The market crash of 2016

roger

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 01:33 am
@Blickers,
I won't put money into something I don't understand. Every time the price of oil increases, the Dow jumps up, and it isn't because demand is increasing overnight. I think I'll keep sitting on my *fortune for a while longer.

*There is no fortune.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 10:24 am
@Blickers,
That's what is important; how our economy is doing; not what the pundits say.
What's good about the US economy is the mix. It's not concentrated into just a few industries like many countries. Think macro.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 12:53 pm
Dow's up over 18,500. GDP rise is a little low, but lots of hiring. Think the GDP might have a good third quarter?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 02:48 pm
@Blickers,
That's hard to predict because of the volatility of all economies that cannot be predicted like Brexit. The world economies are always in flux based on many factors. Look what happened when the British pound lost some value. Tourism in the UK increased.
Professional economists disagree on most issues, because it's more an art than it is science.
0 Replies

glenmedved

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 09:08 pm
I found out. It was Jason Madeoff and David Sinsel. TYS.

The. End.

EDIT: SPREAD SPREAD SPREAD.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 10:20 pm
@Blickers,
The DOW is now at 17,888. I think it's going to go lower based on the election.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 11:21 pm
Markets hate uncertainty. The Market seems to like Hillary, so if she wins the Dow should like it very much.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2016 11:04 pm
@Blickers,
With the somewhat assurance that Hillary is going to win, the market ticked up over 300 points today. When the election is over tomorrow, and she wins big, I hope we see some more uptick.
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2016 11:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
intresting news in market segments too.
Pretty much agrees with the writers of Barron's

One thing about Barron's. Its never really led me to big scores, BUT, it has prevented me from making really stupid moves within segments and wrt my responses to downturns or shakeups in segments

I used to take advice from anybody that sounded like they knew about
what they were talking. Which was another dumb move. I used to subscribe to all kinds of those"investment letters and weekly reports", and payed big bucks for em. Started my Barrons subscription, and, under its advice, I tossed em all and never looked back. Most of those newsletter guys had no clue and might as well be picking horses
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2016 11:30 pm
@farmerman,
My opinion about investment advisers are, why are they still working for if they're that smart?
The best advise I read about many decades ago is that no one is more interested in your financial well being than yourself. Everybody else wants a piece of your pie.
After many years of study, I finally ended up with Vanguard funds. My return for YTD is 8.7% while bank interest is less than 2%.
Our investment balance has stayed the same over the past ten years even though I've withdrawn over $350,000 from our funds.
0 Replies