2) Does "one" refer to "a bizarre double standard"?

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 10:55 am
1) Does "they" refer to "answers"?
2) Does "one" refer to "a bizarre double standard"?

Context:

If we were to discover a new tribe in the Amazon tomorrow, there is not a
scientist alive who would assume a priori that these people must enjoy optimal physical health and material prosperity. Rather, we would ask questions about this tribe's average lifespan, daily calorie intake, the percentage of women dying in childbirth, the prevalence of infectious disease, the presence of material culture, etc. Such questions would have answers, and they would likely reveal that life in the Stone Age entails a few compromises. And yet news that these jolly people enjoy sacrificing their firstborn children to imaginary gods would prompt many (even most) anthropologists to say that this tribe was in possession of an alternate moral code every bit as valid and impervious to refutation as our own. However, the moment one draws the link between morality and well-being, one sees that this is tantamount to saying that the members of this tribe must be as fulfilled, psychologically and socially, as any people on earth. The disparity between how we think about physical health and mental/societal health reveals a bizarre double standard: one that is predicated on our not knowing!aor, rather, on our pretending not to know- anything at all about human well-being.

-Sam Harris
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,340 • Replies: 42

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 12:10 pm
Yes.
oristarA

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 12:41 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Thanks.
The author went on:
Of course, some anthropologists have refused to follow their colleagues over the cliff.

Does "over the cliff" mean "into this awkward situation"?
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 12:43 pm
That is correct.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 01:44 am
In addition, does "one that is predicated" mean " one that is affirmed"?
layman

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 02:07 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

In addition, does "one that is predicated" mean " one that is affirmed"?
Naw, it don't mean that, Oris. In this context "predicated on" means "based on," or "due to."
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 07:26 am
@oristarA,
The author went on:

Quote:
GOOD AND EVIL
There may be nothing more important than human cooperation. Whenever more pressing concerns seem to arise!alike the treat of a deadly pandemic, an asteroid impact, or some other global catastrophe!ahuan cooperation is the only remedy (if a remedy exists). Cooperation is the stuff of which meaningful human lives and viable societies are made. Consequently, few topics will be more relevant to a maturing science of human well-being.

Does "few topics will be more relevant to a maturing science of human well-being" mean "few topics will be more relevant than cooperation to a maturing science of human well-being"?

layman

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 02:15 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

The author went on:

Quote:
GOOD AND EVIL
There may be nothing more important than human cooperation. Whenever more pressing concerns seem to arise!alike the treat of a deadly pandemic, an asteroid impact, or some other global catastrophe!ahuan cooperation is the only remedy (if a remedy exists). Cooperation is the stuff of which meaningful human lives and viable societies are made. Consequently, few topics will be more relevant to a maturing science of human well-being.

Does "few topics will be more relevant to a maturing science of human well-being" mean "few topics will be more relevant than cooperation to a maturing science of human well-being"?

More or less, yeah. This isn't well phrased. Not sure where the heading "good and evil" is supposed to come into this. Me, I would rearrange the way you said it like this:

"few topics will be more relevant to a maturing science of human well-being than cooperation." For me, that makes it a little clearer, but it works either way, I guess.

oristarA

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 02:28 pm
@layman,
Thanks.

BTW, whose aggression in the following?

"beating me to the food or escaping aggression before me" means "beating so hard that I become the part of the food and the aggressors who beat me escape from me the victim"?

Quote:
Certain biological traits appear to have been shaped by, and to have further enhanced, the human capacity for cooperation. For instance, unlike the rest of the earth'screatures, including our fellow primates, the sclera of our eyes (the region surrounding the colored iris) is white and exposed. This makes the direction of the human gaze very easy to detect, allowing us to notice even the subtlest shifts in one another's visual
attention. The psychologist Michael Tomasello suggests the following adaptive logic: If I am, in effect, advertising the direction of my eyes, I must be in a social environment full of others who are not often inclined to take advantage of this to my detriment-by, say, beating me to the food or escaping aggression before me. Indeed, Imust be in a cooperative social environment in which others following the direction of my eyes somehow benefits me.
layman

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 02:38 pm
@oristarA,
Naw, Oris. He aint talkin about a "beating" in that sense. He means "getting there first," beating me to the goal, and that kind of beating.

If he was going to take advantage of me, he could, by watching where I'm looking, beat me to the prey I am pursuing. So, since I aint wearin sunglasses, I must be assuming that he will NOT exploit his observation of me to "outcompete" me.

The whole argument seems rather absurd to me, but that's what it appears to be.

As to your specific question of "whose aggression," he means something like this.

If a lion is coming at the crowd, that lion will, lets say, take the closest person he finds. This other guy might beat me to the escape. Again, lame argument, but...

In this case the "aggression" would be that of the lion, eh?
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 02:56 pm
@layman,
Quote:
The whole argument seems rather absurd to me

Sam Harris is a notorious wingnut.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 10:33 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Naw, Oris. He aint talkin about a "beating" in that sense. He means "getting there first," beating me to the goal, and that kind of beating.

If he was going to take advantage of me, he could, by watching where I'm looking, beat me to the prey I am pursuing. So, since I aint wearin sunglasses, I must be assuming that he will NOT exploit his observation of me to "outcompete" me.

The whole argument seems rather absurd to me, but that's what it appears to be.

