Christian Archaeologists (Oxymoron?)

cruz

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:13 am
Well said
Doesn't matter whether they are scientists or Christians people will put their spin on everything they say according to the beliefs they hold. Some of sciences core beliefs are as unproveable as some of Christianity's doctrine. If we as humans would learn to value truth more than our personal beliefs we could progress. Most of the time truth is simple "we don't know."

SO why don't we try to prove our beliefs instead of blindly believing them first?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:21 am
cruz wrote.

Quote:
SO why don't we try to prove our beliefs instead of blindly believing them first?

Simply because the only thing that can be proven by the evidence at hand is that religion is based upon myths. It is the opiate of the masses.
0 Replies

cruz

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:23 am
Well said
It sometimes seems to me that in order to look at the world from a purely scientific standpoint, a religious person must become somewhat schizophrenic.

I disagree,If a religious person can prove what they believe it makes them more stable(anyone for that matter)

On the one hand you have the dogma of the church, on the other you have the dogma of the scientific world.
Although it is possible, given enough time and effort, to incorporate any scientific theorem into your chosen belief system, it is by far easier to simply compartmentalize the religious teachings into a religious "file" and the the scientific data into a scientific "file".

It shouldn't be that way,if you have to file it away then you haven't really believed what you think you believe.Faith has to be something you can stand firmly on becuase it is trustworthy.

The major drawback with this is that you find yourself with no absolute faith in anything. Although I suppose this might perhaps be a good thing for a scientist. After all, when you devote your life to science, you never know when you will be asked to completely overhaul your belief structure.

Not having faith in anything would basically make you non functioning and non existant.Even a vegetable has faith of a sort,It is something that has provable substance,A carrot seed proves itself by becoming a carrot.
0 Replies

cruz

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:30 am
hm
au1929 Simply because the only thing that can be proven by the evidence at hand is that religion is based upon myths. It is the opiate of the masses.

And you have proven this? that's pretty bold.What if it really happened when god said "let there be light "and there was light.Is it anymore far fetched to deciede to make a cake and then bake one?In one sense when you program a computer you are saying,not with your voice,but with sybols and calulations " let there be an application" You reasoning could very easily make windows a myth. (ha ha linux people think it is:P )
0 Replies

cruz

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:33 am
serious?
NickFun
I doubt many people take the Bible seriously...

If no one took the bible seriously it would have dissapeared 2000+ years ago
0 Replies

cruz

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:37 am
the sciences depend heavily on each other
Are you sue you mean archaeologist? Don't you mean, geologist or paleontologist or maybe anthropologist? I don't know that an archaeologist would be too concerned with the age of the world.

EdMark

Hey Ed,i think it's extremely important that all sciences depend on each other.You need a starting point to be able to say i found a 30,000 year old mummy:P,to understand the cause of death,how he lived,his enviroment,where his predicessors where from,
0 Replies

cruz

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:48 am
interesting:P
NickFun wrote:
A true archaelologist believes in science and sets his/her personal religious beliefs aside. If all scientists were swayed by Christian tradition we would never develope cures for disease, explored the heavens or developed any technology. As Louis Pasteur stated, "when you come into my laboratory, leave God outside".

I don't agree with him. But if thats the case shouldn't evolutionsts leave Darwin outside?

If you really looked at what the bible said you would know that God wants people to seek out truth.Light is often equated with truth. If you have light you can see where to walk.Same with truth....
0 Replies

cruz

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 12:03 pm
Re:let me ask you
cruz wrote:
NickFun wrote:
A true archaelologist believes in science and sets his/her personal religious beliefs aside. If all scientists were swayed by Christian tradition we would never develope cures for disease, explored the heavens or developed any technology. As Louis Pasteur stated, "when you come into my laboratory, leave God outside".

Do you know any more about what Louis Pasteur said about his faith and science? Did Pastuer agree with Darwin? why? or why not?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:31 pm
Cruz

What proof do you have that God said let their be light and there was light. In fact what proof is there that there even is a God? The bible and religion is something that must be accepted on blind faith. And I do mean blind.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 04:38 pm
Cruz you act like Darwin is a god for scientists. He has written and documented natural evidence to back up his claims. Christians have the bible, and that ends their evidence. The bible doesnt say, this happened and i can prove it because of this, this and this.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 06:55 pm
Re: yes christians can be archaeologists
cruz wrote:
I think the big flaw in aging the earth is most scientist don't take into consideration that different enviroment influences change the rate of decay in radioactive particals.

This is a lie, different environments have no effects upon radioactive decay. This has been extensively tested.
0 Replies