Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

georgeob1

Fri 21 Sep, 2018 09:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I was speaking on a personal level. As I recall PM May was not on the side of BREXIT during the British vote to leave. It appears she is (perhaps ineptly) making a good effort to bring about the decision of the British electorate, which, to my knowledge, is still supported by a majority of British voters.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 21 Sep, 2018 09:51 am
https://www.businessinsider.com/this-poll-shows-support-for-brexit-is-collapsing-2018-9

Quote:
Voters back remaining in the EU by 54% to 46%, according to new polling showing an 8 point lead for stopping Brexit.

The study by polling guru John Curtice found that younger voters who backed leave in 2016 would likely swing a new vote in favour of Remain.

Campaign groups MPs are stepping up pressure on the Conservatives and Labour to call for a "People's Vote" on the final Brexit deal.

Quote:
The news comes as campaign groups and backbench MPs continue to push Theresa May for a "People's Vote" which hands voters the chance to accept or reject any deal the prime minister brings back from Brussels.

On Tuesday the GMB union became the latest Labour-affiliated union to back the campaign.

In a statement, general secretary Tim Roache said: "As trade unionists, when we negotiate a pay deal with an employer, we go back to our members and ask them if they're happy with it. Whether they want to accept or reject it.

"That's what people deserve now, because the promises that were made during the referendum campaign are simply not the reality we are facing."

Roache added that his members "did not vote for economic chaos or to put jobs and hard won rights on the line. That's why GMB supports your right to decide what sort of Brexit, is the right Brexit. That's why we support a public vote on the final deal."

The Labour party will be under pressure at its upcoming conference to shift position to explicitly back a second referendum, but has so far resisted attempts to make it official party policy.
Blickers

Fri 21 Sep, 2018 09:55 am
@ehBeth,
I think what Labor will do will be to try to tie a reject vote of the deal May reaches with a Remain vote in the EU. In other words, finagle it so that a rejection of May's Brexit deal equals a vote to Remain. It looks like that might be Labor's strategy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 21 Sep, 2018 09:55 am
https://whatukthinks.org/eu/opinion-polls/uk-poll-results/

from that whole series of polls, a subset including

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/in-highsight-do-you-think-britain-was-right-or-wrong-to-vote-to-leave-the-eu/

Quote:
In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the EU?
Field work dates: 1 August 2016 - 13 September 2018
Data from: Great Britain, United Kingdom
Results from: 87 polls

looks like the switch happened around July 2017
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 21 Sep, 2018 09:59 am
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/20/labour-could-win-15m-more-votes-by-backing-brexit-referendum

Quote:

He said: “Of the respondents who currently support Labour and voted leave in the Brexit referendum, only 6% put Brexit at the top of their concerns and say they would not, or be less likely to, vote Labour if the party backed a popular vote. This is just 2% of all Labour supporters, or just over 200,000 voters in all.

“In other words, the non-Labour voters that the party could win over outnumber the Labour voters that the party risks losing by almost nine to one.”

Labour’s official policy on a second Brexit referendum is to not completely rule it out, but to argue strongly that a better option would be to hold a general election, allowing the chance for a Jeremy Corbyn-led government to negotiate a departure.

The poll also found 55% to 45% backing for a second referendum, with 50% of those asked identifying Brexit as the biggest issue facing parliament. Perhaps more expected was the 84% of respondents who described the Brexit negotiations so far as a mess.
0 Replies

bosstownmike

Fri 21 Sep, 2018 11:10 pm
@Lash,
Why should Britain be allowed out of the EU if Australia hasn't been allowed her independence?
Olivier5

Sat 22 Sep, 2018 02:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Respect is earned, Mathilda, especially in the tough world of politics. Asking for it as a right is to look weak and needy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 22 Sep, 2018 12:33 pm
@bosstownmike,
Quote:
Why should Britain be allowed out of the EU if Australia hasn't been allowed her independence?

What?
Ben Reimers
Ben Reimers, An Australian.
Answered Oct 4, 2014
Originally Answered: Why is Australia not a sovereign country?
We are:

A sovereign state is a nonphysical juridical entity of the international legal system that is represented by one centralized government that has supreme independent authority over a geographic area. International law defines sovereign states as having a permanent population, defined territory, one government, and the capacity to enter into relations with other sovereign states.[1] It is also normally understood to be a state that is neither dependent on nor subject to any other power or state.[2]

The only arguable part of the above definition in relation to Australia is the last sentence. We are certainly not dependent on Britain, so that's out. And while we may still symbolically be linked to the monarchy, the monarchy has no bearing on us in fact (the queen and Britain do not and really cannot tell us what to do).

