Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Walter Hinteler

Wed 28 Sep, 2016 05:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Sometimes it takes rather long to verify something.

I couldn't believe it, but Boris Johnson really wants to help Turkey join the EU – after he just campaigned for the UK to leave the EU on the basis that Turkey would be joining the EU in the near future.

The UK defence minister Michael Fallon said, the UK government will block EU efforts to enhance its security capabilities - the UK is leaving the EU, but say they want an enhanced security relationship with the EU after Brexit

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 28 Sep, 2016 06:40 am
UK government must disclose legal arguments on article 50 procedure
Quote:
The government has been forced by a senior judge to reveal secret legal arguments for refusing to let parliament decide when and how the UK should withdraw from the European Union.

In a preliminary victory for those challenging Theresa May’s power to trigger Brexit, a high court judge, Mr Justice Cranston, has swept aside restrictions on publishing official documents before the hearing on 13 October.
0 Replies

saab

Wed 28 Sep, 2016 07:13 am
Quote:
And too often new walls are being build in the heads of some.

...and factual border controls have come.
In one year the hate crimes against non western looking people went up 12% in Sweden
and during the same time hate crimes against Christian symbols went up 50%

Walter Hinteler

Wed 28 Sep, 2016 08:27 am
@saab,
Right on cue this Brexit-related report: 'Horrible spike' in hate crime linked to Brexit vote, Met police say
Quote:
Eastern Europeans ‘particularly targeted’, Met commissioner says, with more than 2,300 offences reported since referendum

A “horrible spike” in hate crime after Britain’s vote to leave the European Union was at least partly linked to the referendum, Britain’s most senior police officer has said.

Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, the Metropolitan police commissioner, told a hearing at London’s City Hall that hate crime was showing signs of decreasing after a sharp rise in June and July, but it had still not returned to pre-referendum levels.
[...]

georgeob1

Wed 28 Sep, 2016 11:34 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

So why was the Euro not embraced in the UK?

If a nation is a part of a union, it's either all in, or not at all.

Is there another EU member that held on to their original currency, Walter?

I don't think that is either a wise or practical view for a situation as broad, complex and involving so many differences in culture, economic structures and available human and physical resources as the nations of the EU. Instead it is a rigidity more apprporiate for a monolitic society well accustomed to authoritarianism.
saab

Wed 28 Sep, 2016 11:48 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Antisemetism has also become more common in Sweden - especially in Malmö.
In the 1970ies there were around 2000 Jews in Malmö and now there are 500.
They have moved away mostly to Gothenburg and Stockholm.
The hate crimes against Jews seldom come from rightwinged or neo nazis, but mostly from young men from Arabic countries.
It is a shame to see a country, where people lived and got along to develope into a country with hate crimes and mistrust in every direction.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 28 Sep, 2016 11:52 am
@georgeob1,
The ECU (European Currency Unit), Euro's "forerunner, had been used since 1979 as an internal accounting unit. (The ECU itself replaced the European Unit of Account [EUA].)

There weren't any legal coins or bank notes in these currencies- that changed with the Euro.
georgeob1

Wed 28 Sep, 2016 12:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I think I get yourpoint here, and if so I agree. There nis flexibility built into the European system and in my view it is time to focus on it. Europe and the nations within it are dealing now with several serious challenges that didn't exist a decade ago. These impact some nations more than cothers and alter some of the assumptions built in to various EU "principles". At such times rigid authoritarianism is a formula for failure.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 28 Sep, 2016 12:41 pm
@georgeob1,
I nearly can agree with you Wink

But I'm not sure, how such can work ... especially not with 27 different countries and changing opinions in each of them, not only after elections but due to 'public opinion'as well.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 28 Sep, 2016 01:15 pm
Article 50 has to be triggered in order to start the formal negotiations for Brexit - I don't think that there is any opposing view.

Until then the UK cannot negotiate any trade deals with the rest of the union and will not officially leave until exactly two years after it is triggered.

The EU-officials have the opinion that Brexit negotiations must favour the interests of the remaining members, not the departing country.

The department for Exiting the European Union and as well as that for International Trade "don’t have the infrastructure yet" they need for hiring experts.

