Flying Micro-Robot

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 10:58 am
Just thought this was pretty neat:

http://deviceforge.com/files/misc/epson-ufr.jpg

I wonder how long it'll be before we have these things flying around with cameras on them?

And if you could make it solar powered, I wonder how far/long it could fly?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,991 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Thok

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:05 am
Re: Flying Micro-Robot
Thanks indeed for this post.

rosborne979 wrote:

I wonder how long it'll be before we have these things flying around with cameras on them?

Big Brother would be watched you. ;-)

rosborne979 wrote:
And if you could make it solar powered, I wonder how far/long it could fly?

I suppose, at this development, 500m to 1 km .
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:33 am
Here's another small flying machine, except this one's natural. This one weighs less, is highly maneuverable, smarter than the mechanical one, and is self re-fueling.

http://www.darwin2k.com/chris/climbing/whitney_22aug2002/proc/ldragonfly.jpg

The only benefit the mechanical flyer has is that we can control it remotely. Which makes me wonder if it's more cost effective to try to build mechanical flyers, or to try to remotely control the brain of a dragonfly.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 03:28 pm
RoboFly

http://www.californiasolarcenter.org/images/pvfotos/robofly.jpg

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20020610/gallery/robofly_goto.jpg
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:54 pm
Very cool. I wish I had one.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 01:34 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Very cool. I wish I had one.

not only you Smile
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 08:02 pm
rosborne,

mind control isn't the only way. there has been a fair bit of research into controlling insects directly through the spinal cord or by stimulation of other kinds

http://www.wireheading.com/roboroach/
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 08:07 pm
rosborne,

mind control isn't the only way. there has been a fair bit of research into controlling insects directly through the spinal cord or by stimulation of other kinds

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:42 am
stuh505 wrote:
rosborne,

Yeh, this is more what I meant. Rudimentary control of neural functions, not necessarily the "mind" in the larger sense (since I'm not sure insects even have a "mind", depending on how you define it).
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:32 am
It's a very cool idea. I want a remote control mosquito
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:40 am
stuh505 wrote:
It's a very cool idea. I want a remote control mosquito

I was thinking a remote control DragonFly since they can cover more distance quickly and are not blown off course by average winds. Smile

It's interesting that the article mentions that the cockroach becomes less responsive to the remote control over time. Obviously, the external orders don't match with the wishes of the cockroach, and it seems to be learning to override the stimulus and resist it.

It also seems that remote sensing methods like this are inevitible in our future. I wonder how we will deal with a world which in which a camera can be hiding in every crack and corner.
0 Replies

Hamal

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 01:33 pm
I say it is definitely technology to respect, possibly fear. I do see uses for something like this and believe it is inevitable. Like you wonder Rosborne, im not so sure I would like to live in a world with camera around every corner. It almost feels that way now when I think about it.
I can think of many good uses for something like this. It is definitely a tool that could help people as much as destroy lives though.

The brain control idea reminds me of that Manga, Ghost in the Shell. Set in the future, society is enhanced biologically by computers. Mainly implants in the brain. A new life form evolves out of the net of information, and becomes conscious(kinda like Jane in the Ender Game series but more evil). Starts hacking into peoples minds, inserting and deleting memories making them commit crimes- hacking into more people and so on. Sorry for the digression but there is a point ha ha! I guess I see this as a somewhat realistic future possibility. Not necessarily the technology, which maybe.. But what people will do with it! Definitely something to respect, and possibly fear.
0 Replies

Hamal

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 01:49 pm
As long as they don't use a Scutigera I probably would never even notice it.
I couldn't find a way to just paste a pic sorry. Link will have to do if you want to see this nasty.

Scutigera

They invade our apartment and will march right in the front door when you open it. No fear. I respect all life to a degree, and I hate hate hate these things. Let's just say if you had a camera on one of these it would get smashed really fast lol Shocked
0 Replies

Hamal

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 02:21 pm
bah, I posted that without adding.. I cannot think of a better insect to imitate than a Dragonfly. They are simply amazing creatures capable of maneuvers we may never be able to replicate. Definitely something to think about.. Sorry for all the extra posts!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 09:19 pm
Quote:
They are simply amazing creatures capable of maneuvers we may never be able to replicate. Definitely something to think about..

Indeed. I have attempted to mimic copulation for such extended periods of time but found it impossible as a human.
0 Replies

Hamal

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 02:19 pm
Quote:
Indeed. I have attempted to mimic copulation for such extended periods of time but found it impossible as a human.

Laughing

Some life gets all the luck ha ha. At least that would be some very interesting..err um.. research Very Happy I don't now though, some things seem like a blessing and end up being a curse! I could see this go either way heh.

I admit my knowledge of dragonflies is pretty limited. I know that usually you only see the males - the females only show up when they are ready to reproduce. Other than that, just from watching them they have got to be some of the only flying organisms that can fly backwards/hold position as long as they want. Not stating fact, I just can't say I've seen anything other than a hummingbird pull that trick.
Thinking of that made me wonder if modelling tiny fliers after the humming birds would be even better.. but I shot it down pretty quick. I read somewhere that dragonflies do not beat their wings all that fast - which modelling after would probably be easier than trying to match a humming birds beats per minute. I think in one of the articles Rosborne posted it said that was the hardest part of the whole project. So scrap that, still thought it worth mentioning.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 12:38 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Here's another small flying machine, except this one's natural. This one weighs less, is highly maneuverable, smarter than the mechanical one, and is self re-fueling.

The only benefit the mechanical flyer has is that we can control it remotely. Which makes me wonder if it's more cost effective to try to build mechanical flyers, or to try to remotely control the brain of a dragonfly.

nature is a useful historic library of what can be made to work by endlessly modifying a working model by random changes over millions of years; we can learn much here, but we should never confuse that method with 'intelligent design'!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 01:10 pm
Hamal wrote:
http://www.math.umd.edu/~schris/scutigera.shtml
They invade our apartment and will march right in the front door when you open it. No fear. I respect all life to a degree, and I hate hate hate these things. Let's just say if you had a camera on one of these it would get smashed really fast lol Shocked

those are common house centepedes; and your best friend (after the dog, of course)!
They are carnivores of the insect variety which will serve to keep other insects wishing to live in your apartment, under control.
Learn to love them; and looking at them more closely helps, as they are really quite beautiful (especially when in movement)!
0 Replies

Hamal

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 03:35 pm
BoGoWo- you are right on that, that was a very poor attempt at humor. They are very beneficial creatures. Even on that page I linked I think I read it explains they are not after food we would eat and most likely other bugs they can find. They are really fascinating creatures the way they hunt. I have been very surprised by them popping up in the apartment mainly because of their size! They average about 1 1/2 inches long I would guess and move fast. Really have had them blitz the apartment too when I opened the door to leave, just amazing. Guess you have to respect a bug with guts. I am learning not to let them surprise me so much.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 09:14 pm
I know these things are harmless, and they even eat other pests which I don't want in the house....

http://muelos.smugmug.com/photos/605545-S-1.jpg

... but anything that moves as fast as these things do is unnerving. Not only that, but they have bright blue knees, which gives them a disjointed look, and you frequently can't tell which direction they are facing, so when they dart off, it can be in the opposite direction you expect.

At one level I agree, they are beautifil, but I still don't want them running around my bedroom at night.
0 Replies