefully stupid.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 01:56 pm
its ok i understand it happens to most people
as long as its in good humour its ok
just remember that all this is in our heads that is these nations are made up entities..they havent been there forever...
the only way you will break out of such patterns and get away from such feeling is to spend a lot of time in another country or preferably many other countries then youll see the higher pattern
you may consider yourself to be dutch but more importantly you are a human being like the rest of us on the planet...
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:00 pm
I know Col Man. This is (mostly) humour of course. You have a point with
Col Man wrote:
just remember that all this is in our heads that is these nations are made up entities..they havent been there forever...

I could have been born some miles to the south, which would mean I was a Belgian. You have to see it in perspective.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:00 pm
sadly osso i think this is just a case of extreme stupidity....
no there are no fish english waters are so polluted nothing lives in them....
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:02 pm
rick im glad you appreciate that Wink
theres great hope for your future Smile
youll go a long way my friend if you want Very Happy
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:02 pm
You make me blush Embarrassed
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:22 pm
I've been trying to find out whether they were immigrants, Osso, but I doubt it; that area of South Wales, and nearly all of Wales itself, is nearly all-Welsh.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:23 pm
I've been trying to find out whether they were immigrants, Osso, but I doubt it; that area of South Wales, and nearly all of Wales itself, is nearly all-Welsh.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:41 pm
huh what happen?
why did a post here disappear?
(it wasnt mine btw phew)
was it so bad?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:08 pm
Maybe Osso deleted it? I didn't see a post here..

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:10 pm
Col Man, Ossobuco asked if there were any language problems (ie those of immigrants)
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:16 pm
And I replied that I'd see whether there were, but that most of Wales is Welsh, especially down by the Rhondda Valley... apparently Oss said something else after that.

0 Replies