The most Australian thing you'll see today...

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 03:21 pm

You may need an Australian to English dictionary...

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 03:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
That's hilarious.

Pluggers are flip flops, btw.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 03:43 pm
@Lordyaswas,
A moot danga like yourself would find it funny...
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 03:46 pm
Could not understand the ruddy cobbers.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 03:48 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Moot danga is really quite rude. Definitely over the top for breakfast TV.

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 03:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Could not understand the ruddy cobbers.

You'll have to learn Strine, or get a bogan in as a lodger for a while.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 03:50 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I had to look it up but it certainly does seem so.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 04:29 pm
I understood the word noodles in there, and something about stubbies.

Last night, I had marching orders while I was out to get a dozen Krispy Kremes (donuts).

I walked in at the same time as 3 strapping lads.

When presented with the mandatory free donut at the counter, they went bonkers.

It was then I realized they were from Oz, and had never been in a KK before.

I was looking over the array of donuts, and didn't realize for about 2 minutes one of them was talking to me.

Texas meets Oz.
wow.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 05:33 pm
mark
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 06:49 pm
@Lordyaswas,
What on earth is a moot danga?
roger

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 07:07 pm
@dlowan,
It's either a dinga that doesn't matter, or it's the main dinga.

Oddly, moot has two meanings that are the exact opposite of one another.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 03:45 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Google is your friend.

I had some trouble understanding them. They're Queenslanders - they're different up there! And so is their language!
dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 04:47 am
@Robert Gentel,
Ok. That's hilarious.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 04:52 am
@margo,
Pluggers. Never heard that. Stubbies and singlets. Oh dearie me. I thought stubbies died a couple of decades ago.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 04:58 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

You've probably googled by now, so.......

I think stubbies, in this instance, refers to short shorts. He'd been to a stubbies and singlets party.

Watched it again this morning, and found it just as funny.
dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 05:01 am
@Lordyaswas,
Yep, googled the moot thing. Stubbies are the ugliest goddam shorts you ever saw. They make anyone look ugly and stupid. No style at all.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 05:05 am
@dlowan,
This all puts me in mind of Hogan, in his pre Dundee days, when he had that comedy sketch show with his little mate who dressed up in those stubbies and some kind of weird swimming cap.

The hangover cure sketch springs to mind.

roger

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 06:12 am
@Lordyaswas,
Thanks. My hearing almost never works well with videos. This one needed no words.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 03:18 pm
I was in Australia for a month, on business, back in 2002 and the third night there, a large group of my Aussie colleagues invited me to join them for drinks. I was enjoying just listening to them talk and I told them so. They then asked me what I thought of the way the kiwi spoke. I knew at the time "kiwi" was a New Zealander, but I had no idea which one of them he or she might be. They had me guess and I of course got it wrong and apparently semi-offended the woman I identified as the kiwi.

When they actually identified the New Zealander, I still couldn't discern the difference in accent, but to be fair to me he'd been living in Australia for something like five years and probably adopted their manner of speech to some extent. In any case they were all amazed I couldn't tell the difference.

By the time I left their country I had met a few other kiwis and I could tell the difference, but it made me wonder if they would be able to, at first encounter, discern the difference between regional US accents. Say Texan vs North Carolinian. Never had a chance to experiment but my guess is that they would have a tough time. Pretty sure they would be able to tell there was a big difference between someone from NY and someone from Alabama, but I still don't think the difference between Aussie and Kiwi is as pronounced.

We have some Aussies here...what do you think?

PS Ironically (at least I thought it was) the name of the Sydney bar was The Brooklyn Club (actually had to become a member and still have the brass membership fob).
dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 05:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I can see why you'd have trouble.

Also, there is a major variation between different kiwis as to how strong the kiwi accent is.

To my ear, some US accents sound the same to my ear when they come from different areas, some are clearly different.

On the whole I'd expect most English speakers to be much better at discerning the difference between various US accents than you guys are at differentiation between say, England, Oz, South Africa and NZ. This is because we get bombarded by US shows and you guys seem rarely to broadcast stuff from other English speaking countries.

In the US most people think I am from England, for instance.