Jesus the teetotaler?

Thor

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 06:06 am
Forgive me if this has been discussed...

I was recently made aware that there are some christians who believe that Jesus never drank "alcoholic" wine.

I'm wondering if this is a widely held view?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,051 • Replies: 25
No top replies

fortune

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 06:48 am
Not that I know of. I mean he changed water to wine at that wedding at Cana right.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 06:51 am
I know that he preferred a light beer.

Not sure about his taste in wine.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 07:24 am
Wait a minute! Jesus did that whole "water into wine" trick. Don't tell me that was some that crappy "non-alcoholic" wine! He wouldn't have many followers if he changed water into grape juice!
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 07:27 am
I like grape juice...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 07:35 am
while it is true that jesus avoided french wines for political reasons, he was fond of portugese vinho verde and some italian chianti wines. he also eschwed the tradional corked wines finding them overly pretensious, tis far easier for a napa blanc to pass thru the eye of a needle than a australian rose'.
0 Replies

Thor

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 07:51 am
Nick-
That's what I thought.... but I was presented with this:

Quote:
Pertaining to the wine in question at the first miracle of Jesus at the wedding in Cana of Galilee. At a Jewish wedding, and other Jewish celebrations, feasts, holidays, (in that day), there was not to be a trace of leven, or yeast, anywhere. You need leaven to make wine that has fermented and turned to alcohol, also Jesus never did anything contrary to The Word, He couldn't as He is the Word incarnate, (John1:1). Wine with an alcoholic content is refered to as strong drink, mingled wine, the red wine, but the wine we have here is simply the fruit of the vine, sorry Jesus never presented an occasion to drink alcohol, or the justification to do so.

(Personally, I don't buy into this "creative" interpretation.)
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 09:24 am
I don't buy it either Thor. Obviously Jesus didn't need leven or even grapes for that matter to make his wine. I suspect he made a fine '68 Bordeux with a nice kick to it.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 10:51 am
A man who knew his wines.
0 Replies

coming

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 10:53 am
Tip - Drink Wine if the water is dodgy
There is something in the bible which says they left the best of the wine until the end of the wedding celebration. Can you tell the best juice? I have heard that some christian sects forbid drinking of alcohol. I believe it is the mormon. Since the 80's quite a few churches use juice instead of wine on sunday mass. 1) Stricter drink drive law 2) Politically correct temperance movement 3) Can't afford it Sad
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 10:59 am
The bible says that they traditionally served the best wine FIRST so that by the time they ran out of the good stuff, noone would notice what utter plonk they were drinking.

Another incident of wine drinking. The last supper! No laws about leven there surely! (It was just a sleazy motel after all)
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 11:00 am
BTW, what poor church can't afford a bottle of vino to pass around?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 12:52 pm
If Jesus could make wine out of water then what difference does it make if they run out? Just go down to the well and it's party time!
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 01:38 pm
I was thinking it might have to do with making him look more like a nazir, but then I looked it up. A nazirite can't come into contact with the dead, cut his hair, or consume grape products.

Now I'm curious why they would make such a claim.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 01:41 pm
fortune: the last supper is commonly connected with Passover, on which all leaven is forbidden. That is why Easter always falls after Passover, or at least usually. I think sometimes the calendar screws up.

Edit: But it's important to note that we drink four cups of wine that day -- not really. But the wine is kosher for passover.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 01:47 pm
Okay, wierd rules, I'm confused. I'm just glad I was raised a Catholic were the rules of drinking are quite clear: If it don't have someone else's name on it, it's not forbidden.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 01:48 pm
BTW, nazir?
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 02:12 pm
Nazir is the same as nazirite. It sounds like "a beer." only in this case it has an 'n' and a 'z.'

A Nazirite is someone who makes a certain type of vow to God. They remain that way for a certain amount of time. The exception to this is Samson who does not choose to become a Nazirite. He is one from birth. That's why there's such a big deal with his hair.

It's all discussed in Numbers 6 if you really want to bother.

It's the only abstention from wine mentioned in Jewish tradition, so I thought there might be a connection. I know he's supposed to be born in Nazareth. I guess I was wrong.

Now I really want to know why he shouldn't be drinking.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 02:29 pm
Actually he was born in Bethlehem. (However you want to spell that)
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 02:37 pm
Then what's the significance of Nazareth? Is that where he was raised?
0 Replies