Should Airlines Be Allowed to Enforce Clothing Regulations?

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 05:12 am
Edit [Moderator]: Moved from General to Philosophy & Debate.

Quote:
Couple Kicked Off Flight Over Risque Shirt

By Associated Press

August 1, 2004, 9:53 PM EDT

MIAMI -- A couple returning home from a Costa Rican vacation was ejected from an American Airlines flight because the man was wearing a T-shirt depicting a bare breast.

Oscar Arela and his girlfriend were removed from Flight 952 on Saturday after he refused to change the shirt or turn it inside out at Miami International Airport.

The couple, who were making a connecting flight, said nobody on their earlier flight objected to the shirt and claimed the airline violated their constitutional right to free speech.

"It's a picture of a man and woman, and the woman's breast is showing," said his girlfriend, Tala Tow. "The flight attendant basically walked up to us and yelled, 'You have to take off that shirt right now.'"

American spokesman Tim Wagner said Sunday that crew members acted properly, and said the shirt was more graphic than the couple described. The airline gave them a refund, he said.

Wagner noted on American's Web site the policy clearly states that someone who is "clothed in a manner that would cause discomfort or offense to other passengers" can be removed from a flight.
Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press

OK. When I first saw that story, I thought it was very funny, and I had planned on making a wiseass crack about Bill and his love affair with Costa Rica.

When I thought about it though, I realized that the issue was much more complex. Do you think that it is appropriate for an airline to eject a customer for what they consider inappropriate dress? If so, should there be clearly defined parameters with which the crew needs to work? What should those guidelines be?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,447 • Replies: 30
No top replies

fortune

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 05:27 am
I think that people should be allowed to wear what they want, within certain standards (bare bums on publicly used seats is just too gross to think about). But I also think that if a garment (or lack thereof) is offensive to the point of creating an inflammatory situation, then the flight attendants should be allowed to remove that person from the flight for the good of (and safety of) the rest of the passengers.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 05:40 am
My point is how does one determine objectively what is appropriate, and what isn't? How does an airline address this issue equitably, to include all its passengers?

For instance, what if a person gets on the plane wearing a T shirt that bashes one or the other presidential candidates? What if a gorgeous girl walks on the plane with a bare midriff? What if the same piece of clothing (in the correct size) was worn by a woman who weighed 250 pounds?

My point is that a business has the right to determine standards for people using their services, but those standards have to be consistent, and applied fairly to everyone.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 05:54 am
I voted the first option. However, I think this may be beyond their bound of authority. I need more time to ponder.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 05:58 am
ok, everyone must wear brown shoes when flying from Orlando to Chicago O'Hare (but only on tuesdays)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 05:59 am
I'm thinking. My reflex reaction is that dress codes are needed in a number of public places--but the devil's in the details and who will bell the cat?
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 06:01 am
All passegers on inter-national flights must wear paper bags on their heads, unless travelling on connecting flights, in which case they must provide themselves with umbrellas (all of which must be of the standard yellow) except on Fridays when it's funny hat day.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 06:02 am
It's always a tough call to create rules which must be applied to such a diverse collection of humanity.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 08:55 am
I should think the airline should be able to set a standard for suitable dress. Consider, no one objects when restaurants or clubs set dress codes for their establishments.
That said the dress code should not be a spur of the moment decision by a flight attendant. But a well established and published policy.
On this one I can a lawsuit in the making.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 09:48 am
Oh man, this is a can of worms they shouldn't be opening.

Is a burkha okay? After all, if you need to present photo ID, you can't see the passenger's face.

Are stiletto heels okay? They could be used as weapons.

What about a really dirty tee shirt that stinks to high heavens? I'd think that would be more offensive than a bare breast depicted on a shirt.

Rules like this are difficult to enforce at best, and a lot more likely to result in arbitrary application. I suspect the fellow with the allegedly offensive shirt was somehow problematic in another way, say, that he wanted special consideration for something else. While there's no proof of that, flight attendants are only human and can certainly become annoyed in the face of noncooperation in several areas (not taking a seat quickly enough, not using a seatbelt, etc.).

Other than common decency (no bare breasts and no bare genitals or butts, plus no bare feet), I think nothing else could possibly be enforced. I mean, what does a flight attendant do if someone comes around and is wearing a klan hood? Or a tee shirt that says "Hitler was okay"? Or something more subtle, like "I want things the way they were in Mississippi in 1953"?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 09:50 am
Quote:
On this one I can a lawsuit in the making.

au1929 - Didn't think of that, but you may be right. I think that the standards have to be spelled out, very clearly, and not be based on the subjective decision of a flight attendant!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 10:51 am
Precursor...this post is NOT directed at anyone. I am just feeling feisty today. Very Happy

What the hell? Banning clothing now? Rolling Eyes A bare breast (on a tee shirt no less)...honestly how offensive is that, and to who? Kids see worse on cable tv during prime time! (more sexually suggestive stuff) Come on...these people need to get a grip. If you don't like it, don't look at it.

I can agree that there are sanitary standards as to what people should wear (no shirt, no shoes, no service) and I agree that schools should restrict the type of clothing due to the fact that they are "responsible" for those children during the day but grown adults at an airport? God. If this is where America is headed count me out. I'm going to go live in the hills somewhere. :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 10:56 am
If body odor is disallowed, what about offensive perfumes?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 11:01 am
Quote:
American spokesman Tim Wagner said Sunday that crew members acted properly, and said the shirt was more graphic than the couple described.

I would have loved to have seen a picture of the T shirt. I am really curious why that partictular piece of clothing was singled out as inappropriate.

Noddy- You have a good point. There are many people who are allergic to perfumes. I was working on a piece in a ceramics workshop. A woman walked in with a fragrance so strong, that you could have spotted her blocks away. My neighbor began to wheeze, and had a full blown asthma attack!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 11:09 am
Perfumes suck.

Note to europeans: Wash your clothes at least once a week. We know you only have one outfit and it is a pain to sit around naked for a couple hours, but deal. Maybe you could take a shower while the laudry is running. Use some deodorant too.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 11:11 am
Once upon a time in a more inhibited (but possibly also more civilized world) there was a commonly understood--although not always universally observed--dress code.

Sunday-Go-To-Meeting (Or Friday-Go-To-Temple): Clothing appropriate for honoring God.

Office wear: Professional suits.

Casual: Somewhat informal, but more fabric than bared flesh.

Formal: In group clothing worn to no other place at no other time of day.

Schlepping Around The House And Garden: Anything goes, but anything was probably washable.

Once upon a time....
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 12:24 pm
Interesting note:

As long as you cover yourself with the blanket from the overhead compartment, you can take your pants off during your flight.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 12:26 pm
ooh, mile high club!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 03:05 pm
If a man boards a plane with his penis sticking out then yes, he should be removed. But images on a t-shirt should not be grounds for expulsion.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 03:11 pm
What if the t-shirt depicted a terrorist detonating a bomb or a beheading? Methinks that would be inappropriate, especially at this moment in time.

Where to draw the line ...
0 Replies