Humanoid Aliens

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:57 pm
Do you believe there are some humanoid aliens out there?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,999 • Replies: 28
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:02 am
Re: Humanoid Aliens
Gold Barz wrote:

Slightly Humanoid, yes.

Existing somewhere in the Universe, probably.

Visiting us, not a chance.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 05:05 pm
In an infinite universe anything is possible, but I'd imagine we'd meet something entirely unlike ourselves first, like helium based life forms. Is that viable?
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:41 pm
i dont think the universe is literally infinite, but theres a chance that humanoid aliens (really really advanced) might visit and study us because when they see us they would notice we look like them, they would likely visit us more than non-humanoid aliens

helium-based lifeforms.....i dont know
0 Replies

Lordregent52

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 09:49 pm
If we encountered helium-based lifeforms, we might not even recognize them as alive.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:29 pm
Maybe out there somewhere, but even on a planet indistinguishable from the Earth, you probably wouldn't get something that could pass for humans again. There were simply too many forks in the evolutionary road, where minor as well as major circumstances determined the outcome.
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 01:33 am
Gold Barz wrote:

Let me preface this by stating the obvious so as to minimize the unnecessary replies questioning my ability to prove what I am stating. I am not stating a fact, a hypothesis, or a postulate. I am throwing into the fray a simple philosophical discussion as to humanoid type alien life. I would think that in philosophical forums one would not need to preface a message letting people know we are talking philosophically but it seems that maybe that is the case.

Also I'm not here to argue the likelihood of life on other planets. It defies any semblance of logic or reason to think that our planet is the only planet with life on it. My point is that since it is much more likely to assume that life has evolved on other planets that the humanoid form is not that uncommon.

In just our known universe there are wide ranging estimates between 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 and 70,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe so it is not a far stretch to lowball an estimate of 1,000,000,000,000,000 planets in our known universe that are able to support habitable life of the possible 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in our known universe.

So as to hopefully rule out arguments with the numbers above which are very rough approximations lets low ball the estimate even more so instead of a more likely 1 quadrillion planets with habitable life we far under estimate the number to 1 trillion.

With 1 trillion habitable planets circling 1 trillion stars the number of them with a size similar to our planet and an orbit about the same as ours made up originally of very similar molecules and compounds could very easily be over 100,000-500,000 habitable planets very very similar to earth.

So lets low ball again and say that out of 70 Septillion stars in our known universe there are at least 250,000 habitable planets very similar to Earth. Of those 250,000 habitable planets I can see no reason not to assume that the changes in our evolutionary path that brought us to where we are today would not have occurred in at least one third to one half of them. That means that it is my personal OPINION that the least number of alien cultures that are humanoid like us is 80,000 different planets and the more likely number is probably much closer to a million.

The sad thing is that the evolution of our species has 2 outcomes.

A) We bond together as a species, overcome our current prejudices, salvage what's left of our environment and provide for continued evolution on this planet until such time as we venture far off into the stars in every direction so that when the eventual end of our planet happens when our sun goes Nova a long long long time from now our species continues. If that happens then very possibly before the end of our known universe we may just know how many other humanoid species there are.
B) We continue as a species as we are now looking at today and tomorrow but not 50, 500, or 5000 years from now and we deplete our resources and never achieve world peace and our species perishes when our planet no longer exists (or likely much much sooner) and all the greatness we have achieved goes to waste.

That's my cents
Rebate forms available at the main desk
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 05:47 am
nipok wrote:
Gold Barz wrote:
Of those 250,000 habitable planets I can see no reason not to assume that the changes in our evolutionary path that brought us to where we are today would not have occurred in at least one third to one half of them. That means that it is my personal OPINION that the least number of alien cultures that are humanoid like us is 80,000 different planets and the more likely number is probably much closer to a million.

Some individual might see no reason not to assume the sky is green, but without a knowledge of the forces at work, there is no reason why such an assumption should be true.
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 08:10 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
nipok wrote:
Gold Barz wrote:
Of those 250,000 habitable planets I can see no reason not to assume that the changes in our evolutionary path that brought us to where we are today would not have occurred in at least one third to one half of them. That means that it is my personal OPINION that the least number of alien cultures that are humanoid like us is 80,000 different planets and the more likely number is probably much closer to a million.

Some individual might see no reason not to assume the sky is green, but without a knowledge of the forces at work, there is no reason why such an assumption should be true.

That's why it is an Opinion. To not assume there are more planets than stars although unproven and maybe un-provable does not make a more viable assumption then to think otherwise. To not assume that some small percentage of these planets contain habitable life seems in my humble opinion to be a weak assumption. To ball park the number of planets in the entire universe (a universe that supposedly has more stars then there a pieces of sand on our planet) that are similar to our universe in my humble opinion is not all that far fetched to come up with an imaginary number of about 250,000 as what I would concede is a more than likely very low estimate.

