Mary Baker Eddy and Universal Thought

Letty

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 12:46 pm
Twice in my life I turned to Christian Science in an effort to get help for my anxiety about religion. I still remember The Scientific Statement of Being, and I may even have a copy of Science and Health With Key to the Scriptures around somewhere.

There were so many don'ts in her philosophy, and I couldn't reconcile the two. Now I think I may have a glimmer of what she meant. It has to do with universal thought. If the majority of people think one way, i.e. about smoking, then it has an hypnotic effect on everyone; ergo, one shouldn't smoke, etc.

An Episcopal minister wrote a biog on her life, and even Mark Twain dedicated an entire volume to her.

"...there is nothing neither good nor bad but thinking makes it so..."

SOOOOO. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,227 • Replies: 2
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:36 pm
I'm not well versed in Christian Science, but I'm interested in all religions so I'm really just listening in. (I did once ask, on Abuzz, is Christian Scientist took their pets to the vet but never got a difinitive answer.)

I admit to having serious qualms about C.S.'s disdain of medicine...

BUT...

I do belive that thinking (can) make it so -- in some cases. Like in your smoking example. "Religion is the opiate of the people" said Karl Marx, and I belive that people who do things, or think things, in the name of their religion do try to make it so -- or at least use it as a justification for the outcome.

I am really curious Letty, about why you thought C.S. might alieve your anxiety about religion, if you care to share.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:03 am
Good morning, boomer. When I was young, I kept having this preoccupation with dying. It must have been the result of a panic attack. Having been raised in the Baptist church, I was certain that if I did die, that I would most certainly go to hell, because I loved doing all the don'ts.
This was an on and off thing, and my good friend at the time was a Christian Scientist. She started telling me about the basic beliefs, and I became interested. I did find reassurance in the philosophy because I was able to overcome my fear. Of course, as in most religions, there was a good degree of dogma that I couldn't quite grasp. It was much later that I understood Mary Baker Eddy's justification of how universal thought can affect one's health. As for the disdain for medicine, that was the most difficult part and eventually I left the church; however, I have kept her ideas tucked inside my mind, and realize that in many respects, she was right.
0 Replies