Can I learn anything from this rock?

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 07:40 pm
I found it at the beach and I don't know anything about geology and was wondering if there was anything interesting I could learn from it.

.https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153831192359543&id=540779542
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 619 • Replies: 3
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 08:53 pm
@AlleyKittie ,
The photo's aren't detailed enough to get much info out of them. The rock looks like it has layers which may mean it's sedimentary. It also looks rounded like it's been rolled around a lot (common for beach rocks).

If you could provide clearer photo's with something in the picture for perspective it might help. Also if you could say something about the rock like what it's texture it like, that might help a bit too.

What beach did you find it on?
0 Replies

AlleyKittie

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2016 02:39 pm
Here are better pictures, it's about the size on a tennis ball. The middle layer is more porous and the colours are grey, black, light grey, white, back to grey. There are some shells in it as well. I found it on Folly Beach, SC.
https://m.facebook.com/kitty.falasco/albums/10153837471199543/?_rdr
rosborne979

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2016 07:09 pm
@AlleyKittie ,
Ok. Fossils are pretty common in the Baltimore and Virginia shore area. So I think what you have there is a chunk of sedimentary rock containing a fossil layer which probably broke off north of where you found it, and was washed around in the ocean until it found it's way down to SC.
0 Replies