Moms hold 'nurse-in' at Starbucks

Col Man

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 07:55 am
SEATTLE (Reuters) - More than two dozen mothers staged a breastfeeding "nurse-in" at a Starbucks store in Maryland over the weekend in an effort to get the world's largest coffee shop chain to adopt a policy allowing breastfeeding in all its U.S. stores.

Lorig Charkoudian, who organised the event, said on Tuesday that she began her quest a month ago when she was nursing her 15-month-old daughter at the store in Silver Spring, Maryland, and was asked by a Starbucks employee to cover up with a blanket or breastfeed in the bathroom.

She protested and, after eventually reaching the regional vice president, got Seattle-based Starbucks to recognise a Maryland law that allows mothers to breastfeed their children in public.

Starbucks spokeswoman Audrey Lincoff said in a statement that the coffee chain "quickly apologised for her negative experience" and reminded employees at its Maryland stores to comply with the law.

Charkoudian argues that Starbucks should have gone a step further and allow breastfeeding at all its 5,882 coffee shops in the United States.

"While Starbucks does not have a formal policy regarding mothers breastfeeding babies within our stores, we welcome nursing mothers to our stores,' Lincoff said in a prepared statement, "Starbucks complies with all applicable state and local laws regarding breastfeeding."

Fast-food chain Burger King adopted a policy late last year allowing breastfeeding in all its restaurants, after being faced with a similar protest in Utah.

About 20 states have laws protecting the rights of mothers to breastfeed in public.

"Ultimately every ... state should have a law," said Charkoudian, "We want Starbucks to set a precedent and be a leader, since it is a leader with a claim to being socially conscious."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,180 • Replies: 21
No top replies

doglover

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:09 pm

Speaking of Latee's Razz

Actually, I find Starbucks to be an uppity, overpriced, pretentious place. Rolling Eyes

As for breastfeeding babies...breasts are for men to enjoy not for babies looking for a free meal. :wink:
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:13 pm
haha i agree Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:25 pm
"breastfeed in the bathroom" -- yechhh.

Before I perfected my technique (it involved a thin cotton pareo with a high-contrast print on it -- blankets are WAY too hot for the baby in all but the coldest months, and even then usually too hot if you're inside) I was intimidated enough by the disapproving glances that I tried the bathroom thing -- SO doesn't work. Had to strike these awkward one-foot-on-the-toilet poses... grrr.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:26 pm
Starbucks is far from uppity, though overpriced I'll agree to. At the same time, they have taught much of America how to brew a decent, strong cup of coffee. Nothing worse than crayon coffee.

Def: Crayon coffee: Someone takes a brown crayon and swirls it in some hot water.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:28 pm
far out...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:45 pm
I would, for the moment, like to ignore the legal issues, and address a purely personal observation. I believe that there are certain things that people do that should be done in private, and not be "out there". To me breastfeeding falls into that category.

I know that breastfeeding is a natural act. I also know that our culture has made a mess of its perceptions of the female breast. I think that many people, seeing a baby breastfed, might have a myriad of reactions, many negative.

I also believe that people have the right to do as they please, as long as they don't trample on the rights of others. So, what I would say, that the operative word here is "unobtrusive". Some women appear to be so hell bent on showing the rest of the world how right and natural breastfeeding is, that I think that they go out of their way to put on a show.

So my PERSONAL opinion is this. Breastfeed your child, but do it in the most unobtrusive way possible. As a compassionate person would do in ANY situation, be aware of the sensitivities of the people around you. Better still, try to arrange your schedule so that you won't have to breastfeed in public, except in an exceptional circumstance.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:47 pm
Uh, phoenix, babies eat when THEY want to...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:52 pm
Very true, and there are probably times that a mother needs to breastfeed in an awkward time.

