What sort of rock layer is this?

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 03:30 pm
I'm a total beginner in geology. I live in northern New Mexico. These are from a small road cut in the foothills of the Sangre de Cristo mountains near Santa Fe, NM. Is this some sort of hornblende schist? (My best guess.)

Here is a photobucket link with several photos of the layer ...

http://s650.photobucket.com/user/rocksonthebrain/library/?sort=3&page=1

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 03:59 pm
@rocksforbrains,
If you are certain that mid layer is limstone, the other layers could be anything. You need to learn how to place yourself in a reasonble geologic map sequence. The New Mexico Geo Survey has really good maps of the Sangre de Cristo s and they are a dogs breakfast of rock types and ages. If you get a map and then find your location wrt the area geology, then you can make more educated hypotheses.

The rock layers look more gneissic than schistose. and they do look dark (melanocratic) . The rock fractures and the layering ill be important to the overall location so keep your map by your side. Heres an old paper rom the NM annual field conference from bqck in 1966, the rock names may have been changed due to global tectonics (which was only being studied in the continental rocks).

When you post rocks , get closeups and put in a quarter or a pencil in the picture for scale
rocksforbrains

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 07:11 pm
@farmerman,
Thank you farmerman .... I don't see the paper but I'll do a better job in the future on the photos..... still learning!!
farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 08:36 pm
@rocksforbrains,
sorry. Heres the paper, its still referred to . When I was a kid my uncle, who was a part-time prospector when he wasnt teaching geology, was all over these hills looking for various deposits. I often accompanied him to the Sangre de Cristos

https://nmgs.nmt.edu/publications/guidebooks/downloads/17/17_p0056_p0065.pdf
ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 09:03 pm
@farmerman,
My uncle, who died when I was four, and only physically remember him showing me how to crank ice cream on the back porch where they stayed in Oklahoma for that x amount of time (he was high up in the tech area at Douglas in the early forties, Charlie Wilson the name, though being four, I dunno re details. I do know the head of Douglas came to my aunt's house by himself to talk with my aunt and mourn him one day).

Anyway, he was quite the explorer from what I heard. I have some of his rocks in my garage, but I doubt they are of any serious interest. Just that I like them still sitting there.

Never did take geology. I might have loved it.
0 Replies