Tue 1 Mar, 2016 08:49 pm
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT MY OWN WORK. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY...but it is awesome and you might love it.
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF LOGIC
1. Thou shalt not attack the person's character, but the argument
[ -Ad Hominem- ]
2. Thou shalt not misrepresent or exaggerate a person's argument in order to make it easier to attack.
[ -Straw Man Fallacy- ]
3. Thou shalt not use small numbers to represent the all.
[ -Hasty Generalization- ]
4. Thou shalt not argue thy position by assuming one of it's premises is true.
[ -Begging The Question- ]
5. Thou shalt not claim that because something occurred before, it must be the cause.
[ -Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc / False Cause- ]
6. Thou shalt not reduce the argument down to two possibilities.
[ -False dichotomy- ]
7. Thou shalt not argue that because of our ignorance, a claim must be true or false. Also known as appeal to ignorance (in which ignorance represents "a lack of contrary evidence"), is a fallacy in informal logic.
[ -Argumentum ad ignorantiam- ]
8a. Thou shalt not lay the burden of proof onto him that is questioning the claim.
[ -Burden of Proof Reversal- ]
8b. "A proposition is true because many or most people believe it: "If many believe so, it is so."
[-Argumentum ad Populum- ]
9. Thou shalt not assume "this" follows "that" when there is no logical connection
[ -Non Sequitur- ]
10. Thou shalt not argue that because a premise is popular, therefore it must be true.
[ -Bandwagon Fallacy- ]
And no, I am not trying to take all of the fun out of politics.
I thought you were tying to take all the fun out of the Creationism threads
These could shut down A2K in a matter of days.
Fuzzy Logic is a best seller. Classical Logic rarelly is used as a purpose in itself....99% of the time logic is a tool serving a segment of an argument with an agenda. Logic is not extint in human culture because it sells security in a first moment to provide further easier forms of deception in the next. Again logic is a temporary intrument to secure functional group complex tasking that is abandoned as soon the basic needs of cooperation in Neo Darwinism are satisfied. That part being granted brute force Darwinism recuurs to fuzzy logic and fallacy as a political instrument to secure power and mass control.
But what if you put bunting on the Bandwagon fallacy? Red, white and blue bunting.
I agree with most of that. But the cure is to state your contention with supporting facts. When something is true, that is enough. To add on the refutation of what is false really often adds nothing.
IF Jesus is the Son of God (for example) there is no reason whatsoever to answer any other religious claims. Yet on here that is the first thing people do.
I must have mistaken this for a religion thread, first time around, and jumped over it. Fourteen years of religious arguing has become so tiresome and predictable -
Mostly, I tell the truth as I see it, or present somebody else's argument, to see what others think, on a2k. I admit to having an agenda. I shall not be dissuaded.
Don't worry. The ten commandments you listed will be broken in politics whether it's in the US or other countries.
Yes, I do love it.
I agree with all of these. (BM)
Don't 8b and 10 refer to the same fallacy?
bingo! But, it's still a good list.
To not be dissuaded because you WILL not to is to be anti-reason.
What? You need to improve your English grammar.
Did you use a fuzzy logic generator to come up with this nonsense?
For you to give a crap about it is nosy and pushy.