464 dead, 500 injured in Paraguay supermarket inferno

Thok

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 12:38 am
Quote:
A fire that raged through a supermarket crowded with weekend shoppers in Paraguay's capital has killed 275 people, Interior Minister Orlando Fiorotto has confirmed.

The toll is expected to rise with one local television station reported saying at least 340 bodies have been recovered from the blaze.

The fire -- followed by two explosions -- broke out around noon Sunday local time, and raged for seven hours before firefighters were able to put it out.

Some witnesses said victims were not able to escape the flames because the exits had been locked, possibly to avoid robberies, a claim denied by Juan Pio Paiva, the supermarket's owner.

Preliminary investigations focused on a possible short circuit and an accidental fire, officials said.

Nevertheless, Paiva said the fire could have been set intentionally.

The fire began on the first floor of the building and -- in addition to causing the fatalities -- left hundreds of people with severe burns and asphyxia.

Paraguyan President Nicanor Duarte Frutos, who visited the fire site, has asked the private sector to help the state's overwhelmed public health system.

"This is a moment of great anguish," Duarte said. according to The Associated Press.

"I've come here to provide support to the injured and the families of the deceased," he said.

Badly burned bodies could be seen as they were taken away after the fire in a scene of confusion as firefighters scrambled through smoking, charred debris.

Among the fatalities were numerous children, who had been accompanying their parents for their weekend shopping or eating in the commercial complex's restaurant.

Victim's bodies were laid out on pavement in front of a discotheque next to the three-story downtown building.

In addition to the market and restaurant, the building included offices and an underground parking garage.

Hundreds of people were inside the store when the explosions occurred, witnesses said.

Television footage showed several levels of the multi-level supermarket covered in soot, including the lower level parking garage.

Public Health Minister Julio Cesar Velazquez told reporters, "I have never seen a disaster like this. The firefighters were taking out, as best as they could, the bodies, the injured and people suffering from smoke inhalation. It's horrible."

Link-CNN

well, that´s a inferno, indeed.
The exits had been locked, possibly to avoid robberies. stupid
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 757 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Thok

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 09:32 am
Now Paraguayan official says 296 confirmed dead.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 10:07 am
I heard this on BBC last night. But there has been NOTHING (that I have heard, anyway) on American news. Is American news slow or do Americans just not care about world news unless it affects them?
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 10:30 am
No oil & no American tourists in Paraguay, I guess.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 10:37 am
Equus wrote:
Is American news slow or do Americans just not care about world news unless it affects them?

well, I guess both.
Look (example) on the US CNN website. This occurrence is not on the home page.

Læknir Scrat wrote:
No oil & no American tourists in Paraguay, I guess.

also true
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 04:56 am
Anti-Americanism in the air? I bet it's the Toronto Star :wink:
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:10 am
I heard about this from my Catalan cousin. Hmm. If your supermarket is on fire, and everything is burning, what sort of idiot is going to loot?

0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:22 am
Nobody. Actually they shot the the firemens. crackpot actions from the owners.
0 Replies