The PM reportedly said she would trigger Article 50 without seeking the backing of Parliament.
(And that might be discussed at courts.)

The Foreign Secretary said, "You invoke Article 50 in the early part of next year [and] you have two years to pull it off. I don't actually think you need to spend the full two years."

... ... ... ... ... ...
Walter Hinteler

Wed 28 Sep, 2016 01:26 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Labour has ... ehem ... agreed on an interesting opinion:
"Unless the final settlement proves to be acceptable, then the option of retaining EU membership should be retained. The final settlement should therefore be subject to approval, through Parliament and potentially through a general election or referendum".

That does not clarify whether a vote should take place prior to Article 50 being triggered or instead once the 2-year exit process is underway in my opinion.
[And actually, that might change soon, too, considering what is going within Labour.]
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 28 Sep, 2016 05:28 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Well "nearly" is an improvement.
0 Replies

Builder

Wed 28 Sep, 2016 06:12 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
You can't abolish century old boundaries.

True that. Australians are hugely parochial, and despite what some think, there's no cohesiveness with our indigenous peoples.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 28 Sep, 2016 07:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

You can't abolish century old boundaries.

Is that really true?? My strong imprerssion is that Europe has been doing that relentlessly ever since the 30 years War.
Builder

Wed 28 Sep, 2016 07:53 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Is that really true??

The South with rise again?

Many still believe it will.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 29 Sep, 2016 06:31 am
MPs are applying for Irish passports after Brexit
A few MPs and peers are applying for Irish passports in the hope that they can retain EU citizenship after the UK leaves the European Union.
That makes a 'nice' headline.

But a couple of 'normal' citizens are applying for an Irish-passport as well:
Quote:
British applications for Irish passports at the Irish Embassy in London doubled in August, to 6,710. Applications also rose in Northern Ireland by 80 per cent.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 29 Sep, 2016 06:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Liam Fox looks to WTO in hint at 'hard Brexit' stance
Quote:
Liam Fox has hailed the opportunity for Britain to become a fully independent member of the World Trade Organisation after leaving the EU, indicating that he appears to favour a “hard Brexit”.

In a major speech, the trade secretary said Brexit was a “golden opportunity” for the UK to trade with the rest of the world, particularly developing markets.

His intervention comes amid a debate about whether the UK should push for a “soft Brexit”, in which the UK would retain as much access as possible to the single market but have to continue to allow the free movement of people, or a “hard Brexit”, which would see the UK out of the single market, and so trading under WTO rules and tariffs, but able to place curbs on free movement.

A Bloomberg analysis of the responses of European countries suggests that the likelihood of Britain facing a “hard Brexit” is increasing. Almost all the countries stressed the importance of the UK retaining free movement if it wanted to continue to enjoy the benefits of the single market.

Theresa May has insisted a bespoke agreement for Britain is possible, claiming other EU leaders “will give us a deal”.

However, Fox appeared to be leaning more towards the option of trading on WTO terms, rather than having to comply with EU trade rules.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 29 Sep, 2016 08:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
What a delicious irony ! My parents and grandparents, all Irish Nationalists and some serious Anglophobes, would be delighted at the prospect of turning them down. I, however, am much more tolerant.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 29 Sep, 2016 09:26 am
The UK will be hauled before the European court of justice for failing to provide safe habitats for harbour porpoises according to a press release.

Seems, they don’t really want more European protected areas because of Brexit but they haven’t exited yet ...
Walter Hinteler

Fri 30 Sep, 2016 02:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Nissan demands Brexit compensation for new UK investment
Quote:
Nissan wants Britain to pledge compensation for any tax barriers resulting from its decision to leave the European Union, or the Japanese automaker could scrap a potential new investment in the UK’s biggest car plant.

Remarks made by Carlos Ghosn, Nissan’s chief executive, reflect growing concern among global carmakers that Britain could be heading towards a so-called “hard Brexit”, which would leave them paying tariffs to export UK-assembled cars to EU markets.

Nissan, which builds about a third of Britain’s total car output at its plant in Sunderland, is due to decide early next year on where to build its next Qashqai sport utility vehicle.
... ... ...