By any reasonable interpretation of the definition, we are a sovereign state. The other member states of the UN agree with this reasonable interpretation.
2.3k Views · View Upvoters
Upvote

Walter Hinteler

Sun 23 Sep, 2018 04:48 am
Downing Street last night denied it was planning for an election to save her leadership after the EU's dramatic slapdown of her Chequers plan.
But senior members of the Prime Minister's political team were "war gaming" a November poll in the wake of her Brexit humiliation in Salzburg, according to the Sunday Times.

Sunday Times report
Walter Hinteler

Sun 23 Sep, 2018 05:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Brexit secretary Dominic Raab has dismissed claims Theresa May could call a snap autumn general election to save her Brexit plans as he played down the chances of the government pivoting towards a Canada-style free trade deal.
The cabinet minister said it was “for the birds” to suggest the prime minister could go to the country after Brussels rejected her Chequers proposals at a summit in Salzburg last week. “It’s not going to happen,” he said on Sunday.

Report @ The Observer/The Guardian
Setanta

Sun 23 Sep, 2018 05:19 am
@cicerone imposter,
I don't know that I can entirely agree with Mr. Reimers. The 1975 dismissal of the Australian prime minister, Gough Whitlam, by the Governor General, Sir John Kerr, throws into doubt Mr. Reimers' contention that: "(the queen and Britain do not and really cannot tell us what to do).
najmelliw

Sun 23 Sep, 2018 05:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It seems perfectly clear to me they won't be able to mash out a satisfying Brexit deal before the deadline. There is simply too much dissent internally about everything that needs to be done, and even if the English government does manage to lock down a Brexit strategy every faction within it's own country can more or less agree with, it still has to be agreed upon by the EU, and frankly, I highly doubt that any plan that finds favor with all factions in Britain will be amenable enough to the EU to agree to.

Also, I think Theresa May has had an utterly thankless job of trying to help the country manage a decent Brexit. In my opinion the leaders of UKIP should have headed up this process. It was their idea after all. But they all 'chickened out' after the referendum was done.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 23 Sep, 2018 05:27 am
@Setanta,
The three Commonwealth member states in Europe (Cyprus, Malta and the United Kingdom) are all EU-members.
Setanta

Sun 23 Sep, 2018 06:40 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Which has what to do with Mr. Reimers' contention that the Brits cannot tell Australia what to to?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 23 Sep, 2018 10:43 am
@cicerone imposter,
Is Australia a sovereign country or not? If yes, then why? - Quora
https://www.quora.com/Is-Australia-a-sovereign-country-or-not-If-yes-then-why
Mar 18, 2015 - Australia has been a sovereign nation and de jure independent from the United Kingdom since at least 1986, if not much earlier (depends on how you define 'independent' and 'sovereign', but since 1986 the UK has been a foreign power as far as the Australian constitution is concerned, and I think the UK is the only ...

Independent States of the World. https://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/states.htm

Australia * Commonwealth of Australia AU Canberra
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 23 Sep, 2018 01:33 pm
Quora is, of course, a dubious source. I used to post there, until I got pissed off at the sniping of the moderators. One thing I noticed was how rarely anyone provided citations of reputable, scholarly works in support of their posts.

The question is whether or not the Governor General, who is a de facto viceroy, and the representative of the monarch's authority, can still dismiss a prime minister. If the answer is yes, then Mr. Reimers' claim that the Brits cannot interfere in Australia's affairs is false.
cicerone imposter

Sun 23 Sep, 2018 02:44 pm
@Setanta,
That's the reason why I also posted this. https://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/states.htm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 23 Sep, 2018 04:46 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
The question is whether or not the Governor General, who is a de facto viceroy, and the representative of the monarch's authority, can still dismiss a prime minister. If the answer is yes, then Mr. Reimers' claim that the Brits cannot interfere in Australia's affairs is false.

https://www.gg.gov.au/governor-generals-role

Quote:
, there are some powers which the Governor-General may, in certain circumstances, exercise without – or contrary to – ministerial advice. These are known as the reserve powers. While the reserve powers are not codified as such, they are generally agreed to at least include:

The power to appoint a Prime Minister if an election has resulted in a ‘hung parliament’;

The power to dismiss a Prime Minister where he or she has lost the confidence of the Parliament;

The power to dismiss a Prime Minister or Minister when he or she is acting unlawfully; and

The power to refuse to dissolve the House of Representatives despite a request from the Prime Minister.

don't know if it would be acceptable to Australians if a GG did any of these things , but the reserve powers exist
Olivier5

Mon 24 Sep, 2018 06:53 am
@ehBeth,
The same applies to Canada, no? You guys too have a governor general.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 24 Sep, 2018 06:58 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
You guys too have a governor general.
As any other of the Commonwealth realms.