Wild boars stop Berlin traffic

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 12:56 am
BERLIN (Reuters) - Alarmed motorists in Berlin called police after a 28-strong pack of wild boar took to a quiet street in search of food.

Bystanders described how the animals crossed the road in single file grunting hungrily as they searched for a breakfast snack early on Thursday morning.

"The animals had only come from the nearby forest on the hunt for something to eat," a police spokesman said. "They had run out of food so they headed in the direction of people."

Police vehicles closed off the surrounding area and guided the animals back to the woods.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,012 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Jim

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 04:23 am
Thanks for the posting.

My wife and I have had two somewhat similar episodes. Our vacation and future retirement home is in a rural area in Arizona. We have a lot of wildlife, including javelinas. These are wild pigs at about 60 pounds apiece.

One afternoon we were walking back home from the Post Office (about three kilometers). About 100 meters up ahead we saw several animals cross the road (neither of our eyesights are what they used to be). At first we thought they were dogs. As we got closer we realized they were javelinas. Five or six had crossed the road, and were chowing down on the pet food left out in the backyard of the house we were walking past. We stopped to watch for a few minutes. I'm told that javelinas are famous for their bad eyesight, and if you're quiet they'll never know you're there. After watching them for a minute or so, I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye, and turned and looked. Not ten feet away a few more were crossing the road to join their friends. We both let out a surprized yell, and they ran off, but came back again a few minutes later.

One evening during our last holiday we mistakenly left the garage door open. Our dog started acting funny, so we went to the garage to look, and there were five or six javelinas in the garage. They had knocked over what had been a 50 pound sack of dry dog food and were having a feast.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 05:10 am
Thanks for the postings.

Wild boars in Berlin are quite common in Berlin, btw, and in some suburbian areas there a great problem since years.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 05:41 am
thanks guys Very Happy and cheers for the stories too Smile
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 10:48 am
Here's a "snoutshot" of a javeline:http://www.doublekranch.com/pics/gallery/tucson-bb-inn-09.jpg
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 11:42 am
I understand that Sydney-siders are having a similar problem with kangaroos at the moment. I don't know if it's the drought or urban expansion but Roos are popping up in the city more and more frequently these days. That may seem cute to the tourists but it gets to be a problem when they attack and kill pet dogs.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 01:01 pm
nice one jim Smile thats one mean looking hog... Shocked no wonder u was scared of em Shocked are they really that dangerous?

and yes fotune i heard it too i think i posted a story on it a while back a 'roo' attacked some woman and left her pretty shook up....
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 01:34 pm
Nice picture jim. Nice story BTW Col Man Smile I don't recall having problems with (real) wildlife. We just don't have real wildlife back here. Some birds, an occational fox or deer, rabbits. No boars.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 01:42 pm
What for a picture, Jim. haha

we have here no wildlife, pure city ! Smile
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 01:43 pm
Where in Vienna do you live Thok? I have some family in Vienna ...
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:01 pm
around of the center of Vienna :-)

Where live your relatives?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:02 pm
I don't know the precise location, it's near the Siemeringer Hauptstrasse, I think it's Eastern Vienna, don't know that for sure though. Been there only once.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:09 pm
If so, then there are two possibilties where they live. But, however.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:24 pm
Two possibilities as in: this is a very long street you are talking about, or: my spidersense tells me there are two locations :wink: (used to be a big Spiderman fan some years ago).
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:29 pm
Yes, the long street ... and a district.

Rick d'Israeli wrote:
(used to be a big Spiderman fan some years ago).

watched the new film? :-)
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:58 pm
Ehm actually I didn't watch the movie, am planning too though. Must be great!
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:00 pm
Good stuff, a little more angsty than the first but it takes less time to introduce all the characters. Nice satisfying conclusion. I loved it.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:01 pm
< Mumbles > Gotta see that movie, gotta see that movie, gotta see that movie
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:18 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
< Mumbles > Gotta see that movie, gotta see that movie, gotta see that movie

Pathé Eindhoven

za 21-8-2004 21:45
zo 22-8-2004 21:45
di 24-8-2004 21:45
wo 25-8-2004 21:45
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:19 pm
Mr. Green Good one Walter! But I'm leaving tomorrow for Nijmegen (introduction university), and I will be back only September 1th. Confused
0 Replies