Resurrect old Rain Soft system or leave in bypass?

mchimes

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 11:28 am
Hello,

First time poster here. Thanks in advance for your expertise. 9 years ago we bought an old house in Orlando which had a water filtering contraption on the exterior of the house. I saw that the device was in bypass and honestly never messed with it.

Fast forward to last week. I'm at Home Depot and get pitched on a home water test by a "water treatment expert." I knew it was a sales pitch but I was also interested in seeing what they had to say about the water (everyone says how terrible FL water is right?) and I got $20 gift card. It was a Rain Soft rep- he came, did the tests, made the pitch and left.

The next day, I looked more closely at the system and saw that is indeed a Rain Soft silver series. It has not been used in at least 9 years. I know the low voltage power cord was cut doing some lawn work and one of the plastic gears under the hood is missing a few teeth. At any rate, I wanted to see if it's worth resurrecting this thing or leaving it be.

A further wrinkle . . . I had another company come out to assess it today. He said he would retrofit the whole head assemble with his company's digital timer head, replace the pistons, resin, charcoal, clean and replace the salt and do a chlorine purge of the pipes in the house: all for $770. I asked him if I could just fix the power issue and the bad timer and he said I could contact Rain Soft about that but the warranty would probably not extend to subsequent owner.

Sooo, do I leave this thing in bypass and keep using municipal water, go with a $770 third-party retrofit or try and deal with Rain Soft repair protocol?

What would you do?

Thanks,
Mike
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,476 • Replies: 0
No top replies