As to your specific question of "whose aggression," he means something like this.

If a lion is coming at the crowd, that lion will, lets say, take the closest person he finds. This other guy might beat me to the escape. Again, lame argument, but...

Thank you Lay.
I've got the meaning of "beating" there. But still "excaping aggression before me" is a problem to me.
It sounds as if the author is saying that "the guy grabs my share of the food (beat me to the food) and then runs away from me to evade the responsibility for bringing detriment upon me." However, "escaping aggression before me" appears to have more in it. Any one cares to explain it in more detail?
layman

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 11:42 pm
@oristarA,
However, "escaping aggression before me" appears to have more in it. Any one cares to explain it in more detail?

Not sure what more you're looking for. I read "before me" as basically meaning "before I do." He could mean "aggression in front of me," too, I suppose.
oristarA

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 11:45 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

However, "escaping aggression before me" appears to have more in it. Any one cares to explain it in more detail?

Not sure what more you're looking for. I read "before me" as basically meaning "before I do." He could mean "aggression in front of me," too, I suppose.

The other guy made the aggression and then escaped before him (the author)?
Why not used "escaped from me"?
layman

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 12:59 am
@oristarA,
Quote:

Now we're on entirely different pages, Oris. Did you read what I said about the lion and aggression?
oristarA

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 06:48 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:

Now we're on entirely different pages, Oris. Did you read what I said about the lion and aggression?

Of course I thought I got it immediately:

Quote:

The aggression is made by the lion against the other guy (who's closest among the crowd to the beast, and so he runs away faster than I). Am I on the right track?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 02:21 pm
@layman,
Quote:

Yeah, Oris, you got it. But, since you did, I don't understand what you're asking here:
Quote:

The idea seems to be something like this: I'm looking north and see a lion--my face registers fear, anxiety, etc. You are, let's say, north of me, looking at my face, so you immediately take off running. You escape the lion by "reading" me, so maybe now I don't.

That's what I take the guy to be saying, although it doesn't make any real sense to me. Especially since he's trying to say I let you see my face because I know you will cooperate with me. ****, everybody's gunna run. How's he supposed to "cooperate?" By standing still and letting the lion get to him first? Heh, aint gunna happen.
oristarA

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 11:14 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, Oris, you got it. But, since you did, I don't understand what you're asking here:
Quote:

The idea seems to be something like this: I'm looking north and see a lion--my face registers fear, anxiety, etc. You are, let's say, north of me, looking at my face, so you immediately take off running. You escape the lion by "reading" me, so maybe now I don't.

That's what I take the guy to be saying, although it doesn't make any real sense to me. Especially since he's trying to say I let you see my face because I know you will cooperate with me. ****, everybody's gunna run. How's he supposed to "cooperate?" By standing still and letting the lion get to him first? Heh, aint gunna happen.

Now it is all crystal clear. Your grammatical analysis helped.
The author's argument is strong, however. I asked who made the aggression and you suggested a lion (that is where my grammatical misunderstanding arose. Because I misunderstood "beat" as "blow" in the first place while blowing is a behavior of aggression which led me to the confusion-"why an aggressor would escape from his victim"). Since his central point is the cooperation among human beings, Lay, or "Lay", a gallant warrior who's always braver than his followers, let's say, once shows fear because his foe is beyond him this time, his followers reading his fear escape the aggression, even before Lay, or "Lay", shouts "This foe is beyond any of you. RUN!" It is OBVIOUSLY a good example of being cooperative. Let's make it clearer: If Lay or "Lay" shouts "RUN!" and then his followers begin to run, then you will not deny that it is a cooperation; now, the evolution has made the followers able to read the message in Lay's eyes before his shouting, it is still a cooperation, isn't it?
Of course, Lay, or "Lay" will retreat too, not standing still at all.

Quote:
Certain biological traits appear to have been shaped by, and to have further enhanced, the human capacity for cooperation. For instance, unlike the rest of the earth'screatures, including our fellow primates, the sclera of our eyes (the region surrounding the colored iris) is white and exposed. This makes the direction of the human gaze very easy to detect, allowing us to notice even the subtlest shifts in one another's visual
attention. The psychologist Michael Tomasello suggests the following adaptive logic: If I am, in effect, advertising the direction of my eyes, I must be in a social environment full of others who are not often inclined to take advantage of this to my detriment-by, say, beating me to the food or escaping aggression before me. Indeed, Imust be in a cooperative social environment in which others following the direction of my eyes somehow benefits me.
layman

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 11:36 pm
@oristarA,
This is the suspect part, Oris:

Quote:
If I am, in effect, advertising the direction of my eyes, I must be in a social environment full of others full of others who are not often inclined to take advantage of this to my detriment...

He's basically saying that the reason we don't always wear sunglasses (to conceal the direction we are looking from others) is because we trust others to "cooperate" with us rather than exploit us.

"Advertisin the direction of my eyes?" I aint buyin it, sorry.

In a poker game, some guys wear sunglasses, to make sure nobody "reads" them when they look at their cards. Good poker players will NOT hide their "emotions." They will use their facial expressions to deceive the other players instead. Run a game on them, ya know?
layman

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 11:44 pm
There are, of course, options other than running:

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 2) Does "one" refer to "a bizarre double standard"?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 12:16:56