Identify cause of rock formation?

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 08:30 pm
I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about this interesting rock formation found on the bank of a very rocky creek. How does something like this form (more specific than "erosion")?
https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/2f415b9f-1003-4edc-859e-a7874de5092d.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,681 • Replies: 5
No top replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 11:19 pm
@Pork King,
It looks to me that the rocks that look like pavers were river rocks in a layer at the bottom of a lake, maybe at the mouth of a river. They were then buried by sediment which later became the surrounding rock. Then both were eroded away by rushing water exposing them in cross section. Just my guess.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2016 08:10 am
@Pork King,
That's a pretty cool looking hillside. My guess would be something like TomTomBinks' guess. I was thinking that large rocks accumulated on the bottom of a river and then later got covered in sediment which hardened. Then the the river bottom got pushed up for some reason.

The other thing which came to mind was that maybe it was an artificial stone wall (human construction) which then fell over or was knocked over. Some of the rocks look flat like they might have been part of a wall.

Where did you find this? What country? State?
timur

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2016 08:37 am
@rosborne979,
Quite similar to the turtle rocks in Petit St Jean state park, Arkansas:

http://www.lasplash.com/uploads//5ae6/4f0e4141602c3-petit-jean-state-park-6.jpg
0 Replies

timur

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2016 08:43 am
@TomTomBinks,
Agree with later sedimentation but maybe over a basaltic tessellated pavement.
TomTomBinks

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2016 12:27 am
@timur,
It seems that the "pavers" and the surrounding sediment have eroded at the same rate. What are the chances of the rocks and the later sedimentation having the same hardness? Probably very small. If the "pavers" were already flat when they were encased in sediment and then that sediment turned to stone and then was eroded away around them... I think you're right!
0 Replies