The UK's Deadliest Doner Kebab

Col Man

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:20 am
KEBAB IS A GUT-BUSTER

http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1232170.jpg
Glasgow kebab: 1,000 calories

A new 1,000 calorie kebab has been dubbed the most dangerous fast food in Britain.

The Stonner is a pork sausage wrapped in doner kebab meat coated in batter and deep fried.

It contains 46 grams of fat and is double the calories of a Big Mac.

Glasgow's Ruby Chip Shop has even put a health warning on its new offering.

A notice in the window reads: "Due to the severe health damage of this fine dish we can only supply one Stonner supper per customer per week."

Owner Saei Sangag said customers were queuing up for the Stonner.

He said: "They are flying out of the fryers. Everyone loves going to the chippy and I was trying to think of something new."

Glasgow, which is known as the sickest city in Britain, was where the deep fried Mars Bar was invented.

The new kebab has been blasted by health experts.

Michael Lean, professor of human nutrition at Glasgow Royal Infirmary, said: "This type of thing leads to poor health.

"It doesn't take a lot of common sense to see that it is a stupid thing to be producing."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,411 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 01:48 pm
As long as it sells, I don't think it will ever disappear from Ruby Chip Shop.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 03:37 pm
yeah only the death, from heart disease, of every kebab eater in glasgow will stop this Very Happy
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 06:04 pm
but Col Man, you've just got to love human nature. We're simply so perverse, it's delicious.

Wink
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 06:38 am
I do have to say that Doner Kebab is delicious. I ate it twice when I was in Bulgaria, and Jesus Christ, I could have eaten a dozen of those in five minutes. Just so delicious!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:23 am
I've never eaten a kebab... and I sure as hell wouldn't eat this one.

I think that, with some things, one has to consider the possibilities that each action can have when eating...

0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:38 am
Kebabs have been a part of the UK's drinking scene for as long as I can remember. On average I eat about 1 a fortnight after drinking in the pub. I'd certainly give this beast a go as well.

I believed that a regular donner kebab is fairly low in fat, as the meat is grilled and the rest is just pitta bread and raw vegetables. I gues this bad boy falls down on the calorie count.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:35 am
What you've described is here called a souvlaki. They're really very popular (and very tasty).
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 10:18 am
ha its called a souvlaki cos of the greeks and i just happen to know melbourne has the largest greek population outside greece Wink
plus i know at least three greek australians from.... melbourne.... funnily enough Very Happy
donner is slighlty different and in my opinion far inferior to the souvlaki Smile
donner (here in england) tends to use ground up lamb with all sorts in it
but the souvlaki (well the souvlakis i ate in greece anyway) were chicken breast in a gyros(round greek pitta bread) with tzatziki and salad and a few chips
ive also seen kind of lamb meat souvlaki in athens but they werent as good as the chicken they were more fatty but at least it was real pieces of meat in greece...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 10:24 am
Well, there is another major difference between this dish and a real souvlaki. Souvlaki, which is generally made from either lamb, pork or chicken, is based on marinated cubes of meat threaded on a skewer and grilled, then put into a pita with toppings. My preference is for pork souvlaki, somewhere between the lamb and chicken for fatiness, and a fine tasty tribute to my Jewish heritage.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 10:26 am
yeah thats right Smile
i forgot to mention they meat was done on skewers and in cubes Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 10:27 am
NOT deep fried.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 10:28 am
one of my girlfriend is jewish im just talking to her right now funnily enough shes in israel at the moment but lives in argentina too
she eats pork as well Razz
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:12 am
Yeah, the one's we get here are made with cubes of meat and trimmings approximately as describes by Col Man and cavfancier. You can also get them made with lamb cooked rotisserie style which is then shaved.

Incidentally, a kebab as I know it is cubes meat (and usually vegetables) on a skewer, most often marinated, which is then grilled and served with the skewer. Yummy!

Col Man, correct about the Greeks. They do add "flavour" (pun intended) to our fair city. It's pretty multicultural here, just the way we like it.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:14 am
yeah i love the greeks Wink
i got many greek friends and a greek girlfriend too Smile
and i really want to visit melbourne... its on my 'have to do soon' list
sounds cool to me fortune Wink
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:16 am
What can I say? I love the place!
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:22 am
have you lived in melbourne all your life?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:27 am
I love Melbourne... I stayed in Saint Kilda for a while, (during the winter.) Where in Melbourne do you come from, Fortune? Weirdly, everybody-- taxi drivers, random strangers, everyone-- told their personal problems to me there. I had some unusual stories that I heard.

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 12:21 pm
I live in the far eastern suburbs. I have a lovely view of the mountains from my bedroom window. I haven't lived here all my life, I grew up in a town a few hours drive from Melbourne (coincidentally about as long a trip by train as it is from my home to the city centre). My family moved to this city when I was a teenager and I've stayed here ever since.

I love this city, it's always felt homey to me, even when I was only staying with relatives here on vacation as a child. I couldn't imagine living in a city where you couldn't strike up a friendly conversation with your taxi driver if you felt like it. You must project a very sympathetic aura, Drom, if all you got were people's problems! Smile
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 12:24 pm
cool Smile lucky you Wink
0 Replies