Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

saab

Fri 21 Oct, 2016 11:42 am
http://s2.lemde.fr/image/2014/10/23/534x0/4511605_7_e546_jean-claude-juncker-et-angela-merkel-avec_e8a654a9ad1413c7acf5f1db10a35d87.jpg
Let´s get together and punish UK and give it real hard Brexit.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 21 Oct, 2016 11:52 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
France's Juppe says UK border with France should be moved to England: Guardian
Actually, Calais - the last continental possession of England - has been French only since January 7th, 1558. What Juppe suggests is an overhaul of 2002 Le Touquet agreement.
France shouldn't manage refugees' and migrants' affairs for the UK, he said.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 21 Oct, 2016 12:04 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Downing Street has rejected the suggestion from the French presidential hopeful Alain Juppé that he would tear up a treaty with the UK to push back the border for migrants from Calais to Kent.

A source made clear that the prime minister, Theresa May, who has spent two days meeting world leaders at the European council meeting in Brussels, would expect any French leader to maintain the agreement.
Source
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 21 Oct, 2016 12:19 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Actually, some French ministers and spokespersons from the opposition were already in 2014 and again in 2015 threatening about the cancellation of the Le Touquet Treaty.

And there had been trouble with those juxtaposed controls since they were introduced in 2004 ("Lille loophole", for instance and more recently similar about Cologne/Aix-la-Chapelle)
0 Replies

saab

Fri 21 Oct, 2016 12:24 pm
Calais - the last continental possession of England
let´s celebrate the 460th anniversery the 7th of January 2018 by giving Calais back to England instead of moving the French border to England.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 21 Oct, 2016 12:44 pm
@saab,
And votive medals for that event should be printed from the material left over after melting down Rodin's The Burghers of Calais.

But why only Calais and not the other English possessions?
http://i64.tinypic.com/108buxi.jpg
saab

Fri 21 Oct, 2016 01:03 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Of course Rodin´s Burghers of Calais should not be melted down - leave it for nostalgic reasons.
No - not the other English possessions. That would be too much. One should not be gready.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 22 Oct, 2016 06:57 am
http://i64.tinypic.com/2qsxsp3.jpg
From The Independent. Source and full report: May made an impossible demand on the EU
Walter Hinteler

Sat 22 Oct, 2016 11:15 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Britain’s biggest banks are preparing to relocate out of the UK in the first few months of 2017 amid growing fears over the impending Brexit negotiations, while smaller banks are making plans to get out before Christmas: Brexit politicians are putting us on a fast track to financial jeopard

The the chief executive of the British Bankers’ Association, Anthony Browne, says, too, that both British and European politicians who appear to be pursuing “anti-trade” goals need to recognise that “putting up barriers to the trade in financial services across the Channel will make us all worse off”.
He warns the EU that banks based in UK are currently lending £1.1tn, therefore “keeping the continent afloat financially”, and that this arrangement is at risk.
0 Replies

saab

Sun 23 Oct, 2016 02:56 am
Day after day we get the domesday news about UK and how life will be.
Of course it was the Leave people who won, so it is so easy to blame everything on them.
We should go back a few years and look at how EU has developed within the last 20 years, how things have gone for some countries since they got the euro.
Just look what has happened within the last two years. Border controls, anti this and anti that. It has come so far that some people feel they are back in the 30th again waiting for a new war.
The Brexit leave people are bad, Orban is bad, EU scepticer are bad,
EU politicians are right, Merkel is an angel, pro EU people are good.

So let us have a hard Brexit and break UK and really show them off.
That´s it. Blame everything on one group and wash your hands in innocence
and be content and not do a thing to help.

Walter Hinteler

Sun 23 Oct, 2016 05:14 am
@saab,
The topic of this thread is about Brexit and why the Brits want out of the EU.

I try to post from British sources about this.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 23 Oct, 2016 06:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Hilary Benn, the new chairman of the Commons Brexit committee, called for Parliament to have the right to send back the Government’s Brexit plans as inadequate – before any vote on starting Britain’s EU exit.

