Fired for Eating Pork

Jim

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 10:35 pm
http://www.local6.com/money/3614199/detail.html

Woman Fired For Eating 'Unclean' Meat
Attorney: 'It's A Classic Case Of Religious Discrimination'
POSTED: 5:46 am EDT August 4, 2004
UPDATED: 2:53 pm EDT August 4, 2004
ORLANDO, Fla. -- A Central Florida woman was fired from her job after eating "unclean" meat and violating a reported company policy that pork and pork products are not permissible on company premises, according to Local 6 News.

Lina Morales was hired as an administrative assistant at Rising Star -- a Central Florida telecommunications company with strong Muslim ties, Local 6 News reported.
However, 10 months after being hired by Rising Star, religious differences led to her termination.
Morales, who is Catholic, was warned about eating pizza with meat the Muslim faith considered "unclean," Local 6 News reported. She was then fired for eating a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich, according to the report.
"Are you telling me they fired you because you had something with ham on it?" Local 6 News reporter Mike Holfeld asked.
"Yes," Morales said.

Holfeld asked, "A pizza and a BLT sandwich?"
" Yes," Morales said.
Local 6 News obtained the termination letter that states she was fired for refusing to comply with company policy that pork and pork products are not permissible on company premises.
However, by the company's own admission to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, that policy is not written, Local 6 News reported.
"Did you ever sign to or agree to anything that said I will not eat pork?" Holfeld asked Morales.
"Never," Morales said. "When I got hired there, they said we don't care what religion you are."
Attorney Travis Hollifield is representing Morales in a lawsuit against the company.
"It's just un-American," Hollifield said. "It's not in compliance with the laws of this country."
Local 6 News reported that the case has precedent-setting issues because it addresses employee rights and religion in the workplace.
"It's a classic case of religious discrimination," Hollifield said. "They have not articulated a single reason other than religious reason behind the policy."
The CEO of Rising Star, Kujaatele Kweli, told Local 6 News that they have tried to create an office that accommodates anybody's religion -- not just Islam.
"Clearly you're accommodating," Holfeld said.
"Yes." Kweli replied.
"And you have an ecumenical philosophy," Holfeld said.
" Yes," Kweli replied.
"(Then) shouldn't you be able to accommodate all faiths in the same lunch room?" Holfeld asked.
"We do, we can," Kweli said.
"But you've dismissed one of your employees for eating pork in the lunch room," Holfeld said.
"Yes, pork is considered unclean," Kweli said.
The Koran forbids Muslims from eating pork. And according to Kweli, Morales and every employee at the company is advised of the no pork policy.
"Our point of view is to respect the laws of the land and the laws of the land as I understand it is to the accommodate people's right to practice their religions if you can," Kweli said.
"Even if it impacts other people?" Holfeld asked.
"Well, it always impacts other people," Kweli replied.
Orlando attorney Mark Nejame is close to the Muslim community, Local 6 News reported. He said Kweli's intentions may cross constitutional parameters, according to the report.
"They're making it seem that if you don't follow a certain set of religious practices and beliefs then you're going to be terminated and that's wrong," Nejame said. "If this case prevails, what it will mean -- the implications of this case -- is it will eliminate accommodations of religion."
Both sides are steadfast in their belief that they are right. Morales is taking the company to court charging discrimination, Local 6 News reported.
Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

That's right, Sports Fans. Right here in the U.S. of A.

When I came to work here in Sandland 12 years ago I understood I would have to honor their customs and traditions. After all, it's their country. However, I would like to see our customs and traditions honored in our country as well.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,220 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 11:29 pm
Sheeet, I saw the title and thought it meant you. Shocked

Quite frankly, I'm glad one of our customs is not being so anal about our customs.
0 Replies

Yoda

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 11:41 pm
Does anyone have an address for that company? I think I'll put some un-cured pork in an envelope and mail it off to them. http://wrestlingubbins.samoajoe.com/images/smilies/gubbins/blink.gif
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 06:08 am
I don't know about this. As a private company, IMO, an organization has the right to set policies. It is then up to the potential employee to decide whether he/she is willing to abide by the policies.

What I would like to know is whether the woman was told of this rule BEFORE she was hired, and was it clearly stated in the companies' policy and procedure handbook? I think that would make the difference.

I worked for a religious organization, that had views counter to my own. We had certain guidelines that we had to abide by (which were far more serious than eating a BLT sandwich). At one point in my career, I had to make a decision as to whether I could continue to work there, because of the guideline.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 06:31 am
I love Kwelis logic. Its so Muslim in its interpretation
"We have a democracy in which we are all free to follow the Koran"

Yet we, as the "great" state of Florida , will give a moments consideration about whether to allow Muslim women to pose in their ski masks for their drivers ID.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 06:36 am
Phoneix, if you had read the thread through, you'd see that this was not a published policy of the company, that the woman was not made aware of this in advance. Only religious organizations engaged in their legitimate religious activities are exempted from equal employment opportunity requirements of the Civil Rights Act. The fact that this is a privately owned company does not authorize such a policy.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 10:26 am
Sounds like an Urban Legend to me. Anyone check the validity of the story?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 10:28 am
Ash, Jim's original link shows a posting time just before 6:00 a.m., yesterday (August 4th).
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 11:40 am
I don't see the difference between this and making someone wear long pants or a tie to work. If it's in the company lounge they have the right to set the rules. If she found the rules opressive at a private employer, she could have quit and found work elsewhere. No biggie.

If this were a public institution I would be very upset. If they followed her and saw her eating off property I would be very upset. If she was instigating because she knew what the rules were, then she got what she deserved. I'm not suggesting she was, but it's entirely possible.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 03:05 pm
Another example of the wonderful side effects of organized religion and the mentality of people who take it so seriously... Rolling Eyes

Yeah, the company can do whatever it wants. Doesn't make it any less stupid.
0 Replies