we want to move to australia!!!!!!

milner

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 04:40 am
hi we live in the uk and are looking in to moving to australia. my line of work is a chef, but have no qualifications, i have 9 or so years of experience. my wife has just found out that she has family over there, so could get a sponsor from them. what we want to know is what is our chances of getting in. we were thinking of taking a 3 month holiday over there and looking for work and get a sponsor from an employer and then at the end of the 3 months stay and start work and then apply of a proper visa. does any one know if this can work or if any one has done it. thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,548 • Replies: 34
No top replies

msolga

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 06:03 am
This should be helpful, milner.

Immigration Department information:

http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/index.htm

Good luck! Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:23 am
Hey milner, I know nothing of Australia, but I am a chef as well, across the pond in Canada. Good luck to you!
0 Replies

melbournian cheese

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:49 am
melbourne or sydney?
MELBOURNE IS DA BOMB!
0 Replies

Abra

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:53 am
melbourne rocks.

yea Im not from Australia either but my fiance is a chef--so good luck toyou my friend! Very Happy
0 Replies

mij lawson

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 07:36 am
This could be your lucky day !!!
my wife and I are currently going through the process to emigrate. I work in IT so we are looking to go in as "Skilled Independent" migrants.
Australia are specifically looking for Chefs at the moment as a trade in high demand. you need to get hold of booklet 6 and form and check out the skills list ( form 1121i ) to check your occupation is on the list. with no qualfications you would need to be assessed by the assessing body for chefs ( TRA ). if you get the go ahead from them, then you can apply as a skilled migrant. Chefs are worth extra points at the moment as in high demand, so go for it !!! hope this helps Very Happy
0 Replies

jiop

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 04:16 pm
Re: Try this resource if you're still thinking of doing it
mij_lawson wrote:

Australia are specifically looking for Chefs at the moment as a trade in high demand. you need to get hold of booklet 6 and form and check out the skills list ( form 1121i ) to check your occupation is on the list. with no qualfications you would need to be assessed by the assessing body for chefs ( TRA ).

We found this http://www.overseas-emigration.co.uk/australiaguide/points.php page useful when we were trying to see if we were eligible, turns out we are!

I'm dreaming of a blistering hot xmas, unlike the ones I used to know....

Next year we'll make it, though we don't have relatives in Aus so you're ahead of the game there
0 Replies

australia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 03:58 am
Chefs are in demand so you should have a good chance, and speaking english is an advantage. I know heaps of English people who have moved to Australia and loved the climate and low cost of living. I wish you best of luck
0 Replies

imapom

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 10:07 pm
It can be done....

We came over here with a couple of backpacks at the age of 31. Had managed to bag some Working Holiday Visas and just started working. At the end of the three months my wife's employer paid for a 457 Visa (sponsored by employer) and we could stay for 4 years.

We've just been nominated for residency by the same employer and had it granted in 3 weeks - not bad. Cost about AU$7000 for a decent immigration consultant, but saved us a lot of arsing around.

Have a go, get over here, look around and be prepared to move on or stay as the feeling takes you. If you're not happy, there's always the airport, but at least you'll know its not for you rather than dreaming about what could've been.
0 Replies

novaz04

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 02:44 am
I can't believe you are already into the sydney or Melbourne flame. Anyways, you are going to have to choose where you want to live. I would think you would want a trendy food liking city, so there are the two options: Sydney or Melbourne. Melbourne, I went there, but I think I caught it at a bad time because I thought it was pretty ugly. But then again, I caught it at a bad time when it was raining and depressing. If you like your current weather (cold, long drizzles of rain and depressing conditions), then move to Melbourne. Although Melbourne has got its good points.

Melbourne was voted the most livable city in the world recently, Sydney came fifth, but believe me, the diffrence in livability between the two is very minimal. It all matters what you want. I prefer Sydney, by far, from what i've seen so far. Sydney has the weather, Harbour, great beaches (Melbourne doesn't have costal beaches, since its not on the coast, only along port phillip bay, which are quiet measaly), and when its sunny in Sydney, on the harbour, it gives you a unique happiness AND it is the best city in the world, on the top 10. Sydney is trendy, although Melbourne is the "food and wine capital", the competition is close.

Melbourne has a very active city at night, while Sydneys nightlife is mainy in the inner city suburbs. Although both cities do have an abundant shopping existance in the city. Melbourne is also the fashion captial.

In my opinion, I think both cities are very livable and fun, and both cities support your carrier.

Sydney's population: 4,000,000 +

Melbournes population: 3,500,000 +
0 Replies

nev2301

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 04:50 am
want to move to australia but have a different situation
I know that you need skills and saveings but if you only work as a qualifying graphic designer and my partner is in customer service for ntl you will find you dont add up on the piont scoreing so is very frustrating. We want to move there to get a better life for our 3 yr old daughter Nicole and are willing to work but are finding it hard to apply for a visa that matches our needs. would be glad to chat with someone with the same problem. Confused
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 05:24 am
And the really good thing about all this is that Australia will finally have someone who can make food that is actually edible.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Good luck to all.

Joe
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 05:51 am
Joe Nation wrote:
And the really good thing about all this is that Australia will finally have someone who can make food that is actually edible.

Joe

Surprised That's a strange thing to say, Joe. There's some terrific food to be had in Oz, largely due to the influence of migrants from a variety of cultures. We're very fortunate, I think. You've had some unpleasant experiences here?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 06:48 am
I'm pretty sure if you don't have qualifications you can't call yourself a 'chef', but you can call yourself a 'cook'.

Certainly there was a distinction in the early 90s.

Yeah Joe, fess up. There are a lot of Aussies who pooh-pooh US cuisine, maybe there's some parochial antogonism to be had!
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 05:08 pm
I thought mc donalds tastes the same in every country.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 01:56 pm
Joe Nation wrote:

Joe

Joe - ppppfffftttthhhh!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 05:57 pm
I'll second that!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Aurora Dark

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 11:38 pm
australia wrote:
I thought mc donalds tastes the same in every country.

It doesn't...

They change the recipe sometimes, to fit the target demographic of that country. Also, sometimes they switch out certain ingredients, and add others, for the same reason Razz

Just some random info >_>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 11:44 pm
And our beef is not full of chemicals and fattened on feed lots.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 11:44 pm
If they PUT beef in those damned things.

I don't believe I have ever actually eaten one....
0 Replies