Speaking to the BBC’s Andrew Marr programme, Mr Benn said: “"t’s not a vote on Article 50 – I think Parliament would seek to have a vote on the negotiating plan, because they are two different things."
He added: "The Government might need to come back and say 'alright’ we have had a think about it and we are going to change this or do that'."

Benn also demanded that the Government announce whether it will seek a transitional arrangement for businesses after Brexit, if no trade deal can be thrashed out by the date of departure.
Quote:
Away from economics, other key issues included whether Britain will remain a member of Europol, or continue to enforce the EU-wide arrest warrant, he said.

Asked about Mr Benn’s demands, Transport Secretary and Brexit supporter Chris Grayling repeated that the Government would not be “laying all its cards on the table”.

He told Mr Marr: “We will be informing Parliament as much as we can, but the national interest has to come first.”
Source and full report.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 23 Oct, 2016 06:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Britain could halve its headline corporation tax rate to 10% if the European Union refuses to agree a post-Brexit free trade deal or blocks UK-based financial services firms from accessing its market, the Sunday Times has reported today.
The proposal would be used to try and persuade the EU to grant "passporting" rights for financial services firms to continue operating across the EU, the newspaper said.
Cutting corporation tax could attract companies away from the EU to Britain, boosting its economy and challenging Ireland's preeminence as Europe's low tax home for large international companies. Source
0 Replies

contrex

Sun 23 Oct, 2016 07:23 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
Of course it was the Leave people who won, so it is so easy to blame everything on them.

Please. I live in the UK. I have been involved as a Labour party member in politics for nearly 50 years. Believe me, the Leave campaign have, and will have in the coming years, a LOT to be blamed for.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 23 Oct, 2016 07:42 am
@contrex,
The Leave campaign - certainly.

What often is forgotten (in my opininion), is that 48.1% of those voting in the referendum wanted to remain in the EU. (62.0% in Scotland, 55.8% in NI, 47.5% in Wales and 46.6% in England.)
0 Replies

saab

Sun 23 Oct, 2016 09:03 am
@contrex,
Of course you can blame the Leave campaign.
But what did cause the campaign is a lot of the EU polticians who did not want to listen to people.
Close to half of the British people did not want to leave EU and I think it is arrogant of the EU for wanting such a hard Brexit. It is intolerable as so much else from EU politicians -
I am sad that UK is leaving EU.
EU needs UK.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 23 Oct, 2016 09:10 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
... I think it is arrogant of the EU for wanting such a hard Brexit. It is intolerable as so much else from EU politicians ...
How do you name the call for a "hard Brexit" as proposed by many Conservatives, most Government ministers, the PM and the majority of the UK's Brexit-negotiators?
saab

Sun 23 Oct, 2016 09:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
UK is leaving. The British can do what they want. It is their country
EU is loosing a partner - so EU should try to keep them in. EU represents 27 countries, but certainly does not give that impression.
EU wants to punish UK and scare other countries to even try to leave.
There is the difference.

Walter Hinteler

Sun 23 Oct, 2016 09:53 am
@saab,
Well, that would mean: 27 countries change their rules just to please one country which doesn't want to a member anymore ... and not in future as well.

It certainly might look for the UK like 'punishment'. (And it does obviously for you.) But they had signed these rules.

The EU can't keep any country that leaves.
The leave will start when article 50 is triggered by the UK. I haven't noticed that anyone seriously wants to reverse the result of the "Brexit-referendum". Or that a second referendum seriously is planned.
But perhaps it will happen.
saab

Sun 23 Oct, 2016 10:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I like to read the letters to the editor to Jyllands Posten.
A liberal Danish newspaper. Of course the letters are from folks of all walks of life.
The discussion is about the wish of a limited amount of foreigners
Just now there is one, which represents many. If EU wants to be punishing, hard and play dirty games - ok, but what will happen in the future?
here the translation
our politicians dare/can/will not because of old convensions and being afraid of Merkel and EU, they have already left the leading role of Denmark to Merkel.
Quote:
vores politikere tør/kan/vil ikke på grund af forælede konvensioner og af frygt Merkel og EU, de har faktisk allerede overladt ledelsen af Danmark til Merkel.