HDTV Terminology: anyone know of a good source on-line?

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 11:51 am
I recently purchased a rear-projection HDTV monitor, and while I'm no dummy, there are a lot of HDTV terms and specifications with which I'm not familiar. I tried doing a quick Google search for a resource I could use to "bone up" on the topic, but drew a blank.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,277 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:25 pm
http://hdtvinfoport.com/

You are aware that you loose around 20% of the possible resolution on rear projection sets.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:39 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
http://hdtvinfoport.com/
You are aware that you loose around 20% of the possible resolution on rear projection sets.

I was not, though at my age I've probably lost about 30% of the possible resolution of my eyes, so the difference would be lost on me anyway. Also, with a plasma TV I would lose about 400% of the money. :wink:

Thanks for the link!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 03:18 pm
I hope you wear glasses! Plasma TV's are dropping more rapidly than I expected, the 42" now around $4,000.00. To get the maximum resolution, view a rear projection TV dead center where the pixels aren't as scattered to allow for periferal angles.
The LCD screens are beginning to come to the U.S. and they are fantastic, although 30" is about the limit right now. The front projection HDTV with a good screen are truly mind boggling as one can fill a 14' x 14' room with a 6 x 10' image. Talk about being at the movies! The disadvantage is ambient light but then the rear projection sets have abandoned the glare cancelling screens and have to be placed so there's no mirror reflection of windows, etc. They're actually not much different as far as contrast in ambient light. There are some new fresnel lense technologies that will improve the resolution of HDTV images on rear projection sets. You may have one and it drops the resolution loss a bit.
0 Replies