The market crash of 2016

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 10:59 am
@Blickers,
Plus it also provides a roof over one's head (or rent) whilst it appreciates.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 12:04 pm
@CalamityJane,
I agree. We paid $50 grand for our home in Silicon Valley, and it's now worth about $1.5 million. We live one block away from the hospital, and Apple is building their flying saucer shaped building not one mile from our home that's going to house over 12,000 workers. That's going to increase demand in our area.
Blickers

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 12:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I just decided I hate your guts. Evil or Very Mad
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 01:23 pm
@Blickers,
Since you hate my guts, if you ever visit in our area, I'd be glad to treat you to a meal and drinks.
Blickers

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 03:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
With your house only appreciating a mere three thousand percent, are you sure the cost won't break you? Laughing
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 03:11 pm
@Blickers,
Not really. We're going to Hawaii at the end of this month. Wink
Blickers

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 12:12 am
@cicerone imposter,
Dow's below 16,000. Pretty good economic stats for the US, though. Mostly reactions to China.
Blickers

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2016 10:55 am
@Blickers,
Well, the Dow's back below 16,000 again, and the snow's falling to add to the general tenor of gloom & doom. What I don't get is, when the price of oil goes UP, the economy goes bad, because oil affects the cost of manufacturing. But now the price of oil is going DOWN, and that's also supposed to be bad, because they are afraid the global economy needs less oil because people are too broke to buy anything. Whatever happened to the idea that cheaper oil will make the cost of manufacturing anything cheaper, leading to more things bought, therefore more jobs created to make those things that are being bought, leading to higher GDPs and higher employment rates?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 05:48 pm
@farmerman,
I remember selling 34% or 43% when it was 14,000, then buying it back when was 8,000+. Our investment balance today is healthy enough that we don't have money worries.

I always believed in managing our own money, because investment advisors work on commission which is a conflict of interest. Also, why are they working as investment advisors rather than retired if they're so good.

Here's another tidbit that you might find interesting. We've lived conservatively for most of our life even though we do have money in investments and banks. For the very first time this year, my wife and I flew first class to Hawaii. Now, that's what I call 'living the good life.'

Even if our son only inherits the house, it's worth more than $1.5 mill. From Zillow:
OFF MARKET
Zestimate®: $1,673,340
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 06:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
After thinking about it, I believe it was 34% (one-third) sounds right.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 07:53 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Well, the Dow's back below 16,000 again

Back over 17,000 again.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 07:57 pm
@engineer,
U.S. Stocks
See After-Hours Trading Data as of 5:16pm ET
Monday’s Close:
Dow+67.18 17,073.95........ Nasdaq 4,708.25 ...... S&P 2,001

I don't care or watch the daily ups and downs of the stock market, because I'm in it for the long term.
Blickers

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 12:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Just for the heck of it-the market is poised to break 18,000 again. And so it goes.
engineer

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 01:28 pm
@Blickers,
But no one will go back to the "market pundits" and ask them why they were so wrong. A lot of them predicted a crash in 2014 as well. If you bailed then, you would have missed a pretty good year. When President Obama let the Bush tax cut lapse (well mostly), Forbes ran an editorial saying we were going to have a serious recession. Nope. Never saw a mea culpa.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 01:39 pm
@engineer,
The reason 'expert' economists disagree on so many forecasts is the simple fact that economics is not science. It's more an art; an educated guess.
If one understands macro and micro economics, it's somewhat of an advantage over people without such knowledge - IMHO. I try to keep up with economic news to determine what I think will affect our economy. I still believe in long-term economic outlook, and don't worry about the daily ups and downs of the stock market. I also ignore the doom and gloomers. They seem to be popping up more frequently of late.
roger

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 02:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It looks to me like anyone can predict economic disaster, and if they are wrong, nobody remembers. If they are right 10% of the time, those times are what is remembered. They are elevated to 'guru' status. Gloom and doom are therefore very safe predictions.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 10:17 pm
@roger,
I think you're right. Many have predicted economic disaster. How many remember those? I don't even believe they've been right 10% of the time. That's the reason why so many lost in 2008. Whose listening?

It seems Peter Schiff predicted the crisis in 2006. How many people is going to believe a two year forecast of a financial crisis?

I've read several articles recently about an impending crisis, but they don't tell us when it's going to happen. Two years? Five years? Ten years? How long?
Blickers

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 10:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Schiff predicted that gold would rise to $5,000 and ounce.

By the way, Schiff is a gold dealer.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2016 07:25 am
@cicerone imposter,
When the 'bubble' bursts - The US is buggered - And it will.
Forecasting it is a different entity.
Schiff, et al are 'heavily' invested in rare metals, and will tell you all the bollux available to force you into corners that are profitable to themselves.
When the petrodollar collapses - You'd better be awake.

Check out 'Stormcloudsgathering' on youtube 'If US access is available.
Aaron has done the homework for you.
Google are trying to 'wipe' him from the web, so be quick.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2016 10:05 pm
Dow over 18,000. Wonder if it goes up over 19,000 by end of the year.

Economy looking pretty good.