Locking in "view topics since your last visit"

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2002 07:06 am
Hi! There is one aspect of this forum that is

driving me nuts, and will get worse once it takes off. I love the "view topics since your last visit". I click on it, and all

the unread stuff is highlighted. Sometimes I want to go off site for a moment, and when I return, 30 seconds later, all the

highlights are off. Is there any way, that is not too difficult for you, that we could "lock in" the highlights Question

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,719 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2002 07:45 am
The highlights are

calculated based on a very simple and small cookie. The cookie is compared to the post's date and if your last visit is

earlier it is highlighted. Out of curiosity, do you logout?

I can try to find a way to get what you want done but that

might mean a whole lot of cookies (one for every thread) or an unacceptable amout of database querying.

But there

might be a better solution elsewhere. I don't use that link anymore and use the 24 hours link.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2002 08:13 am
Craven- If you can do something without too much trouble, I would

appreciate it. If it is a major project, I can work around the problem!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2002 09:47 am
It's a major

project but some other people are already working on it. I found this discussion (I removed all names emails and personal

information) and am going to participate in the development and testing of this mod if I have the

time.

Quote:

Curently the forum can take you directly to new posts in a topic since your last visit

TO THE FORUM. The next time you come back, these are reset and you can go to the new posts since THAT visit.

I would

like to have this modified to do the following:

1. Not be tied to the last visit to the SITE but the last visit to

the TOPIC. That way, if a user only had a short period of time to read some high interest topics, he could do it and when

he/she came back with more time, would be able to see the topics that they have and have not read.

2. Make this the

default for clicking the topic title (opening the thread). If there are new posts since your last time you viewed the thread,

it takes you directly to the next unread post. If there are NO new posts in the thread since the last time you viewed it, it

opens it standard the way it does now.

I have the mod to do this with YaBB if it would be beneficial to anyone

willing to develop this mod.

--------

I know exactly what you are talking about. I was a bit

surprised to find that the history is kept only by last login time and have been doing a bit of since. The mod you are

talking about (strictly the tracking mod) is quite a bit of work, but I believe it is work that must be done for my site to

operate. I really like this forum code and am going to make this mod rather than going with another board software with the

feature. I was also surprised that more people haven't complained about this "feature".

I am not sure when I will

have the mod complete but will probably start next week. I anticipate it will take about 20-30 hours or so to finish so I

might get it done in a week, maybe two. It is quite large and needing DB schema changes and such.

I will try to let

you know when I am done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds great. If you want to

compare notes or have somewhere to test it, let me know. We will have our testing board up by then with no users. It's great

for making sure everything works. Let's make sure we are on the same page and cover all the bases. E-mail me at ----------.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have this

mod for a YaBB forum. I know these are two separate, completely different programs, but it might prove helpful in the

development of the mod. If it would help you, let me know and I'll send it over. It wasn't as comprehensive as I would have

liked, but it did the trick.

I have finished the code and

my unit testing. I am going to a few users pound on it a while and see if they can break it. The fix was quite large (as I

guessed) but the solution is rather fast and removed much of the crappy cookie tracking they use. Overall, I am REALLY happy

with the fix. I just don't know why they didn't do it to start with.

I will write the mod up but it will take a bit

of time. I have compartmentalized most of the functions inside a single file for ease of use and readibility.

Just

curious, do you still need the mod or are you pretty happy with what you have?

I still need and want it!!!

If you want another test area, we have a test board, separate from our main site, set up where we can "pound on" it as well.

Just let me know how I can help. Getting this working would be a real plus in my book for this application! You don't know

how appreciated your work on this is. I've thought about it often but didn't want to "bug" you.

I have implemented "users

view count" on my forum, witch also stores when the user did last see the topic, this could be expanded to also make the

"read/not read" icon change, I will try look into this...

Ok, I have now made a "test"

for this, and it slows down the forum a bit....
this is so far not more than one can live with.

But another

problem was rising...."mark all topic as read", this would be rather difficult to solve, since, if this was "supported" by

the mod, it would mark the post, as the user have actual read this post, that way "destroning the information about how meny

times the user have seen this post.

any solutions ?

btw. the mod is runing demo on ---------, so registerd

users can see how topics are marked as read/not read as soon as they enter the post...works good, so far, except the above

probelm with "mark post as read"
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2002 10:11 am
Bad news, the lead

developer of this feature just quit and for very sound reasons:

Code:
Giving up , I have take a look

at this, but I can't really figure out a "fast" way to select the information

this was the SQL used on the

index page
[code]$sql = "SELECT t.forum_id, t.topic_id, p.post_time
FROM " . TOPICS_TABLE . "

t, " . POSTS_TABLE . " p,
" . TOPIC_VIEW_TABLE . " tv
WHERE p.post_id = t.topic_last_post_id

AND p.post_time > tv.view_time
AND tv.user_id = ".$userdata['user_id']."
AND

t.topic_moved_id = 0"; [/code]

(require the user view count mod)

I have removed the mod

from the index, since it was slowing down the main page (load 2.5 sec), so there is no demo availble anymore... I

guess there is too mutch info to search among

I think I'd have to rewrite a lot of stuff to get

this working. I am going to suggest a non database solution to them right now but if that doesn't work it's a no go.
0 Replies