relieving colleagues of this responsibility?

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2016 01:54 am
Does "relieving colleagues of this responsibility" mean that "when a physician attempts suicide, his colleagues have responsibility to offer help; and now, this physician health program helps to relieve this responsibility"?

Context:

Physician Suicide
N Engl J Med 2005
In her Perspective article concerning physician suicide, Schernhammer (June 16 issue)1 states that “there are few interventions in place to help prevent suicide among physicians.” In fact, there are organized physician health programs currently available in virtually every area of the country. Many are branches of state medical societies, some are loosely affiliated with licensing boards, and a few are independent. Although originally these programs dealt primarily with issues of substance abuse, now to varying degrees they also involve the treatment of physicians with depression, disruptive behavior, and other problems. Such programs offer confidential treatment (consistent with state laws) and support over extended periods. To the extent that suicidal behavior or associated symptoms such as substance abuse, depression, or signs of excessive stress can be identified, help is available. A physician health program will intervene, rapidly if necessary, and offer treatment, relieving colleagues of this responsibility. Recognition of early warning signs and prompt referral to the local program for help may prevent the ultimate tragedy of suicide.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc051916
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,289 • Replies: 7
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2016 04:03 am
@oristarA,

yes.
oristarA

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2016 09:34 am
@McTag,
Thanks.
I'm surprised that Schernhammer would have made such mistake in NEJM, the most prestigious medical magazine in the world (an equivalent to Nature, the most influential science magazine on earth).
McTag

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2016 10:59 am
@oristarA,

Mistake? I don't see any mistake, if you ignore the fact that Americans can't spell programme.
oristarA

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2016 11:08 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Mistake? I don't see any mistake, if you ignore the fact that Americans can't spell programme.

Schernhammer said "few", while the author said "everywhere"!
Quote:
Schernhammer (June 16 issue)1 states that “there are few interventions in place to help prevent suicide among physicians.” In fact, there are organized physician health programs currently available in virtually every area of the country
McTag

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2016 01:43 pm
@oristarA,

I see what you mean.
I was concerning myself only with the sentence you highlighted.
Pardon.
0 Replies

sunmirosenberg

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2017 08:38 pm
@oristarA,
Relieving means, in this sense, filling in (substituting) for someone. The rest of the words show why the colleague(s) needed relief.
oristarA

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2017 02:54 am
@sunmirosenberg,
Cool.
0 Replies