Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

livinglava

Fri 31 May, 2019 10:06 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I hadn't thought much about that aspect of things, but it's true that the Armenians are (in my view) a bit like the Greeks - they don't like anyone, even themselves.

It's amazing how far you can let your minds go with these collective stereotypes of groups having minds like individuals.

Everyone in the world likes some individuals and doesn't like others. No one in the world likes or hates other individuals just because of their collective/national/ethnic identity, at least not if they allow themselves to look beyond their own stereotype that they project onto the individual before getting to know them.
georgeob1

Fri 31 May, 2019 10:12 am
@livinglava,
Well, it was indeed an obvious overstatement of the facts and a stereotype to boot. It was also a lighthearted effort to characterize a widespread and observable trait.

Get over it.
livinglava

Fri 31 May, 2019 10:39 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Well, it was indeed an obvious overstatement of the facts and a stereotype to boot. It was also a lighthearted effort to characterize a widespread and observable trait.

Get over it.

I agree that there are widespread and observable patterns of behavior, which need not translate into every single individual behaving the same way to be recognized as patterns.

I don't agree that anyone should 'get over' the application of stereotypes and collectivist thinking, because it is a fundamental cause of inhumanity among humans.
georgeob1

Fri 31 May, 2019 10:47 am
@livinglava,
I don't believe that lighthearted humor is a significant contributor to the sufferings of humanity. Perhaps you do.
livinglava

Fri 31 May, 2019 10:48 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I don't believe that lighthearted humor is a significant contributor to the sufferings of humanity. Perhaps you do.

You don't think racist humor causes suffering and promotes discrimination?
georgeob1

Fri 31 May, 2019 11:12 am
@livinglava,
Not nearly as much as do the ponderous group prejudgments such as you are making here.
livinglava

Fri 31 May, 2019 11:16 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Not nearly as much as do the ponderous group prejudgments such as you are making here.

If you are offended by "ponderous group prejudgments" you are attributing to me here and now, why would you think racist humor is any less offensive/hurtful?
georgeob1

Fri 31 May, 2019 11:18 am
@livinglava,
I'm not offended at all. Stupid human behavior is simply part of the background noise.
livinglava

Fri 31 May, 2019 11:25 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I'm not offended at all. Stupid human behavior is simply part of the background noise.

You're not making sense. You said, "not nearly as much as do the ponderous group prejudgments such as you are making here. "

in respond to my question, "You don't think racist humor causes suffering and promotes discrimination?"

So you implied that the "ponderous group prejudgments" you attributed to me were a great deal more hurtful than the racist humor you are defending.

But now you're saying you just accept them as "background noise."

So which is it, 'background noise,' or more hurtful?
Walter Hinteler

Fri 31 May, 2019 11:05 pm
Donald Trump has backs Boris Johnson to be the next prime minister (he also called Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, "nasty", in the interview with the Sun) while Nigel Farage said he has been “banned” from meeting the US president.

Johnson is the favourite among party members, but will face competition from as many as 20 rivals and may not make it to the shortlist of two selected by Conservative MPs: moderate Tories alarmed at the prospect of him leading the country to a no-deal Brexit rapidly launched a "Stop Boris" campaign.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 1 Jun, 2019 12:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The United States wants Britain to leave the European Union as it would strengthen the NATO military alliance and show respect for the result of 2016’s referendum, U.S. National Security Advisor John Bolton said in an interview published on Friday.

John Bolton interview: Brexit is a 'triumph of democracy' that will boost UK on world stage
Walter Hinteler

Sat 1 Jun, 2019 12:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
https://i.imgur.com/M28hSGU.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Sat 1 Jun, 2019 12:14 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Dozens of Brexit Party supporters boast of joining Tory party to help elect a Brexiteer leader:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/brexit-party-conservatives-join-tories-leadership-contest-nigel-farage-a8940011.html][b]Brexit Party supporters joining Conservatives to vote for anti-EU leadership candidates, analysis reveals[/b]
Quote:
Brexit Party supporters are flocking to join the Conservative Party to help elect the next prime minister, new analysis has revealed.

A study of social media posts found dozens of supporters of Nigel Farage’s party boasting that they had joined the Conservatives to support Eurosceptic leadership candidates.

They include people who had previously been reported to the Conservative Party for alleged Islamophobia, including one who endorsed the idea of “a total ban on Muslim immigration” and another who shared a joke about Muslims being wiped out in America.

The dossier, compiled by the People’s Vote campaign and seen by The Independent, revealed dozens of Facebook posts from Brexit Party supporters who had successfully signed up to join the Conservatives.

A YouGov poll last week found that 59 per cent of current Tory members voted for Mr Farage’s party in last month’s European Parliament elections.

But the revelation that Brexit Party supporters are actively signing up as Conservative members to vote in the leadership contest is likely to fuel fears of “entryism” – an issue that has already been raised by several prominent Tory MPs.