Let me tell you where I am coming from. I have seen mothers feed their infants in a way that left nothing to the imagination. It was almost as if they were flaunting the act. I find that very rude, and inconsiderate. The mother could at least turn herself in a way that most of the people in the room do not have to intimately observe what she is doing.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:52 pm
i thought phoenix's post was well thought out and cool
cant they wait?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:54 pm
hmm ok never seen stuff like that...
ive lived a sheltered life...
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 05:01 pm
While I did not breastfeed my son (breastfeeding wasn't something I felt comfortable doing) I don't see why these mothers make the act of feeding their child such a big deal.

Why doesn't a breastfeeding mother pump some milk and bottle it. I understand breast milk can be stored in the fridge for months. That way, when a mom goes out with her baby, she can take a bottle of milk with her and the need to breastfeed in public is eliminated.

Personally, I think women who breastfeed in public are exhibistionists clocked in the guise of motherhood.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 05:02 pm
Col Man wrote:
hmm ok never seen stuff like that...
ive lived a sheltered life...

I somehow doubt that you have lived a sheltered life Col Man. :wink:
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 05:03 pm
aww.... shh.... Wink
dont tell anyone Razz
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 05:14 pm
Quote:
Why doesn't a breastfeeding mother pump some milk and bottle it. I understand breast milk can be stored in the fridge for months. That way, when a mom goes out with her baby, she can take a bottle of milk with her and the need to breastfeed in public is eliminated.

Hadn't thought about that, but I think that is a great idea. It certainly makes it much easier for the mother!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 05:20 pm
Col Man wrote:
Can't they wait?

[gales of laughter]

See cjhsa's post, Col. When the babies are older, you can bring some sort of scheduling into it, sometimes. But with little babies, no, they can't wait.

Doglover, did you ever try pumping? It's an enormous hassle, uncomfortable, takes forever, etc. And then it has to be kept fresh -- no preservatives. But it has to be warm for the baby. So there is a whole lotta equipment and hassle involved, vs. lift shirt, plop baby on. No muss no fuss.

Doglover wrote:
Personally, I think women who breastfeed in public are exhibistionists clocked in the guise of motherhood.

You are NOT serious with this one, are you? I'd moved from CA to IL when I was 6 months pregnant, didn't know anyone, staying home full time, hubby working long hours. Babies who breastfeed, again, eat when they want to. My only option if I wanted to avoid breastfeeding in public was a) do the pumping thing I describe above (did I mention it hurt, too? it did) or b) never go out.

I took reasonable precautions, but there is only so much you can do when there is a wiggly little baby involved, especially a social little wiggly baby like sozlet who did NOT appreciate having her sightlines cut off. She'd do this thing where she'd latch on and then wham, crane WAY back to take a look around and give everyone a very clear view.

She figured out how to do this one with the pareo, too, though I was generally more adept by that point.

Basically, if people are saying they don't want to see it, well, OK, I understand that. I certainly saw that in a lot of people's faces, which was unpleasant, but whatever. But "exhibitionists"?? Come on.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 05:22 pm
I say Starbucks, don't give in, this is a coffee house, not a nursery!

Hmmm....I guess the problem is that this is the law?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 05:36 pm
Quote:
Starbucks spokeswoman Audrey Lincoff said in a statement that the coffee chain "quickly apologised for her negative experience" and reminded employees at its Maryland stores to comply with the law.

So Starbucks should just go ahead and break the law?

I understand the noise and bother factor of bringing a newborn to a fancy restaurant far more than getting all het up about a bit of boob showing. If you see a mother with a baby at Starbuck's, you can't make sure you get a chair facing the other way?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 05:36 pm
Oh, you edited!

Yep, the law.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 05:37 pm
sozobe wrote:
Quote:
[gales of laughter]

See cjhsa's post, Col. When the babies are older, you can bring some sort of scheduling into it, sometimes. But with little babies, no, they can't wait.

um ok...
i dont know anything about babies..
it was a long time since i was one and i personally havent got into having them...

thx 4 the info Wink
0 Replies