Why Europeans don't believe in work...

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:06 am
danload wrote:
I live in Bois-Colombes and work in Asnières sur Seine.
It's very close to Courbevoie (both towns touch Courbevoie actually).
I could have met you in the street without knowing!

From driving/passing by, I know meanwhile Bois-Colombes and Asnières s/S quite well by now :wink:

Indeed, I believe, I saw you one morning and the other night Laughing

(Not the worst place to live and work, btw!)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:14 am
McGentrix wrote:
Nothing existed long before zero. Someone merely identified and defined a concept that meant nothing. You can't invent the absence of something, you can only define it. same with one. Cavemen could identify a single thing from multiple things. They even had 10 fingers and 10 toes.

Go tell a physicist about the existence of nothing. The absence of something is a pretty abstract idea.

Anyway, I still maintain that we invented numbers. There were things around to count, yes, but you had to invent a method of counting them to keep track. Was language invented or discovered? Was logic invented or discovered?

(Okay, you can make the neurological argument that our brains contain operators for numbers, music, and language, and that we therefore are hardwired to use them, which would constitute a discovery of sorts...)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:19 am
Sorry, wrong thread...
0 Replies

danload

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:19 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Indeed, I believe, I saw you one morning and the other night Laughing

Yes I'm the guy with the beret and the baguette that everyone is talking about...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:26 am
Don't walk past the dog you see in my avatar picture with a baguette, unless you plan to make a new friend. The smell of a fresh baguette can make him positively frantic--he bounces and jumps and follows you around until it is brought out to be eaten. He will become very indignant if you put the baguette in the kitchen and walk away.
0 Replies

danload

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:34 am
Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:45 am
danload wrote:

Yes I'm the guy with the beret and the baguette that everyone is talking about...

You should tell the others here about those two young ladies as well! (I honestly think, people were looking more at them and about ... well, about ...)
0 Replies