Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Builder

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 05:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Hey Walter, I'm hearing that the Deutsche bank is having a rather tumultuous time of it in Germany and elsewhere. Branches closing, et al.

Walter Hinteler

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 05:34 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
Hey Walter, I'm hearing that the Deutsche bank is having a rather tumultuous time of it in Germany and elsewhere. Branches closing, et al.
Since years. Why do you that this is Brexit related?

(Local "Sparkassen" [Savings Banks] and "Volksbanken" [People's Bank institutes] closed and will close even more, up to 80% of their branches. [There are still nearly 1,800 of those independent institutions, having none to dozens of branches.])
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 08:34 am
In her today's and first Prime Minister’s Questions. PM May said that Scotland can't stay in both the UK and the EU.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 12:19 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Meanwhile, in Berlin, at the press conference ...
Quote:
Theresa May said Britain would not ask to leave the European Union before the end of 2016 in order to plan a "sensible and orderly departure".

"All of us will need time to prepare for these negotiations and the United Kingdom will not invoke Article 50 until our objectives are clear. "

"That's why I have said already- this will not happen before the end of this year. I understand this timescale will not please everyone but I think it is important to provide clarity on that now."

"We should strive for a solution which respects the decision of British voters, but also respects the interests of our European partners."

Source
lmur

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 05:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
All this uncertainty...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36864273
Walter Hinteler

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 05:38 am
@lmur,
Besides that, there's the ongoing shoe-battle between Scotland and the UK as well ...

http://i67.tinypic.com/4fx2dh.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 08:21 am
Like Merkel yesterday, Hollande told PM May today that there is no access to the single market without accepting all 'four freedoms' (movement of goods, capital, services and people).
saab

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 09:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Why do we not hear from an EU speaksperson?
Why do Merkel and Hollande speak for EU and all the other countries?
Can´t those two shut up once in a while and let EU - Juncker or someone else - tell what the EU countries think?
Walter Hinteler

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 09:25 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

Why do we not hear from an EU speaksperson?
Why do Merkel and Hollande speak for EU and all the other countries?
a) why should we? Article 50 isn't triggered yet!
b) you must ask PM May, why she visited Germany and France at first.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 09:27 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
Can´t those two shut up once in a while and let EU - Juncker or someone else - tell what the EU countries think?
Don't you think it to be unpolite not to respond the questions posed during the first visit to a foreign country by the British PM? I really wonder what your reaction had been, if only May had addressed this and both Hollande and Merkel had been quiet.
saab

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 09:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
OK PM May met Merkel and Hollande. You are right...still we hear far too little about the opinions in other countries. First we hear what Merkel thinks and then Hollande and often that is it.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 09:40 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
t...still we hear far too little about the opinions in other countries. First we hear what Merkel thinks and then Hollande and often that is it.
I don't know which EU-countries May wants to visit next.
But perhaps, really leaders of the other countries should have invited themselves and joined the press conferences in Berlin and Paris.
saab

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 09:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Maybe M and H should have invited the others or at least some of them.
ehBeth

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 09:54 am
@saab,
Why?

Really, why?

Other world leaders don't invite others to meetings like that.

I get that the EU little guys are feeling their littleness. Canada feels it every day sitting next to the American elephant.

Sometimes I think being in the EU has given some countries feelings of importance/value that they just don't have. I'm not for the EU but likely for the opposite reasons of many member citizens.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 10:00 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
Maybe M and H should have invited the others or at least some of them.
If the leader of a foreign country makes his first visit to Sweden or Denmark - do these countries invite others?
I do think this to be a rather strange idea.

Here, even ambassadors aren't invited, generally at least, or there's a "party" for the diplomatic corps.
(NB: PM May visited Germany and then France as first foreign countries since becoming PM - she wasn't invited!)
saab

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 10:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
OK, I admit I do not know how to behave in political circles.
Still I would prefer a spokesperson from EU to sometimes say things before Merkel comes with her opinions. regarding EU.
saab

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 10:57 am
@ehBeth,
Why...ja why? There are 28 countries in EU. EU has representatives and spokepersons and still Merkel seems to be on the scene all the time either alone or with Hollande.
Why do you refer to the Eurozone? Out of 28 countries 19 are in the eurozone.
Sweden and Denmark are not in and are more than pleased not to be.
UK is not in. I do not think they feel their littleness because of the Eurozone.
The Euro has somehow helped to ruin the economy in southern Europe.
EU is a bombastic union which try to tell all Europeans to be the same.
EU tells us to drive so we have clean air. Themselves move between Brussels and Strassburg once a month - 5500 employed and 1700 assistent.Imagen all the papers and things they drag back and forth.
They came up with laws regarding what size strawberries had to have and other fruit and vegetables.
25% of all harvest had to be thrown out. The law had to be changed.
The last ten years EU has forced thrugh 18.000 new laws, which should all
fit Lappland as well as Greek islands.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 11:38 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
Still I would prefer a spokesperson from EU to sometimes say things before Merkel comes with her opinions. regarding EU.
Sometimes, like here just now, I really can't understand your opinion at all.

The new Prime Minister of the UK makes her first visit to foreign country. She chooses Germany, and it's her choice of topics. She answered questions at the press conference as does the person whonm she visited, the German chancellor.

I mean, who are you to suggest what topics should be discussed between those two? Why should anyone else be engaged in these talks?

What has the EU to do with bi-lateral talks between two independent countries?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 11:44 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

Why...ja why? There are 28 countries in EU.

Mrs. May was not visiting the EU.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 11:54 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

saab wrote:

Why...ja why? There are 28 countries in EU.

Mrs. May was not visiting the EU.

Besides that: it was HER decision to visit Germany first and then France. So why not blame her?
I think, we just should accept it as we have to accept the vote in the referendum.