Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 01:02 pm
I thought Go Fund Me was set up to help someone in real need for money. For example requiring surgery/medical procedure and you cannot afford it or some other personal emergency - where you actually NEED the money. Almost like you would set up a charity for someone in need.

Recently heard a family member was setting up a Go Fund Me so she could pay for a trip to Disney World. This is an adult that wants this trip for a milestone birthday. Is Go Fund Me set up too for birthdays?

Is it the new Gift Registry?

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 01:12 pm
@Linkat,
Go Fund Me is like any other crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter, Indiegogo, etc....

A lot of the proposed projects are a bunch of malarkey where the most infamous case was the potato salad project.
Quote:
6,911 backers pledged $55,492 to help bring this project to life.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 01:14 pm
@Linkat,
pretty much all of the Go Fund Me's have been a private version of PBS begging week

gimme gimme gimme money
Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 01:44 pm
@ehBeth,
To be honest when I heard that -- I had no intention of giving any money. I am not giving money for someone to take a trip.

Now it would be different say it was like Make A Wish where a child with a serious illness gets a special gift --- like a trip to Disney.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 01:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yep - currently, a Star Trek unofficial production is being sued for copyright infringement - between IndieGoGo and Kickstarter, they raised over a million simoleons to make a movie based on intellectual property they did not own.

IndieGoGo and Kickstarter received a cut (as they do for all fully funded projects). Did they profit from IP infringement?

You make the call, sports fans.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 02:32 pm
@jespah,
They probably go the way of 50 Shades of Grey and E. L. James' Twilight fan fiction. Change the names of the characters and the other IP particulars. She made a fortune on a pile of crap.
Miller

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 05:56 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

gimme gimme gimme money

You? Wouldn't that be like squeezing bleed from a rock? Laughing
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 06:00 am
@tsarstepan,
The production might. But IGG and KS -- they profited from IP infringement.
0 Replies