Is culture really all about terror management?

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 08:04 am
@Leadfoot,
Nobody here has said that people were using god for terror management. You're the one who said that it's the story, stupid. Who the f*ck is KBM?

You can't even keep track of your own arguments, but you want to sneer at what other people have to say? That's pathetic. No wonder you default to name-calling so quickly.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 08:10 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Not that Jesus was God (he was very insistent that he wasn't) but of course lot's of people other than his followers died for the sake of their belief in God.

You can't break free from the ad populum appeal, can you?

Quote:
KBM never could bring himself to acknowledge the universal "pull of God" but that's a lot easier to believe than 'people are suckers for a good story teller' or 'people are using God for terror management'. That's just a desperate ploy to justify rejection of that 'pull'.

All you have to do is show some genuine, credible evidence for your so-called "pull of God." Until you do, you're no different from all the others who make outlandish claims about divinity of this or that unseen, undetectable entity. Ho-hum. http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/bored-1.gif
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 08:25 am
@FBM,
Quote:
All you have to do is show some genuine, credible evidence for your so-called "pull of God." Until you do, you're no different from all the others who make outlandish claims about divinity of this or that unseen, undetectable entity. Ho-hum
I would, but you'd just yell 'ad populum!' again and here we'd be.

If I argued there was something invisible but real (dark matter, dark energy, whatever) affecting the motion of all the billions of stars in all the galaxies, I'm guessing you as a physicist would say it's an ad populum argument.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 08:27 am
@FBM,
BTW, sorry for misspelling your a2k handle. I knew my spell checker Set would catch it.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 08:53 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
All you have to do is show some genuine, credible evidence for your so-called "pull of God." Until you do, you're no different from all the others who make outlandish claims about divinity of this or that unseen, undetectable entity. Ho-hum
I would, but you'd just yell 'ad populum!' again and here we'd be.

If you had some genuine, credible evidence, it would be free of all logical fallacies, and I wouldn't be able to point them out. Simple logic, you see.

Quote:
If I argued there was something invisible but real (dark matter, dark energy, whatever) affecting the motion of all the billions of stars in all the galaxies, I'm guessing you as a physicist would say it's an ad populum argument.

You don't seem to understand what arumentum ad populum means. There is falsifiable evidence that points to some unknown, undefined elements tentatively labelled as dark matter and energy. Whatever it is, it's pointed to unequivocally by observation, even if it only turns out to be flaws in the Standard Model. You know, empirical evidence. Whereas all you seem to have is the observation that lots of other people have shared your belief without even having any credible evidence. Big, big difference.

Quote:
you as a physicist

Strawman.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 09:22 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Whereas all you seem to have is the observation that lots of other people have shared your belief without even having any credible evidence.
Actually, I've never met anyone who shared my belief, either in real life or online. Just believing in a God is a far cry from sharing a belief.

It is the urge to know that is shared by many (including you).
FBM

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 09:34 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
Whereas all you seem to have is the observation that lots of other people have shared your belief without even having any credible evidence.
Actually, I've never met anyone who shared my belief, either in real life or online. Just believing in a God is a far cry from sharing a belief.

How? And if so, why do you keep referring to the numbers of others who believe in the same god as you do, if it's so irrelevant?

Quote:
It is the urge to know that is shared by many (including you).

Back to the ad populum addiction, I see. I'm still waiting for your evidence that shows a clear connection between curiosity and the existence of your favorite god. You seem to keep making that connection as if it were explained, but without actually explaining it with, you know, evidence.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 10:04 am
This would be the perfect time for a feature that sends an unending argument that is irrelevant to the thread topic, to the 'Cornfield"
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 10:40 am
Oh yes...very true.
Culture is mind control over masses...and well due.
Every time I recall that experience from the sixties to study psychopaths where they faked employing people to give electric shocks under orders of a boss to people being interrogated and 66% of all subjects went above lethal dosage under orders, how shell I put it, well...I was enlightened about my surroundings and people's ability to think for themselves. People are stupid !
And not just a little bit...the genius are the just a little bit stupid kind...all the others are stupid beyond infinity, stupid beyond measure...to put it bluntly a freaking doomed species !
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 10:41 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
True that. But I can't stop myself.

I'm surprised that FBM would even start a thread on 'culture' , being so tightly tied to 'ad populum' ya know..
Foofie

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 01:17 pm
This is the author that helped spread the term Terror Management Theory, as his insights into social psychology. There are apparently academics that value his contribution.
http://ernestbecker.org/
manored

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 03:34 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I'm not forgetting anything--where do you come up with that? I wasn't saying that city dwellers had no parasites, just that nomadic hunter gatherers did. Find someone else for useless arguments. Hey . . . there's Leadfoot, he's always ready to trash a thread for no discernible reason.
You're the one who made a big deal out of it. But whatever, its indeed off-topic.

Leadfoot wrote:

The argument had nothing to do with popularity. It was debunking the absurd idea that the appeal of 'Jebus' was attributable to great story tellers.
What's absurd about it? Yeah if the story had been told 2000 years ago and endured to this day by itself that would be impressive, but it was not. There was an organized religion built around it, which continued to reinforce and reinvent the idea throughout the centuries. That's what allowed it to endure to the present day. Modern Christians do not at all practice the same Christianism than early Christians did. Even after the religion was organized, it continued to change. Jesus's story doesn't have universal appeal, the story is changed to appeal to each era.

Leadfoot wrote:

See any enduring believer groups built around Shakespeare? Kapeach?
I dunno who Kapeach is and couldn't find anything about him, but its hardly the same. Firstly, Shakespeare's work had nothing to do with religion nor did anyone important try to cast him as a messenger from god later. Secondly, he lived on a time where people were far more knowledgeable... a time where it would have taken far more penwork to convince people of that the true god had revealed itself.
Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 03:40 pm
@manored,
You'd choke to death rather than admit you're wrong, wouldn't you. You erected a straw man and i knocked it down. Get over it.
Tuna

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 03:49 pm
@Setanta,
I think knocking over strawmen is just unfair. They can't defend themselves. They don't have muscles. I mean... all they have is straw. Put yourself in their shoes.

They probably don't even have shoes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 04:00 pm
You're very hard on me . . . what makes you so cruel?
Tuna

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 04:02 pm
@Setanta,
Hard childhood. My brother strapped firecrackers to all my astronauts and blew them up.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 08:41 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
This would be the perfect time for a feature that sends an unending argument that is irrelevant to the thread topic, to the 'Cornfield"

Little Anthony would agree.

https://thenightgallery.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/its-a-good-life11.jpg

He needs to see a dentist, but he can't 'cause he wished them all into the Cornfield.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 09:44 pm
@wmwcjr,
But, did he get the crop he expected from his sacrifice?
FBM

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 09:44 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

True that. But I can't stop myself.

I'm surprised that FBM would even start a thread on 'culture' , being so tightly tied to 'ad populum' ya know..

I'm thinking about starting another thread about Logic 101, and maybe another about Basic Reading Comprehension. Just for you and your fellow invisible guy-in-the-sky proponents. Not that I expect it would help, actually.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 09:45 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

This is the author that helped spread the term Terror Management Theory, as his insights into social psychology. There are apparently academics that value his contribution.
http://ernestbecker.org/

Thanks for that. http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/tiphat_1.gif