Panama beach find identification

Nysurf

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 09:19 am
I live on the Pacific coast of Panama. The coast is entirely black sand beaches and basalt or lava flow formations.
While most of the lava formations are black basalt some are a deep red or green. All have quartz veins within them.

Walking the beach I come across tons of different types of rocks so wanted to get some type of idea of the minerals that make them up so I have a little better understanding of what it is I'm looking at.

Seeing if anyone could help me identify a few that I come across.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53482015@N05/?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,894 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Nysurf

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 09:55 am
@Nysurf,
Forgot to add, the rock in the 6th and last photo is a a cross section of the inside of the rocks in the first photo. Those I am most interested in figuring out, because of the character inside the stone. (Only hardness test I did for those was to see if a kitchen knife scratches it, which it doesn't)

The rounded greenish quartz looking rock, I am guessing might just be Quartz with copper?
dalehileman

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 01:00 pm
@Nysurf,
Ny, they're various forms of chalcedony, which probly you already knew. But thanks for those beautiful snapshots and let's hope we hear from Man
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 01:52 pm
@Nysurf,
pretty much as dale said.
The only thing worth more discussion is 3 and 4. They look like chrysocolla (or even copper carbonates). Chrysocolla is now considered a ROCK, not a mineral. ( A rock is just a mix of minerals).
Chrysocolla used to be called a hydrated copper aluminum silicate . Newest diffraction and structural work says that its a MIX of spertinite (copper hydroxide) and Chalcedony.

BFD, its pretty stuff
0 Replies