A (mostly silly) Literary Digression.

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:29 am
Sally Fields is a stage name. She was born Elly C. N. Fields. Whether Byron, Shelly, or Keats was the father has not been ascertained, as Ms. Parker was busy counting chips in a fresco during conception and did not ascertain the identity of the sower.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:38 am
Dill pickle chips are most excellent.
Especially after a book cull.
Very stimulating.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:39 am
Anyone wanna dance?
I've got groovy new shoes and I wanna kick it out.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:40 am
Hold on. I've got to put on my (my my my my my my my) my dancin' shoes.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:43 am
Lord Byron? Who the heck is he? I was talking about Lord Bryson, famous Aussie author, best known for his poem "She hops quite lepine through the night."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:44 am
If I gave you everything that I owned
And asked for nothing in return
Would you do the same for me as I do for you?
Or take me for a ride
Strip me of everything including my pride
But spirit is something no one destroys
And the sound that I'm hearing is only the sound
The low spark of high-heeled boys
High-heeled boys, high-heeled boys
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:47 am
sozobe wrote:
You don't have a "bedside table"?

I want that book!! (The Namesake.) Was excerpted in the New Yorker, looked fantastic. "The Interpreter of Maladies" is one of my all-time faves.

Gautam -- random observation, tell me what you think. I started getting seriously into modern Indian fiction about 15 years ago. Then, it seemed like if there was a novel by an Indian author published here, it was good, period. (I could come up with titles but my brain is mushy yet. Rushdie, obviusly. Seth. Some Mistry I think.)

Then about -- what -- 8 years ago? it became a thing. Oooh, Modern Indian Fiction! "The God of Small Things", Rushdie again, other stuff. It became a publishing phenomenon.

So where I was used to picking up a book with an Indian name and an "exotic" looking cover -- red and gold predominated -- and being assured it was good, a lot of the more recent ones seem eh.

Or is that me getting more jaded?

Soz, you are not alone in this - see we think alike !!

I also am pretty wary of the modern Indian literature right now. When the initial boom happened, I think it was something new to the western world. I mean, how often did you see an Indian author being published in the west ?

I think that the problem has been over exposure. Once a select few authors started getting fame, everyone sort of jumped on the band wagon (after all income in $s is far more than income in Rupees) and an obvious result was the detoriation in quality.

One of the other reasons IMO (which is never humble btw) that the Indian authors have not been able to evolve. The books are the same - realtionships in an Indian context, poverty, hardships etc etc - The novelty wears off after a while !
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:59 am
True, true. My first exposure to Partition was "Midnight's Children", I think. Then it was just whammo, great marriage of subject and teller. Since then it's been SO MUCH about the same subject, directly or indirectly. (I.e. either Partition itself or Muslim/ Hindu relations.) And caste, and...

Yeah, I think novelty has a lot to do with it. Part of why I like Jhumpa Lahiri so much -- she seems to break the mold.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:00 am
ehBeth wrote:
The low spark of high-heeled boys

Where ? Where ?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:02 am
Church Street, baby, Church Street!

one of my neighbours is a cleaning lady. she's learned that one of her employers comes home - walks into his closet - and reappears in a dress and pumps. she no longer wonders who those big stilettos are for
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:09 am
The percentage you're paying
Is too high priced
When you're living beyond all your means
And the man in a suit
Has just bought himself a car
From the profit he's made on your dreams
But today you just read that the man was shot dead
By a gun that didn't make any noise
But it wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest
T'was the low spark of high heeled boys . . .

(I saw the tour they did for that album, Stevie sounds better life than he does in a recording . . .)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:16 am
I've been a huge Stevie fan for years. Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, Blind Faith, the solo stuff....amazing performer.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:21 am
He really is one of those people with a voice so fine that no recording does it justice. I saw him at William and Mary Hall in Williamsburg, with perfect accoustics, and it just blew me away . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:30 am
Quoting Dlowan -
I also bought a book by the Australian ethicist on Bush's ethics....this also looks fascinating....quite a grab bag!!!!

Is that Peter Singer you are talking about?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 05:47 pm
Yes. But, you know, I have not found it amongst the pile - I THOUGHT I bought it!

I looked at a bunch of Singers yestiddy....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 06:51 pm
I never realized that dlowan was an avid sewer.

<running away before she works that one out>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 08:17 pm
Well, I can't - so run right back here and tell me what the smeg you mean!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 08:17 pm
Oh - groannnnnnnnnnnnnn.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 01:10 am
Well, I've saved a NYT review of it on my desktop for I hate to say how long, since I kept clicking on it and deciding to read it later. Eventually I transferred it to my "document, subjects" file, where it continued to languish. I looked at it to give you a link today, only to find it................ empty.
Sigh.

Maybe I'll try that one more time. If I am not back, you'll know it's gone gone gone.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 01:56 am
Deception Point by Dan Brown (which I am currently reading) is implausible, cliche'd, over the top. But by god it is fast moving and unputdownable. Sort of like Matthew Reily's Temple.

These books are great for the morning commute, though I wont read it on the beach and at night (when I do my serious reading)
0 Replies