Clinicians failed to prevent suicide attempt

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 09:25 pm
I was discharged from my local hospital's psychiatric unit after a 10 day stay for psychosis. I come out and begin to feel very depressed; I cry, self-esteem drops to the lowest ever, hopeless, don't get out of bed, read suicide methods, think frequently about suicide, etc. I told my therapist about my depression but she didn't take it seriously and told me it's just seasonal depression. The only thing she cared about is whether I'd act on my thoughts. I told her no because I wasn't feeling like I had the courage to do it. When I saw the psychiatrist he asked me why I had the thoughts and then told me to take myself to the hospital if I feel l I will act. Well, that didn't happen because I wanted to kill myself, not save myself. Why would I take myself to the hospital in this state? Then one day I told my therapist I had strong suicidal thoughts and all she does is act silent and then tell me she won't be seeing me because there isn't enough therapists. What the hell? So shortly after, a couple weeks, I seriously attempt suicide but fail. Then I attempt suicide again and almost die. The second one left me in the hospital with severe muscle loss and pressure injuries in many places of my body. I am now deformed and have a permanent ulnar nerve damage which resulted in atrophied left hand.

Do I have any basis to sue the practice my psychiatrist and therapist are with, or not? I've had all the signs I was very depressed and having told them I was reading suicide methods could it not be more clear that I will attempt suicide? I've had several recent hospitalizations for psychosis and paranoid schizophrenia. Shouldn't the doctor and/or therapist have conducted a comprehensive, humane, and personal evaluation of suicidal risk for me?

Consider reading this too:
First, therapists tend to feel uncomfortable with the subject; they find it difficult to explore and investigate suicidal risk: "We don't want to hear about it. We discount it. But any indication of risk or intention must be addressed." Second, we must appreciate that each client is a unique person: "Each person becomes suicidal in his or her own framework. The person's point of view is crucial." Third, we tend to forget the preventive factors: "Clinicians run scared at the thought of suicide. They fail to recognize the true resources."

Conduct a comprehensive evaluation of the patient and his or her suicide risk. Ask about:
Consider hospitalizing at-risk patients. If you decide against hospitalization, provide a comprehensive safety plan. Implement additional anti-suicide precautions, such as more-intensive outpatient therapy or involving family members in treatment.
Document suicide risk assessment
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 940 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Amoh5

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 01:04 am
@Dmitriy1111,
Hi Dmitriy, that is a shocking experience from so-called Clinicians. There must be an association whom these practioners have to comply to. You are within your rights to make a complaint to this association to make them aware of these individuals. Like many other professions there are always malpracticing individuals that neglect compliancies and obligations due to heavy workloads, schedules or personal inadequacies. I think it is also a responsiblity of the patient to report these individuals so that it won't happen to other innoccent people. I wish you all the best of wellness for the new year, and God bless you.
jespah

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 07:01 am
@Dmitriy1111,
If you have questions about whether you've got a legal case, go to a lawyer in your area and get an initial consultation.
0 Replies

Shineseyal

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2016 03:40 am
@Amoh5,
It's shocking
Amoh5

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 08:40 pm
@Shineseyal,
Not the electric type shocking for mental illness in the past thank God!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 08:47 pm
@Dmitriy1111,
Sure. You can always sue someone for what you do yourself.
0 Replies