No top replies

carditel

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 02:35 pm
shape
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 07:23 am
Shadow.

I once heard a tesseract model described as the shadow of a four-dimensional shape.
0 Replies

bcKay

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 11:49 am
Yep...just as a line is the shadow of the square, a square is a shadow of a cube.

But also...if you draw two lines parallel to each other and connect the ends you get a square. If you draw two squares parallel to each other and connect the corners you get a cube and (yes, you've guessed it) if you draw two cubes parallel to each other and connect the (same) corners you get a tesseract!
0 Replies

whimsical

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 11:50 am
Don't you mean 3-D-shape?

Whim
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 12:58 pm
No. A tesseract (also known as a hyper-cube) is actually a four-dimensional shape. We are able to postulate the existence of such shapes, but can only physically render them in three dimensions.

I suppose mathemeticians can actually visualize this stuff. I'm forced to rely on their descriptions.
0 Replies

bcKay

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 12:41 am
A tesseract is a 3D shadow of a 4D shape that can be represented in 2D
0 Replies

Vi

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 07:14 am
I like the answer shadow, except I see no reason it shouldn't exist in 1 dimension (a line). the answer shape is definitely not correct. I would go with shadow and say the author is a bit confused on dimensions

a tesseract is a 4 dimensional analog to the cube which can only be represented physically by creating a 3d shadow. like our normal shadows, the shape of the tesseract can be represented in many different ways in three dimensions, depending on the angle of the tesseract to the light source. Its true beauty is only apparent in the imagination
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 08:14 am
If a shadow uses one less dimension than the original shape and the original shape is one dimensional, then the shadow would be zero dimensional. A point?
0 Replies

Vi

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:31 am
a point, exactly. or... my point exactly. its still a shadow. possible that the author of the riddle forgot that there was a 0 dimension, thought 1 was a point or something. it happens. I happen to like shadow as an answer.
0 Replies

Vi

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 01:16 am
oh, and I just noticed the curious lack of "it is two dimensional in a three dimensional world". makes me wonder if its supposed to be something that exists in three dimensions, since three is obviously the easiest dimension for us to think about.
0 Replies

hollybrook

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 04:25 am
I think the reason they said that it couldn't exist in a 1 dimentional space is because a point in one dimentional space is infinately small. Is that right?
0 Replies

Vi

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 05:20 pm
no smaller than a line in 2 dimensional space. they are all infinately small. ever try to weigh a shadow?
0 Replies

hollybrook

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 10:30 pm
good point.
0 Replies

c k b 69

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 08:40 am
Thankyou!
I've spent the last 48 hours scouring the internet for the answer to that riddle!

Thankyou the answer was shadow.

This question was a riddle in a game called Excelsior. I had know idea they would make it so hard.

Thanks again,
Colin
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 08:56 am
On-line of off-the-shelf?
0 Replies

c k b 69

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 09:46 am
It's an old top down RPG. The puzzle was just a small part of the game, but there are a few of them in it.

It's a shareware game, all the details can be found at:

http://www.nwlink.com/~dberke/default.htm
0 Replies