Conservative Party rules state that members must have been in the party for at least three months to be eligible to vote, but many Brexit Party supporters claimed they had signed up for Tory membership months ago in anticipation of a leadership contest.

One wrote on Eurosceptic ringleader Jacob Rees-Mogg’s Facebook page: “I joined so I could vote when the time came.”

Another said they had signed up “just to be able to have a voice in who I want as next leader”. One said: “I joined the Conservative Party to get rid of May and her cronies.”

Phillip Lee, the former justice minister and a supporter of the campaign for a second referendum, told The Independent: “I have long since feared that some are joining [the Conservatives] now at the instigation of rivals now who do not have either our party’s interests or those of our country at heart. This dossier makes disturbing reading for all of us who love the Conservative Party.

“Our party members, most of whom remain some of the most sensible and decent people in Britain, will have the chance to pick not only our next leader but our next prime minister. It is vital that we choose someone who represents our party’s great traditions, who will fight for business and families, not the extreme and entryist agenda of the narrow nationalists behind Nigel Farage.”
Walter Hinteler

Sat 1 Jun, 2019 11:03 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Trump now made his second extraordinary intervention in British politics within a week ahead of state visit when he called on Britain to leave the European Union without a deal if Brussels refuses to meet its demands, and urged the UK government to send Nigel Farage into the negotiations.

Sunday Times: Donald Trump interview: send in Nigel Farage and go for no-deal Brexit, says president
Quote:
Donald Trump today calls on Britain to send Nigel Farage to negotiate with Brussels and pursue a no-deal Brexit if the EU refuses to give Britain what it wants.

In an interview with The Sunday Times ahead of his state visit to the UK this week, the American president said the next prime minister should refuse to pay the £39bn Brexit divorce bill and “walk away” if Brussels does not bow to Britain’s demands.

Trump said that it was not too late for Britain to follow his advice and “sue” the EU to give Britain greater “ammunition” in the talks.

And he vowed to “go all out” to secure a free trade deal between Britain and America within months of Brexit taking place to make up for lost trade with the EU.

The president is due to meet the Queen tomorrow, enjoy a state banquet, hold talks with Theresa May and attend D-Day commemorations in Portsmouth before leaving on Wednesday evening for further ceremonies in France.

But in a dramatic break with diplomatic convention he launched a controversial foray into British politics, calling on the government to stop delaying Brexit and signalling that the “excellent” Boris Johnson should be prime minister.
[...]
In a move that will unnerve even those Conservative contenders who want a hard Brexit, Trump said it was “a mistake” for the Tories not to involve Farage, the Brexit Party leader, in the negotiations and that his success in the recent European elections meant he had earned his place.

“I like Nigel a lot. He has a lot to offer,” Trump said. “He is a very smart person. They won’t bring him in. Think how well they would do if they did. They just haven’t figured that out yet.”

The president said Britain should also withhold the £39bn payment, around $50bn, to gain leverage. “If I were them I wouldn’t pay $50bn,” he said. “That is me. I would not pay, that is a tremendous number.”
... ... ...

Walter Hinteler

Sun 2 Jun, 2019 06:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
https://i.imgur.com/Hxhp4Io.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Sun 2 Jun, 2019 11:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The US-American view about the period after Brexit might not please many UK-citizens:
Quote:
Donald Trump's British envoy has sparked fury with claims that access to the NHS would be "on the table" in post-Brexit trade deal with the US.

Woody Johnson, the US ambassador to the UK, said the "entire economy" would be included in transatlantic negotiations, which could include allowing American private firms to bid for NHS contracts.

In an interview ahead of Mr Trump's state visit, Mr Johnson said the US was already "looking at all the components of the deal and trying to get everything lined up so when the time comes we’re ready to go".

Asked if healthcare would be part of the deal, he told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show: "I think probably the entire economy, in a trade deal all things that are traded will be on the table."
The Independent
Walter Hinteler

Tue 4 Jun, 2019 12:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Whatever Trump says, nothing has materially changed: much/all will obviously depend on who becomes the the next Conservative leader and PM.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 4 Jun, 2019 12:00 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - Donald Trump believes in Brexit but is concerned about how long it is taking, Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage said after meeting the U.S. president on Tuesday during his three-day trip to Britain.

“(Trump) absolutely believes in Brexit, thinks it’s the right thing for the country to do, and he’s concerned that it seems to be taking a very long time,” Farage said on his LBC radio show.
Reuters
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 4 Jun, 2019 12:03 pm
@livinglava,
Apparently you have a lot of time on your hands to make so much out of nothing.

Don't count on me to play your game.
livinglava

Tue 4 Jun, 2019 12:15 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Apparently you have a lot of time on your hands to make so much out of nothing.

Don't count on me to play your game.

Lol. I had forgotten about the post you are now responding to.

There was no game. You failed to make a clear statement so I asked you to clarify. I don't think you want to clarify, because that would require you to accurately reflect on your position instead of just mindlessly arguing against me.
0 Replies