Model of Good Debate International Politics

cobalt

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 01:48 pm
To those unfamiliar with this online global journalism magazine, the Blue Ear Forum is at Blue Ear Forum and provides the most amazing interactions from writers and members around the world. In particular, the International, Political, Religion, and Individual Country forums provide sterling and engaging debates between respectful and knowledgeable opposing posters.

I suscribe to the daily newsletters and have had several articles published there (couldn't believe I was accepted for comment!) and have posted "my take" in response to some articles. Content changes daily but for the threads most active - new responses are featured.

It's rare for me to suscribe to a daily newsletter that is online - that is, to have it delivered to my "inbox", but it is that meaningful to me. The daily digests list the new articles and responses with short summaries, and link to the full articles online. If any a2k'er look into it, I'd love to hear your comments. BTW, there are also forums for books, music, travel, etc. No, it is not like a2k in any way. There is a limit of up to 30 articles or responses accepted daily.

As a model of positive interaction by opposing vehement posters, I encourage perusal.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,184 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 01:12 pm
Interesting, but they are a forum wherein posts are approved by Moderators before showing up on the forum. We have a lot of posts - way too many to review them all before they go out. Plus, we want more than 30 posts going out on a daily basis (we haven't been at that level since, oh, I don't know. I think when it was just Craven and me we still had more daily posts than that). Hence, we depend upon our membership to prepare great posts, and to let us know when there are problems with posts (technical issues, spam, invective, etc.). And, our membership has done an excellent job in these regards.

You're definitely right in pointing out that they're not like A2K in any way.

Also, you might be interested in our debate guidelines. See: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2684
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 09:33 pm
Jespah - I was wanting to point out the blueear site because there is such a very positive way to express very polar opposites on politics. A peek at the political posts there in and the International topics will show that the posts are selected by a moderator (one only - Ethan Casey) and blue ears) allows only the best representations of opposing viewpoints. As some replies get mighty heated, it is largely a self-policing forum. Since most of the original members of the forum receive their posts daily via emails to their own inboxes, that is one reason for the 30 per day or less limit.

I still hold out hope that the rowdier and less polite political posters here in a2k will take a look at some more effective ways to converse about a 'charged' subject.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 11:04 pm
I dropped by for a short perusal, but will visit again tomorrow for a closer view. Thanks for the info. c.i.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 06:13 am
thanks for the lead, cobalt.
it's always good to have a variety of forums to look at.
the differing perspectives and styles are always interesting to investigate.
i know i'd be bloody stale if i didn't have choices to select from
some days a conversational site is more appropriate for my mood - others a more serious technical site is what i want to spend most of my available time at
Thanks again.
0 Replies