Now your point is very well taken that to assume 1/3 or 1/2 of these planets would produce humans with DNA like ours is quite absurd. To assume that 1/3 to 1/2 of these planets would produce a dominant intelligent species based on primates however is not all that hard to fathom or assume.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 08:28 am
nipok wrote:
Now your point is very well taken that to assume 1/3 or 1/2 of these planets would produce humans with DNA like ours is quite absurd. To assume that 1/3 to 1/2 of these planets would produce a dominant intelligent species based on primates however is not all that hard to fathom or assume.

I'm aware that you're being quite polite and friendly, but, unfortunately, I cannot refrain from stating my opinion on this matter. Question: on what do you base the idea that the percentage of planets similar to us which produce humanoids is 33% - 50%, and not, say, 1% to 2%?
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 06:07 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
nipok wrote:

I'm aware that you're being quite polite and friendly, but, unfortunately, I cannot refrain from stating my opinion on this matter. Question: on what do you base the idea that the percentage of planets similar to us which produce humanoids is 33% - 50%, and not, say, 1% to 2%?

I suppose that all depends on our individual perceptions of what a humanoid is. I would consider a humanoid to be any one of many variations of the evolutionary path spawn from primate type creatures. I base my estimation due to the number of other species that have both the dexterity and intelligence to manipulate the world around them. Granted I am limited in perspective to only having the species on this planet as a vantage point but I also feel strongly that primatelike to humanlike evolution is more of the norm then the exception in this speck of dust we call a universe.
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 08:12 pm
me too, thats what i consider humanoids
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 10:38 am
nipok wrote:
...I also feel strongly that primatelike to humanlike evolution is more of the norm then the exception in this speck of dust we call a universe.

I'm not even sure that the existance of mammals is the "norm", much less the inception of primate mammals and then humans.

Let's suppose that dinosaurs had survived. Many of the smaller ones walked on two legs and had hands which could easily have become manipulative tools over the span of 65M years. They also had large brains and eyes.

What if one of those had evolved into a dinosaur/human type thing walking on two legs with hands and brain, would you call that "humanoid"? Remember, its internal physiology would be totally different from ours, even if it could still put on a pair of levis and a tshirt. It wouldn't nurse its young, and might be substantially larger than we are. Would these be considered "humanoid"?
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 07:39 pm
good point
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:24 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
nipok wrote:
...I also feel strongly that primatelike to humanlike evolution is more of the norm then the exception in this speck of dust we call a universe.

I'm not even sure that the existance of mammals is the "norm", much less the inception of primate mammals and then humans.

Let's suppose that dinosaurs had survived. Many of the smaller ones walked on two legs and had hands which could easily have become manipulative tools over the span of 65M years. They also had large brains and eyes.

What if one of those had evolved into a dinosaur/human type thing walking on two legs with hands and brain, would you call that "humanoid"? Remember, its internal physiology would be totally different from ours, even if it could still put on a pair of levis and a tshirt. It wouldn't nurse its young, and might be substantially larger than we are. Would these be considered "humanoid"?

I think dinosaurs where reptillion so their evolutionary path would more than likely produce reptiloids, dinasoids, or if they were plant eaters maybe hemaroids. Laughing

Yes it is possible that other species besides primates could become as dexterous with their hands but I don't see too much else being far from the norm. Again it is all speculation since we have a very limited vantage point or body of evidence to speculate from but it is my opinion that more intelligent civilizations on planets throughout our universe evolve from primates then from other species, genusi, families, orders, or classes.

Again, just my opinion. Even if dinosaurs were not wiped out by a comet there is no justification to assuming that homo erectus would still not have been able to spawn what we have today. It may have taken another 50,000 or 500,000+ years but there is still justifiable logic in my reasoning that we may have still become the dominant species.
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 12:43 pm
dinosaurs were reptilians?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 09:50 am
evolution is the 'environmental testing of errors'; and with that process at work producing a sentient species of any kind is most unlikely (but we have proof {perhaps} that it does happen) and the occurrence of a sentient, humanoid life form is even less likely.

My guess is, that if there are any other sentient beings out there, they will be very unlike us, probably to the point that communication is virtually impossible.

[This is all, of course hypothetical; entertaining, but unlikely to lead to any valuable conclusions.]
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 10:51 pm
but rosborne is right though, if some dinosaurs evolved into dino/human-like creatures would they even be considered humanoid

i think people are so quick to pass off humanoid aliens is because they think its too human, too unimaginative

plus i think the basic humanoid structure is the best for this type of planet, i dont know how some people could suggest there would be no humanoid aliens out there
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 11:19 pm
Gold Barz wrote:
but rosborne is right though, if some dinosaurs evolved into dino/human-like creatures would they even be considered humanoid

i think people are so quick to pass off humanoid aliens is because they think its too human, too unimaginative

plus i think the basic humanoid structure is the best for this type of planet, i dont know how some people could suggest there would be no humanoid aliens out there

Thats why I used the estimate that 1/3 to 1/2 of galactic dominant intelligent specices would be humanoid. I agree that we could have other species beside primate evolving into intellignet dominance of the food chain. That makes them dominat and intelligent but by my defintion it does not make them humanoid. Others seem to go even farther then me and require compatible DNA.
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 11:33 pm
most people on here seem to suggest that there cant be any humanoid aliens, its like they want to feel more special or something
0 Replies